An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro-obama Catholic

melporcristo

Life and health, which is a fairly wide exception, since a lot can be considered to fall under the "health" exception. What kind of health? physical? mental? psychological? It would be really simple to be labelled psychologically unhealthy. I know because I am clinically insane.

Edited by Didymus

KnightofChrist

[quote name='philothea' post='1682940' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:42 PM']Well, yes, I've heard that's what he's said. But, he can't unless both the House and the Senate pass it.

It was introduced three years ago, and has never been voted on.

I suppose maybe it has enough votes to pass but isn't veto-proof? I find that kind of unlikely considering the way the votes went for the PBA Ban. :idontknow: I can't find any statistics on what kind of legislative support it has.[/quote]

You should also remember the potential super democratic majority of congress.

[quote name='mcts' post='1682854' date='Oct 21 2008, 05:18 PM']my new priest is for obama :weep:
he even has a bumper sticker on his truck.[/quote]

yep ... I feel you homie. Our priest along with the "nuns" in the "monastery" in my town are pro-obama. although their vote won't do anything since its been a republican sate for centuries. unfortunately, their pro-choiceness will affect us if the pro-choice senators win in the area.

Saint Therese

[quote name='mcts' post='1683426' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:40 AM']I know, right!?! When asked about it, he won't even explain why he likes obama so much.[/quote]

Probably the pro gay thing.

[quote name='mcts' post='1683426' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:40 AM']I know, right!?! When asked about it, he won't even explain why he likes obama so much.[/quote]

I am sick at this whole thing. .....and yet does he like Obama?... or is he going to vote for him? I know many catholics like the thought of what Obama "says" fiscally yet being Catholic they KNOW that they will vote for McCain. Is this going to be true in the silence of the voting booth??? Only God will know that one. I just think Obama sounds like a slick talker. He just is morally corrupt. I do not want to ever be linked to any thing as evil as abortion. What really matters is in the booth,...for you and I. The Priest though needs to be careful of the influence within his church. I would never be insulting to him,but you do have the right to write him a letter stating your concern. That way you have not attacked him in front of any others, you have done so privately as to not cause scandal to him....(if His intentions are innocent.) You even have the right to tell him that as Catholics we are obligated to vote pro-life and there really is no other choice between canidates on this one. This issue is a foundational issue to life at its most innocent. Something as catholics we must protect. Then ask him to give George Soros back his dirty money, and that Catholics are not for sale!

Edited by jckinsman

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1684194' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:08 AM']I am sick at this whole thing. .....and yet does he like Obama?... or is he going to vote for him? I know many catholics like the thought of what Obama "says" fiscally yet being Catholic they KNOW that they will vote for McCain. Is this going to be true in the silence of the voting booth??? Only God will know that one. I just think Obama sounds like a slick talker. He just is morally corrupt. I do not want to ever be linked to any thing as evil as abortion. What really matters is in the booth,...for you and I. The Priest though needs to be careful of the influence within his church. I would never be insulting to him,but you do have the right to write him a letter stating your concern. That way you have not attacked him in front of any others, you have done so privately as to not cause scandal to him....(if His intentions are innocent.) You even have the right to tell him that as Catholics we are obligated to vote pro-life and there really is no other choice between canidates on this one. This issue is a foundational issue to life at its most innocent. Something as catholics we must protect. Then ask him to give George Soros back his dirty money, and that Catholics are not for sale![/quote]

A lady from my church already talked to him about it. She said that he refused to talk about it and now acts like he doesn't like her at all instead of being indifferent toward her (how he acts toward most non-mexicans at our churches.)

I MISS MY OLD PRIEST!!!! :priest: however, he had bad knees so the bishop mad him retire since he can barely walk anymore. At least he was nice and you could talk to him. and we knew that he was very pro-life. we have no idea what this priest stands for, basically, except that mexicans need to get equal (or in his case special) treatment. don't get me wrong. i'm not racist. I think that everyone should be treated equally. but EQUAL does not mean SPECIAL!!!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1681915' date='Oct 20 2008, 01:13 PM']Obama says he's opposed to late term abortions.[/quote]

Yeah he seemed to insinuate that in the debate, but that is not what he insinuated when speaking infront of Planned Parenthood earlier this year. He expressed his great horror at the idea of Bush's ban on PBA.

Basically, Obama is not opposed to PBA and he wants the ban overturned. :weep:

[quote name='philothea' post='1682930' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:26 PM']I am by no means pro-Obama, and I'm sure he would [i]like[/i] to do as you say, but... er, isn't this "ban" a law? Passed by the Congress? Upheld by the Supreme Court?

I've heard this Obama-will-overturn-it idea mentioned several times, here and elsewhere, but I am pretty sure presidents cannot overturn laws.

:unsure:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i found a timeline [url="http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/abortiontimeline.html#1992"]here from NRLC[/url]. i haven't found anything yet on the PBA ban, but i did find this:

[quote]Jan. 22: President Clinton reverses years of pro-life progress by issuing five executive orders reversing Title 10 regulations banning abortion referral by federal employees, repealing the Mexico City Policy restricting federal funding of international organizations that work to reverse countries' abortion laws, negating the ban on funding for fetal tissue transplants, ordering military hospitals to perform abortions, and asking the FDA to "review" the import ban on RU 486.[/quote]

p.s. jan 22 is the saturday after President Clinton took office. see what Obama could do right after taking office?

edit:
[u][b]1995[/b][/u]
Nov. 1: The U.S. House passes the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, the first federal bill since Roe v. Wade to ban one type of abortion, with a vote of 288-139.

Dec. 7: The U.S. Senate passes the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, 54-44.

[u][b]1996[/b][/u]
Apr. 10: President Clinton issues his first veto of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act.

[u][b]1997[/b][/u]
Mar. 20: The House passes the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act by a veto-proof margin of 295-136.

May 21: The U.S. Senate, in its second attempt, passes the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act 64-36, three votes short of the majority needed to override President Clinton's expected veto.

Oct. 10: President Clinton again vetoes the ban on partial-birth abortions.

edit again:
from wikipedia:
[quote]The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act (Pub.L. 108-105, 117 Stat. 1201, enacted November 5, 2003, 18 U.S.C. § 1531[1], "PBA Ban") is a United States law prohibiting a form of late-term abortion that the Act calls partial-birth abortion. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the term "partial-birth abortion" in the act pertains to a procedure that is medically called intact dilation and extraction.[2] Under this law, "Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both." The law was enacted in 2003, and in 2007 its constitutionality was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.[/quote]