An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion Ships?!

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.americanpapist.com/blog.html"]h/t American Papist:[/url]
[quote]A Spanish pro-life group said it plans to protest the arrival on Thursday of a Dutch boat that is offering to provide abortions that circumvent Spain's strict laws.

The boat is due to anchor off the Mediterranean port of Valencia, the Dutch non-profit organisation Women on Waves said on its web site.

From Friday, it will offer abortions on the ship in international waters under the Netherlands' more liberal abortion laws.

This "symbolic initiative" will allow "abortions outside Spanish law for the first time in Spain's recent history, but without violating it," said Spanish gynaecologist Josep Lluis Carbonell, one of the promoters.

But it has already sparked controversy.

Valencia's conservative mayor Rita Barbera termed the plan a "provocation that has sparked indignation."

The anti-abortion group Provida in Valencia said its members plan a protest aboard a smaller vessels when the boat arrives.[/quote]

American Papist comments:
[quote]Note how members of the pro-abortion movement are willing to break and circumvent laws, while simultaneously criticizing pro-life people who try to save lives by working around government policies.[/quote]
:sadder: this is really sad.

Yeah I saw this on drudge report (from breitbart not American Papist) and had a big "What the heck" at it. But as long as they're outside Spanish territorial waters it's despicably legal...

On the note of international law; supposedly a large number of pro-abortion groups will be petitioning the United Nations on the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to petition that [b]abortion be made a universal human right[/b].

If they are performing abortions on the high seas there are all sorts of things that wealthy prolifers can do to stop this.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1679398' date='Oct 16 2008, 06:17 PM']Captain: Lucifer.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:sadder: sad but true :weep:

There was a news article about it on Relevant Radio a few weeks ago on how the ship was hit by a hurricane and ran aground and had to be abandoned or towed back to port of origin. I forgot exactly what happened.

Ash Wednesday

I believe the same boat caused a firestorm and was protested quite heavily when it approached Polish waters a few years ago.

LouisvilleFan

Interesting how the same legal loophole that enables me to drive down the river and play roulette also enables women in procure offshore abortions. Makes you wonder, in a country like Chile, where nobody lives very far from the coast, if it even matters that abortion is illegal.

This may be a little too weird for this but I remember watching "The Pebble and the Penguin" in my childhood and during it there was one song about "The Good Ship [i]Misery[/i][b][/b]." Unfortunately, I see this as applying to the situation.