An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Morality Of Fashion Mags

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

So I was wondering if there were any other Catholic chicks out there that like fashion magazines but have concerns about the content. I mean, there's the nudity, there's the vanity, the eating disorders,etc.
Any thoughts?

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1678854' date='Oct 16 2008, 01:41 AM']So I was wondering if there were any other Catholic chicks out there that like fashion magazines but have concerns about the content. I mean, there's the nudity, there's the vanity, the eating disorders,etc.
Any thoughts?[/quote]

Yeah, I just don't read them anymore. Well... I do read sewing fashion magazines. It is about sewing though and different patterns and styles; strictly clothing and what is new in the fashion industry; as far as styles and trends. It seemed to me that I was finding in a lot of the fashion magazines a lot of immoral articles and advertisements. "Garbage in garbage out." - my Godmother

I stopped reading them. I haven't found if there can be a healthy interest in fashion. I am just not sure yet. I mean... trends and fashion is of the world. Then again, as a lay person we are encouraged to dress nice and be presentable. I just don't know if there can be a healthy interest in fashion, and even if the last excuse is good enough to have such a great interest in it. Some people need to though so as to evangelize and promote modesty and virtues in the industry. Hmm... I don't know.

Saint Therese

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1678858' date='Oct 16 2008, 01:47 AM']It really depends on the motive to reading it...[/quote]
Yes, thats true.

One of the tings ihave a problem with is that I don't buy what they're selling: that worldly things are important, or most important. That, and the nudity, and lesbian and heroin chic.
Gross. :ohno:

I recently subscribe to a magazine. but once i recieved my first issue, i wish i hadn't signed up. it's grose and mostly advertising. so I don't read it anymore....but on the bright side i got a free bag out of it :D

It's not just fashion mags. It's also design magazines that make you want to spend $25,000 on a new spa bathroom, or car mags that make you want to restore that 56 Vette. Remember what Hannibal Lector said, "we covet what we see." The purity prayer says to shield your eyes.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1678858' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:47 PM']It really depends on the motive to reading it...[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
I don't agree. I think if a woman reads those magazines regularly, she will start to subconsciously think of herself, other women, and men in a different way. those magazines regularly show airbrushed, very skinny, perfect skin/hair models. yeah, that's realistic. :rolleyes: and the articles? don't get me started. in 'seventeen' magazine (which i got this week to make a point for youth group), there was an article about 'the truth about the pill' (which was a bunch of nonsense), an article about 'i fell in love with my best friend (a pro-gay article), and an article about 'the perfect kiss'. all in a magazine that is mostly about fashion, that is geared towards the tweens, teens, and a little older. cosmo, glamour are just as bad (if not worse).

i don't think anyone should read these magazines on a regular basis. grounded in the faith or not. same goes with 'celebrity gossip' magazines (like Us Weekly, and others). it focuses us too much on 'of the world' things - like money, jewelry, makeup, fashion, sex in a relationship. nowhere do ANY of these magazines mention God or a higher power. nowhere. (except for the 'astrology' parts, which we know that's working for the wrong guy ;) )

edit: i know that most here will disagree with me, and that's fine. :) but i honestly don't see the value in these magazines. there are other ways to find out what the fashion is (and be modest about it) instead of these magazines.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1678968' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:30 AM']It's not just fashion mags. It's also design magazines that make you want to spend $25,000 on a new spa bathroom, or car mags that make you want to restore that 56 Vette. Remember what Hannibal Lector said, "we covet what we see." The purity prayer says to shield your eyes.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
totally agreed! i think, in part, fashion magazines, and celebrity magazines are partly to blame for how people spend money in this country. we want what celebrities have, even though we can't afford it, and so we put ourselves on credit to be able to afford it. homes, jewelry, fashion, etc.

puellapaschalis

I think I agree with Lil Red here; when I was a teenager I'd read magaines like Just 17 (this is the UK, remember), Cosmo, Marie Claire, Zest and the like. It's all trash. Even Zest, which started off with a supposed emphasis on fitness and health and not the usual woman-mag rubbish, turned out like that after a while. It took me years before I (intellectually) cottoned on to the whole airbrushing thing - and whilst I'm sure people might read this and think "Uh, PP...you didn't know? Everyone knew! How dumb are you?!"...well, that's just the person I am, ok? I believe a lot of stuff I see and read.

Anyway, I don't even want to think about what it did to my self-esteem and image. The effect it can have goes beyond just one of what you look like: it affects how you relate to yourself and others around you. And it takes years to even start trying to shift it.

I think that it is interesting how things like this can affect people unconsciously.

I started watching Much Music (Canada's MTV) a while back in an attempt to understand my youth better. I ended up feeling fat, ugly, and poor in a very short time.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='prose' post='1679045' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:11 PM']I think that it is interesting how things like this can affect people unconsciously.

I started watching Much Music (Canada's MTV) a while back in an attempt to understand my youth better. I ended up feeling fat, ugly, and poor in a very short time.[/quote]

A while ago I had to make a conscious decision to not watch MTV or TMF anymore.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1679066' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:26 PM']A while ago I had to make a conscious decision to not watch MTV or TMF anymore.[/quote]

TMF?

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1679008' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:51 PM']+J.M.J.+
I don't agree. I think if a woman reads those magazines regularly, she will start to subconsciously think of herself, other women, and men in a different way. those magazines regularly show airbrushed, very skinny, perfect skin/hair models. yeah, that's realistic. :rolleyes: and the articles? don't get me started. in 'seventeen' magazine (which i got this week to make a point for youth group), there was an article about 'the truth about the pill' (which was a bunch of nonsense), an article about 'i fell in love with my best friend (a pro-gay article), and an article about 'the perfect kiss'. all in a magazine that is mostly about fashion, that is geared towards the tweens, teens, and a little older. cosmo, glamour are just as bad (if not worse).

i don't think anyone should read these magazines on a regular basis. grounded in the faith or not. same goes with 'celebrity gossip' magazines (like Us Weekly, and others). it focuses us too much on 'of the world' things - like money, jewelry, makeup, fashion, sex in a relationship. nowhere do ANY of these magazines mention God or a higher power. nowhere. (except for the 'astrology' parts, which we know that's working for the wrong guy ;) )

edit: i know that most here will disagree with me, and that's fine. :) but i honestly don't see the value in these magazines. there are other ways to find out what the fashion is (and be modest about it) instead of these magazines.[/quote]

I agree.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1679067' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:27 PM']TMF?[/quote]

The Music Factory, owned by MTV. Just another music channel, one with actual music on it (unlike MTV).

I used to read them, being a teen myself. I did eventually cancel my subscription. The beauty and fashion is one thing--I do like to see what's in style and get ideas. We can, and should, look good, providing we're not vain about it.

But when it became "how to be a great kisser" and sex questions and lesbianism...no thanks. As far as eating disorders, though, I've found that many of today's magazines are quick to denounce that and offer help for girls who are struggling, healthy recipes, etc.

They can be fun, but I think in the end they do more harm than good.