An Old School Catholic Message Board

" Obama Is My Jesus"

Saint Therese

dominicansoul

[quote name='jkaands' post='1693005' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:25 PM']Your right-wing vicious name-calling doesn't seem very Catholic, or Christian, to me, by the way.[/quote]

Neither does killing babies born alive during an abortion....something which Obama supports...

...and Obama calls himself a Christian....

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1692559' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:15 PM'][img]http://www.thomasnogales.com/Images/2007-9-national_debt.jpg[/img]
you cannot compare the so-called "budget surplus" of Clinton to the national debt of trillions... Clinton had a national debt of trillions as well. he had yearly budget surpluses, not a net gross surplus, and the actual national debt never went down (not that it wasn't better to have it more steadily flat at that time; a result of peacetime, .com bubbles, and balanced budget policies)... he didn't turn a surplus into trillions in debt, he simply resumed the huge growth of the debt that had been slowed during the Clinton era. he had surpluses in the yearly budgets (some of which are accounted for by moving government paydays from late in one year to early in another, ie they cooked the books... but again, their spending policies for government were not nearly as irresponsible as they have been under Bush... that level of irresponsibility is unprecedented and it's a result of the idea of "compassionate conservativism" ie, rather than cutting taxes AND spending, they cut taxes and increased spending)

"more taxes and fewer programs" #1 is not Obama's plan, Obama's plan is more taxes and more programs... and moreover #2, it is not the way to get us out of the crisis. Herbert Hoover's raising of taxes was a terrible idea to avoid a depression; and most of FDR's policies most historians now agree actually prolonged the great depression.

not that I have any delusions that McCain has any idea how to get us out of this crisis. we need someone to cut programs and divert any tax money going to those programs to paying off the debt... the crisis in the markets simply cannot be fixed by the government, it is going to have to crash; the best the government can do is try to force more transparancy through laws and prosecute criminal business activity[/quote]
:teach:

hmm, we appear to no longer have the 'word' smiley. For shame

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1692559' date='Nov 3 2008, 05:15 PM'][img]http://www.thomasnogales.com/Images/2007-9-national_debt.jpg[/img]
you cannot compare the so-called "budget surplus" of Clinton to the national debt of trillions... Clinton had a national debt of trillions as well. he had yearly budget surpluses, not a net gross surplus, and the actual national debt never went down (not that it wasn't better to have it more steadily flat at that time; a result of peacetime, .com bubbles, and balanced budget policies)... he didn't turn a surplus into trillions in debt, he simply resumed the huge growth of the debt that had been slowed during the Clinton era. he had surpluses in the yearly budgets (some of which are accounted for by moving government paydays from late in one year to early in another, ie they cooked the books... but again, their spending policies for government were not nearly as irresponsible as they have been under Bush... that level of irresponsibility is unprecedented and it's a result of the idea of "compassionate conservativism" ie, rather than cutting taxes AND spending, they cut taxes and increased spending)

"more taxes and fewer programs" #1 is not Obama's plan, Obama's plan is more taxes and more programs... and moreover #2, it is not the way to get us out of the crisis. Herbert Hoover's raising of taxes was a terrible idea to avoid a depression; and most of FDR's policies most historians now agree actually prolonged the great depression.

not that I have any delusions that McCain has any idea how to get us out of this crisis. we need someone to cut programs and divert any tax money going to those programs to paying off the debt... the crisis in the markets simply cannot be fixed by the government, it is going to have to crash; the best the government can do is try to force more transparency through laws and prosecute criminal business activity[/quote]

You're right about the national debt v. the budget surplus, not to be confused.

But here is this from CNN in[b] May, 2000.[/b] emphasis mine.

