An Old School Catholic Message Board

Concelebration

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

I don't get it. I got bored with torts today and read a book about canon law and V2 we had in the law library. The part on concelebration was like gibberish. Actually, the book was poorly written, but I found some interesting quotes from Ignatius of Antioch.
I just don't understand concelebration. It seems weird theologically and frankly looks weird liturgically.
Illuminae my ignorance, O learned Phatmassers!

This might help:
[url="http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/concelebration.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/concelebration.shtml[/url]

Concelebration is the practice by which “several priests, in virtue of Christ’s own Priesthood and in the person of the High Priest, act together with one voice and one will; so also do they confect and offer a single sacrifice by a single sacramental act and likewise partake of the same.”

There's more in that link.

It may seem strange, but the previous way of handling it was even weirder. In OKC, the chapel at the Pastoral Center (where the seminary used to be) was designed so that many priests could say masses at the same time. On one side built into the wall were a whole bunch of windows. On the right side, they were mirrored in design with stained glass windows looking outside, but on the left side they were kind of frosted glass set into the wall, zig-zagging every four feet or so. On the other side of that wall, was a long passage with a whole bunch of doors, and inside each door was a small altar looking out through the frosted glass towards the altar in the chapel next door. It reminded me of study corrals in the college library. So all the priests who lived at the seminary could say mass at the same time, without being in the same room. It must have been like saying mass in a closet, because I guess it was.