An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Really Scared

Saint Therese

HisChildForever

Dominican is absolutely correct.

In fact, if a professed and practicing Christian ever told me that they supported abortion, my first thought would be that they are grossly misinformed about abortion.

Fidei Defensor

In case you are interested, here is a listing of denominations as well as religious groups that are either pro-choice or have not spoken out for the pro-life cause:

American Baptist Churches-USA,
American Ethical Union,
American Friends (Quaker) Service Committee,
American Jewish Committee,
American Jewish Congress,
Central Conference of American Rabbis,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),
Council of Jewish Federations,
Episcopal Church (USA),
Federation of Reconstructionist Congregations and Havurot,
Moravian Church in America-Northern Province,
Na'Amat USA,
National Council of Jewish Women,
Presbyterian Church (USA),
Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice,
Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,
Union of American Hebrew Congregations,
Unitarian Universalist Association,
United Church of Christ,
United Methodist Church,
United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism.

[url="http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_hist1.htm"]http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_hist1.htm[/url]

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1683866' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:12 PM']In case you are interested, here is a listing of denominations as well as religious groups that are either pro-choice or have not spoken out for the pro-life cause:

American Baptist Churches-USA,
American Ethical Union,
American Friends (Quaker) Service Committee,
American Jewish Committee,
American Jewish Congress,
Central Conference of American Rabbis,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),
Council of Jewish Federations,
Episcopal Church (USA),
Federation of Reconstructionist Congregations and Havurot,
Moravian Church in America-Northern Province,
Na'Amat USA,
National Council of Jewish Women,
Presbyterian Church (USA),
Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice,
Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,
Union of American Hebrew Congregations,
Unitarian Universalist Association,
United Church of Christ,
United Methodist Church,
United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism.

[url="http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_hist1.htm"]http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_hist1.htm[/url][/quote]

glad i dont go there

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1683862' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:07 PM']Dominican is absolutely correct.

In fact, if a professed and practicing Christian ever told me that they supported abortion, my first thought would be that they are grossly misinformed about abortion.[/quote]
I have found that to be the case for many others (including non-practicing Christians) as well.

I once had a conversation about abortion with an older doctor who truly believed that a fetus is not a child. In that case, I used the psychological and sociological effects of abortion to highlight how it is intrinsically evil. He seemed to understand me, but I can only pray that my words planted a seed.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1683481' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:26 PM']NO CHRISTIAN WOULD SUPPORT ABORTION.[/quote]

but some do, and it is hypocrisy. But shouldn't we still believe they were sincere when they took upon themselves the Faith of our fathers? God will sort out whether or not they lived according to the Christian Faith, just like he will all of us.

I think the most I could ever say about them is that abortion runs contrary to Christianity. Either they are misinformed or they knowingly accept an idea that runs contrary to the Christian Faith.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1683881' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:38 PM']but some do, and it is hypocrisy. But shouldn't we still believe they were sincere when they took upon themselves the Faith of our fathers? God will sort out whether or not they lived according to the Christian Faith, just like he will all of us.

I think the most I could ever say about them is that abortion runs contrary to Christianity. Either they are misinformed or they knowingly accept an idea that runs contrary to the Christian Faith.[/quote]

somebody with some reason around here.
dont leave bro.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1681962' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:25 PM']I love you Hassan. :love:

thanx for calming my fears...

(but honestly, a man who is for abortion without any limitations is NOT a Christian...)

but you are right, the rest of the country is heavily populated with enough Christians to end my fear of possible martyrdom under Obama's reign...[/quote]

Look at the Bible belt. :) Look at some areas of the North that are filled with orthodox Catholics. It ain't over til it's over, I say. God will take care of us, one way or the other.

Saint Therese

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1683466' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:03 PM']On what basis can you make that claim? He's a self-proclaimed Christian, he was married in a Christian ceremony, his daughters were baptized. You may not like his policy positions but unless you've got some kind of "Being John Malkovich" access to Obama's inner thoughts, memories and feelings, you have to take him at face value.

On a related note, is John McCain "Christian?"[/quote]

I make that statement based on reports of him being a very devout religious muslim, and also based on his intense rabid pro abortion, pro death (not simply pro choice) policies.

Saint Therese

Reading the replies on this forum makes it clear why there is so much confusion in our country about abortion.

Abortion is the DIRECT, DELIBERATE, INTENTIONAL killing of an innocent person.
O'bama is not just a poltician who supports "pro choice" policies, but he is pro-abortion, and there is a difference.
Can someone who supports abortion, which is the direct killing of an person, by voting for and enacting laws, be Christian?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684063' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:34 PM']I make that statement based on reports of him being a very devout religious muslim, and also based on his intense rabid pro abortion, pro death (not simply pro choice) policies.[/quote]
What "reports" say that he is a "devout Muslim?"

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684063' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:34 AM']I make that statement based on reports of him being a very devout religious muslim, and also based on his intense rabid pro abortion, pro death (not simply pro choice) policies.[/quote]

Right, because Islam is big on Abortion rights for women and gay rights.

You can't have it both ways. If he were a devout Muslim he would neither support abortion rights nor gay marriage.

Of course if he were a devout Muslim he also likely would own no stocks, never eat pork, smoke tobacco, or drink wine. That picture you saw of him comeing out of the water whie vacationign in Hawaii would also not exist as Islam has modesty regulations for men as well as women. A devout Muslim man would never expose himself from the knees the the navel as Obama did while swimming. Nor would a devout Muslim man have broken the Rhamadan fast a I am sure you could videos of Obama doing, like sipping water while speaking.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1684076' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:48 PM']What "reports" say that he is a "devout Muslim?"[/quote]

I heard in those reports he levitates to...

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1684079' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:51 PM']I heard in those reports he levitates to...[/quote]

I hear I'm something of a secretly devout Muslim as well.

We're everywhere :mellow:

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1684078' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:50 AM']Right, because Islam is big on Abortion rights for women and gay rights.

You can't have it both ways. If he were a devout Muslim he would neither support abortion rights nor gay marriage.

Of course if he were a devout Muslim he also likely would own no stocks, never eat pork, smoke tobacco, or drink wine. That picture you saw of him comeing out of the water whie vacationign in Hawaii would also not exist as Islam has modesty regulations for men as well as women. A devout Muslim man would never expose himself from the knees the the navel as Obama did while swimming. Nor would a devout Muslim man have broken the Rhamadan fast a I am sure you could videos of Obama doing, like sipping water while speaking.[/quote]
Well devout Christians are not for abortion or gay "marriage" either.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684063' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:34 PM']I make that statement based on reports of him being a very devout religious muslim, and also based on his intense rabid pro abortion, pro death (not simply pro choice) policies.[/quote]
He has said that he is not a Muslim.

He has said that he is a Christian.

There is a long record of him attending Christian churches.

His voting record is 100% pro-abortion.

I would conclude that either his Christian formation was very poor or that he has rejected portions of it. No Christian is perfect. I have yet to meet one that is not a hypocrite in some way.