[u][b]<<Clinton announces record payment on national debt[/b][/u]

By John King/CNN

May 1, 2000

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bill Clinton said Monday that the [b]United States would pay off $216 billion in debt this year[/b], bringing to $355 billion the amount of the nation's [b]debt paid down in the three years since the government balanced the budget and began running surpluses.[/b]

In a written statement, Clinton said the $216 billion payment represented the [b]largest debt paydown in American history, and he said that the federal government's long-term debt is now $2.4 trillion lower than projected to be when he first took office.[/b]

However, the U.S. government still has a long way to go before it pays down the entire national debt, which now stands at $5.7 trillion.

"We should take advantage of this historic opportunity to use the benefits of debt reduction to extend the life of Social Security and Medicare and[b] pay off the entire national debt by 2013 f[/b]or the first time since Andrew Jackson was president," Clinton said.

Clinton has asked Congress to dedicate the interest savings from paying down the national debt to the Social Security Trust Fund, which will add 54 years to its life, according to White House estimates.

Clinton also used the announcement to take issue with Republican tax cut plans,[b] noting that "the debt quadrupled in the twelve years before I came into office," a reference to his Republican predecessors, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.[/b]

"We should not jeopardize the longest economic expansion in history with risky tax cuts that threaten our fiscal discipline," said Clinton, who credited his administration's 1993 and 1997 budgets as well "tough choices in each and every year" for the debt turnaround.

"As a result, interest rates are lower, leading to stronger investment and growth while saving money for American families," he said.>>

Bush inflated the budget and the national debt with the Iraq war, combining this gross expenditure with huge tax cuts which favored the highest tax brackets. This fiscal irresponsibility turned many conservative Republicans against him.

the current national debt stands at over 10.5 trillion dollars.

The financial nabobs who publish in the Wall Street Journal say that we are going to have to [i]spend a lot more[/i], ie. go deeper into debt, to re-start the economy, that cutting services and raising taxes aren't going to do it. Maybe like bailing out Detroit, for example, for a starter. This is not the knee-jerk reaction of those, like me, not experts in these matters, but that's what I read in the WSJ.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jkaands' post='1692420' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:44 PM']What a bunch of whackos.

Obama is one of the best politicians of his generation...[/quote]

Are you serious? How?

[quote]He has been underrated by everyone who has opposed him, notably the Clintons. He has run a huge organization of 500 paid workers in Chicago, innumerable thousands of volunteers, has raised, managed and spent hundreds of millions of dollars--and he's going to win--big time.[/quote]

Okay this does not give reason at all to call Obama the best politician of his generation. Because someone can raise money does not mean that they are good. It means they are probably good at convincing people they are good. Again, you give no real reason why he should be best politician of his generation. So if I run an organization of 500 people, I am qualified to be president?

[quote]Why anyone would want to be president after the Bush administration's 8 years of trashing the country, our reputation, the Constitution, turning a budget [i]surplus[/i] into trillions--yes--of debt, a disastrous war and even more disastrous financial crisis, the worst since the Great Depression[/quote]

Another Bush basher eh? Well I am not going to say Bush was amazing, but you need to put Congress in the blame for a lot too. You seem to act as if Bush had all control for the last 8 years where in reality Congress really shares a very decent amount of power. The Democrats have done a good job in laying all blame on Bush and little on Congress.

[quote]--but Obama wants it and with a strong Democratic congress, he may be able to turn things around. But be prepared for more taxes and fewer programs--it's the only way to pull is out of this mess.[/quote]

So basically his economic policy will hinder our economy. You say "fewer programs" but if you listen to Obama, he wants to add Big Government Health Care, probably pay people to be poor, he wants to invest billions in a fairy tale energy pill that will solve our energy issue. Obama is not going to get us fewer programs. We will have more programs. Not good ones mind you.

[quote]Obama, like Lincoln, has great confidence in his abilities, and there is nothing in his record or this campaign to contradict this. He is truly a phenomenon, or a 'phenom' as they say in sports, a Michael Phelps, Nadia, a Tiger Woods.[/quote]

Lincoln stood his ground in a war that was pretty much a failure for the first four years... reminds me of Bush in Iraq. Let's see Phelps has worked and trained hard and won like 8 gold medals in one olympics, Tiger Woods has won how many golf tournaments?

