An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colin Powell Endorses Obama!

Hassan

Good.

It looks like a major factor in him comeing out was the Minnasota congreswoman, McCain robo calls, and the slur on Muslims and arabs which damages us overseas.

However he made his actual decision around the convention time.

That can't have made the Republicans happy, especially the ones who had hoped Powell was going to be the first black president.

Full Story

[url="http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/powell-endorses-obama/?hp"]http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10...orses-obama/?hp[/url]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1681137' date='Oct 19 2008, 08:59 AM']That can't have made the Republicans happy, especially the ones who had hoped Powell was going to be the first black president.[/quote]
Powell would have been no better than McCain, because like McCain he is wish-washy on abortion.

As scripture says:

Put no trust in princes,
In mortal men in whom there is no help.
Take their breath, they return to clay
and their plans that day come to nothing.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1681283' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:15 PM']As scripture says:

Put no trust in princes,
In mortal men in whom there is no help.
Take their breath, they return to clay
and their plans that day come to nothing.[/quote]

Exactly right! We shouldn't put our trust in Presidents, but in Jesus.

dominicansoul

Powell endorses Obama...

...who cares?

I'm sure people will get all worked up over this, but it doesn't matter what man endorses Obama, [b]God does not endorse the pro-death platform...[/b]

Ash Wednesday

Powell has always been much more liberal to moderate than others in the GOP. He has been pro-choice for as long as I can remember -- (I recall him speaking in favor of "choice" at the RNC in 92 and being booed) He does not support the idea of conservative supreme court nominees so I'm actually not surprised.

Okay, well I could almost be puzzled and surprised about one thing -- the fact that he gave a lot of money to McCain's campaign last year. But then again, at that time I imagine Powell would have supported someone like McCain over Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1681339' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:08 PM']Powell has always been much more liberal to moderate than others in the GOP. He has been pro-choice for as long as I can remember -- (I recall him speaking in favor of "choice" at the RNC in 92 and being booed) He does not support the idea of conservative supreme court nominees so I'm actually not surprised.

Okay, well I could almost be puzzled and surprised about one thing -- the fact that he gave a lot of money to McCain's campaign last year. But then again, at that time I imagine Powell would have supported someone like McCain over Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee.[/quote]

He had not made up his mind at that point I think

[quote name='Hassan' post='1681353' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:21 PM']He had not made up his mind at that point I think[/quote]
It is odd to donate money when you haven't made up your mind. I certainly wouldn't do that, but then I am not wealthy.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1681378' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:13 PM']It is odd to donate money when you haven't made up your mind. I certainly wouldn't do that, but then I am not wealthy.[/quote]

I think that would be when it was not clear Obama would be the DNC nominee.

In which case it would make sense to support the centrist cannidate who was his friend I believe.

HereticHunter10

No suprise. If he hadn't endorsed JMac by the time of the Republican Convention, then it was obvious he wasn't ever going to endorse JMac.

The only person's vote Powell's endorsment affects is his own.

I used to think Colin Powell would be the first black president, too. But, I didn't know he was pro-choice. That would have come to light before the election, so unless he was the lesser of two evils, I never would have supported him. Now I just think of him as "Colin Powell the Traitor."
I used to think highly of Condollezza Rice, too, until I learned that she is pro-homosexual.
The best line I have heard from anyone in politics lately comes from... Sarah Palin. On a radio talk show (Laura was the host's name) she said, "Geez... doesn't anybody have a conscience anymore?"
Finally, a politician we can trust, that is a role model, that has a conscience, and that prays! I saw the video clip of her pastor praying over her before she even ran for governor. You can see her lips moving in prayer. It was very moving.
Sarah Palin reminds me of Joan of Arc. In spite of all the flimsy arguments of how experienced or inexperienced she is, I don't care. If God can work through a simple girl like Joan of Arc and save a country, He can certainly work through Sarah Palin and save ours!
McCain, despite his many moral flaws, has consistently voted pro-life, and picked a heck of a running mate!