An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Reduces Abortions?

Lil Red

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1680041' date='Oct 17 2008, 06:59 PM']Isn't it amazing how someone who has never been married, or had children, can be so wise about human sexual relationships?[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='dUSt' post='1680048' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:03 PM']Christians have more abortions than any other religion.[/quote]

:shock:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1680342' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:17 PM']How about prayer and fasting?[/quote]

I vote this one. ^^^^

[url="http://www.40daysforlife.com"]Pray and Fast to stop abortion - 40 Days for Life[/url]

[quote name='Didymus' post='1679865' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:17 PM']Condoms don't kill babies. Sure there's still the sinful aspect of taking out procreation, but we would rather have that then abortive controceptives and surgical abortions, right?[/quote]
More contraception is most certainly NOT the solution to the abortion problem. Before abortion became widespread and accepted in our society, contraception first became widespread and accepted in our society. Widespread acceptance of abortion is a direct result of the "contraceptive mentality" in which sex is seen as only for pleasure, and human life that might result as an inconvenience to be avoided. If contraception fails, or is forgotten, then there's always the "choice" to get an abortion.

I've heard Fr. Euteneuer, president of the global pro-life organization Human Life International, say very insistently, that we will not make significant progress against abortion in this country until it is converted from the contraceptive mentality.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1679870' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:22 PM']do we need to convert the nation to Christianity before we stop the killing?[/quote]
In a word, yes.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1680048' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:03 PM']Christians have more abortions than any other religion.[/quote]
Source?
Whatever the statistics are, however, I think it safe to say that any "Christians" getting abortion are not living their religion.
I'm sure among truly committed, practicing Christians/Catholics (opposed to just nominal "Christians"), the abortion rates are much lower than among the population as a whole.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1679865' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:17 PM']Condoms don't kill babies. Sure there's still the sinful aspect of taking out procreation, but we would rather have that then abortive controceptives and surgical abortions, right?[/quote]
The moral principle is: [i]you may not do evil that good may come of it[/i], or put another way, [i]the ends do not justify the means[/i].

[quote name='Socrates' post='1681402' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:49 PM']Whatever the statistics are, however, I think it safe to say that any "Christians" getting abortion are not living their religion.
I'm sure among truly committed, practicing Christians/Catholics (opposed to just nominal "Christians"), the abortion rates are much lower than among the population as a whole.[/quote]

I totally agree.

I also think true Fatherhood needs to be restored in our culture, which would would help reinforce [i]true[/i] sexual responsibility (or as we Christians call it, Chastity)

[quote name='Didymus' post='1679870' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:22 PM']do we need to convert the nation to Christianity before we stop the killing?[/quote]
no.

The intrinsic evil of abortion can be made evident first... it may even lead toward conversion.

About Christians and abortion. There are a lot of gender selecting abortions going on in India and China. Neither has a majority of Christians. No specifics to cite, but I just heard somewhere that they don't have many Christians, so I could be wrong.