An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Old People Ready For The Digital Conversion Of Tv?

Fidei Defensor

Excelsior1027
:lol:

I still think this is what's going to happen come February. Thousands of senior citizens are going to call their TV channels and ask why they're not broadcasting anymore.

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1679960' date='Oct 17 2008, 06:10 PM']:lol:

I still think this is what's going to happen come February. Thousands of senior citizens are going to call their TV channels and ask why they're not broadcasting anymore.[/quote]

"Now you listen young man, I want my Price is Right and 700 Club and I want them now!"

Admit it, it'll happen. :mellow:

homeschoolmom

They won't call their tv stations...

They will call their very busy daughters who live an hour away and are not going to run up there on a weekday to look at things... Okay MOM, I have other things to do.

Actually, Feb. 18 is marked on my calendar as "go fix the tvs at Mom's day." <sigh>
Why do they have to do this on a weekday???

This is great. And srsly, most of it made sense to me :P unfortunately, it won't make sense to the old people... oh well. I'm sure someone at some point had to show them how to set it up the old way...

cmotherofpirl

ageists!!!!
It has nothing to do with age, its the fact that senior citizens or those on disability cannot AFFORD to go buy new tvs or most of the cable packages when they are living on social security. :annoyed:

Whenever I want to refer to people who've seen a little bit more than me, I say "older" as opposed to "old." As in: Are older people ready for the tv switch thing?

"older man" sounds so much more respectful than "old man." It's amazing what the little "er" does for a word.

I don't know what I'm going to do once the switch happens. It annoys me, frankly. But maybe it will help me give up tv and spend my new free time with an older person. That would be something good, huh?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1680071' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:24 PM']ageists!!!!
It has nothing to do with age, its the fact that senior citizens or those on disability cannot AFFORD to go buy new tvs or most of the cable packages when they are living on social security. :annoyed:[/quote]

aw.... Frankly, we would have rabbit ears on our tv if we lived close enough to get any reception. My mom is the only person I know who still gets tv over the airwaves (She even gets EWTN for free!) ... and let me tell you, she's been in a panic about this since word first came out last spring. She is NOT happy about it.

cmotherofpirl

I am not happy about it. I got the digital tuner and it spends most of its time breaking up the pic into little moving squares that make the people look like they are in a horror movie, but I turn the tuner off I get perfectly lovely analog pics. :annoyed:

homeschoolmom

Oh swell. I imagine that once the digital signals are a go, that won't be an issue? I hope. Because if my mom can't have the tv on 24/7, I'M going to be the one to hear about it.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1680071' date='Oct 17 2008, 05:24 PM']ageists!!!!
It has nothing to do with age, its the fact that senior citizens or those on disability cannot AFFORD to go buy new tvs or most of the cable packages when they are living on social security. :annoyed:[/quote]
They can get a coupon for one.
[url="https://www.dtv2009.gov/"]https://www.dtv2009.gov/[/url]

and here's a coupon for some centrum silver
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/20-1-00-1-Centrum-Silver-coupons-10-31-08_W0QQitemZ180284322916QQihZ008QQcategoryZ57735QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/20-1-00-1-Centrum-Silv...5QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

:P

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1679975' date='Oct 17 2008, 05:25 PM']They won't call their tv stations...

They will call their very busy daughters who live an hour away and are not going to run up there on a weekday to look at things... Okay MOM, I have other things to do.

Actually, Feb. 18 is marked on my calendar as "go fix the tvs at Mom's day." <sigh>
Why do they have to do this on a weekday???[/quote]
:lol_roll:

We still use rabbit ears. Cable money is going on the mortgage. The change is happening later in Canada, but we're not going to get the financial help the US is giving.