And Obama...what has he done? Oh yeah, he is the best politician in his generation because he raised so much money. Who cares his pastor of 20 years is a bitter racists man who said God should "*^#& America." Who cares about his relationship with the terrorists Ayes or whatever his name his. Who cares he has not really done anything in the senate that showed real leadership. Look at his record, you see a bunch of "present" and follow the easy votes that won't taint my record.

Obama has less experience than the Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Obama is no phenom. He is a person with no experience (community service does not count, come on, if McCain used this all the Democrats would be all over him).

I will say that Obama is a good speaker. But that is really the only good thing one can say about him in relating to running for the presidency.

I am going to warn you now. Obama will be another Jimmy Carter.

foolishmortal

[url="http://pmcms.rmcpac.com/video-page/obama-citizenship/"]http://pmcms.rmcpac.com/video-page/obama-citizenship/[/url]
Here, a Democrat questions Obama's eligibility to be a president. Also, there are videos that show Obama's ties to domestic terrorists he has not distanced himself from, as he did from his pastor. Interesting.

These videos show, in their words, the DNC covered up Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac scam and made banks give out "risky" loans due to affirmative action desires. You think anything will be different? They blew their Acorn smoke up our you-know-what..

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs[/url]
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmL-lXNy64"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmL-lXNy64[/url]

These and mire are by a black conservative but not some ivy-league sounding and acting kind of guy, which should give less credibility to liberals who'll open their minds and undecideds who are interested.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2amXLa-iZGw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2amXLa-iZGw[/url]
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=93cFOjDG-Ks"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=93cFOjDG-Ks[/url]

Now see if Obama is some kind of President Lincoln or more like a "(Comrade) Uncle Tom".

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1693119' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:42 PM']Are you serious? How?

Okay this does not give reason at all to call Obama the best politician of his generation. Because someone can raise money does not mean that they are good. It means they are probably good at convincing people they are good. Again, you give no real reason why he should be best politician of his generation. So if I run an organization of 500 people, I am qualified to be president?

Another Bush basher eh? Well I am not going to say Bush was amazing, but you need to put Congress in the blame for a lot too. You seem to act as if Bush had all control for the last 8 years where in reality Congress really shares a very decent amount of power. The Democrats have done a good job in laying all blame on Bush and little on Congress.

So basically his economic policy will hinder our economy. You say "fewer programs" but if you listen to Obama, he wants to add Big Government Health Care, probably pay people to be poor, he wants to invest billions in a fairy tale energy pill that will solve our energy issue. Obama is not going to get us fewer programs. We will have more programs. Not good ones mind you.

Lincoln stood his ground in a war that was pretty much a failure for the first four years... reminds me of Bush in Iraq. Let's see Phelps has worked and trained hard and won like 8 gold medals in one olympics, Tiger Woods has won how many golf tournaments?

And Obama...what has he done? Oh yeah, he is the best politician in his generation because he raised so much money. Who cares his pastor of 20 years is a bitter racists man who said God should "*^#& America." Who cares about his relationship with the terrorists Ayes or whatever his name his. Who cares he has not really done anything in the senate that showed real leadership. Look at his record, you see a bunch of "present" and follow the easy votes that won't taint my record.

Obama has less experience than the Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Obama is no phenom. He is a person with no experience (community service does not count, come on, if McCain used this all the Democrats would be all over him).

I will say that Obama is a good speaker. But that is really the only good thing one can say about him in relating to running for the presidency.

I am going to warn you now. Obama will be another Jimmy Carter.[/quote]

Democrats running the entire country...

welcome to the end of the world as we know it. I've never been so worried in my life.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1693119' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:42 PM']I am going to warn you now. Obama will be another Jimmy Carter.[/quote]

No, he won't. He has already started by his selections for his chief of staff and his transition team, some rather hard-boiled and experienced folks from the Clinton, not Carter, administrations.

the time [i]has[/i] come for universal health care, which can be modeled on a number of democracies which use private sources such as West Germany and Japan. We are the only western democracy which has no provision for health care for its citizens, 47 million of them.

Obama ran one of the most brilliant campaigns in memory. Obama is brilliant, focused and endowed with wisdom, purpose and determination. His campaign had a single message, no infighting, organized down to the neighborhood, which raised huge amounts of money, half of it from people giving under 200 dollars each, won support in entrenched red states, cities and counties, endorsements from prominent Republicans, which would not let itself be embroiled in petty allegations about Obama or inferences about Palin, which never rose to the Republican bait. His campaign will go down in memory as a model of how to run a campaign. Count on it.

You are arguing from the Far Right.

dominicansoul

[quote name='jkaands' post='1696006' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:40 PM']No, he won't. He has already started by his selections for his chief of staff and his transition team, some rather hard-boiled and experienced folks from the Clinton, not Carter, administrations.

the time [i]has[/i] come for universal health care, which can be modeled on a number of democracies which use private sources such as West Germany and Japan. We are the only western democracy which has no provision for health care for its citizens, 47 million of them.

Obama ran one of the most brilliant campaigns in memory. Obama is brilliant, focused and endowed with wisdom, purpose and determination. His campaign had a single message, no infighting, organized down to the neighborhood, which raised huge amounts of money, half of it from people giving under 200 dollars each, won support in entrenched red states, cities and counties, endorsements from prominent Republicans, which would not let itself be embroiled in petty allegations about Obama or inferences about Palin, which never rose to the Republican bait. His campaign will go down in memory as a model of how to run a campaign. Count on it.

You are arguing from the Far Right.[/quote]

If Obama had an orchestra,

You'd be the whole brass section....

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1696023' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:54 PM']If Obama had an orchestra,

You'd be the whole brass section....[/quote]

My, my, what cynicism!

I am simply re-stating what everyone else has said. Nothing new in my opinions! The Republicans give grudging praise to Obama and his campaign. The papers have been full of the problems with the McCain campaign for some time. Palin did not help the campaign, she hurt it. McCain shoulders the blame for this.

Obama's election is regarded as a major event in our history. People lined up to try to buy newspapers the next day to save for their grandchildren. [i]Your [/i]grandchildren will wonder what you did on that day, November 4, 1008.

If people can't see this, they are remarkably short-sighted.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1693453' date='Nov 4 2008, 09:22 PM']Democrats running the entire country...

welcome to the end of the world as we know it. I've never been so worried in my life.[/quote]

I thought that you were emigrating!

Let me show you out.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='jkaands' post='1692420' date='Nov 3 2008, 04:44 PM']Obama is one of the best politicians of his generation.......Obama, like Lincoln, has great confidence in his abilities, and there is nothing in his record or this campaign to contradict this. He is truly a phenomenon, or a 'phenom' as they say in sports, a Michael Phelps, Nadia, a Tiger Woods.[/quote]

[img]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/soyhollywood/hey_kool_aid4.jpg[/img]

[quote name='jkaands' post='1696006' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:40 PM']Obama is brilliant, focused and endowed with wisdom, purpose and determination.[/quote]

Obama is an antichrist

Edited by Guest

Ash Wednesday

Hay guys! The Dow has been plummeting for two days! Wow, that's some optimism investors are showing right now about our new President.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1696253' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:10 PM']Hay guys! The Dow has been plummeting for two days! Wow, that's some optimism investors are showing right now about our new President.[/quote]
I'd be selling my stock, too, if the government were about to go USSR on my business...

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1696253' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:10 PM']Hay guys! The Dow has been plummeting for two days! Wow, that's some optimism investors are showing right now about our new President.[/quote]
It's more likely to do with the latest job report to be released tomorrow, and it looks grim.