An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Faithful Catholics Be Affiliated With Parties?

HereticHunter10

HereticHunter10

I bring up this issue, not because I'm an independent (FYI: I plan to vote for John McCain).

I bring up this issue because it is one I think faithful Catholics, who believe that ALL the Chruch's Social Teachings should be upheld and acted upon, sometimes struggle with. I know I see it with the Catholics I socialized with (and I go to Catholic HS).

When you look at the two major parties in the US and their platforms, neither party has social issues in its platform. Meaning the Democratic Party does not stand for abortion and gay rights, rather Democratic Politicians stand for abortion and gay rights. Same with the Republicans, the Republican party is not pro life and pro family but GOP politicians are.

So, each party is made up of ideals on how to govern. Democrats prefer the use of government to provide stability to the working class generally. Republicans believe that when the government stays out of the lives of its citizens, all benefit; lower, middle, and upper class citizens.

So based on Catholic ideology and the parties ideology, a solid case can be made for both.

Example: The Church believes that governments should make it so that healthcare should be afforded to all---similar to the idea of universal healthcare, a traditionally liberal or Democratic ideal.

Also: The Church believes in the participation of all in the community, society, business place, so that all can succeed with out limits by governments. This is similar to the GOP or conservative ideal that ALL benefit when governments stay out of business and let the people participate with themselves, by themselves.

I could go on with many issues but I think you guys get the point.

Social issues aside, if this is the case, that Catholic teachings have merits in both parties, how is it possible that faithful Catholics can say that this issue is more important than that issue? Aren't all of equal significance? How is healthcare not as important as immigration reform according to Church teaching?

Catholics can be seen as liberal sometimes and conservative other times if they believe and act on Church Social Teaching.

So why belong to a party that is only one of those (conservative of liberal)? Is it, maybe, in some way wrong to belong to a party that is just conservative on all issues if you are liberal on some, and vice versa?

Shouldn't Catholics promote having an NPA on their voter card for what it symbolizes?

If not, then why not start, maybe, a Catholic political party. (Ex: America's Catholic Party)

A party that actually includes social issues like cap punishment and abortion in its platform. A party that is liberal on immigration and healthcare but conservative on gay marriages and education. A party where all Faithful Catholics can be a part of and endorse fully.

Any comments? Questions?

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682216' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:28 PM']don't be anti-social :topsy:[/quote]

I prefer to stay home and read and pray ( although I do sometimes go and visit my friend).
I guess that's why I"m going to be nun.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1682221' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:34 PM']I prefer to stay home and read and pray ( although I do sometimes go and visit my friend).
I guess that's why I"m going to be nun.[/quote]
I don't like parties either. I don't drink and it's no fun being the only sober person in a room full of drunks :unsure:

which order are you going to be?

have you considered

[img]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/Pics/her%20franciscan%20friars.jpg[/img]

...just a suggustion :unsure:

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682228' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:38 PM']I don't like parties either. I don't drink and it's no fun being the only sober person in a room full of drunks :unsure:

which order are you going to be?

have you considered

[img]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/Pics/her%20franciscan%20friars.jpg[/img]

...just a suggustion :unsure:[/quote]
Cloistered Dominicans.. although the the Fransicans of the Renewal are awesomeness!

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1682229' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:40 PM']Cloistered Dominicans.. although the the Fransicans of the Renewal are awesomeness![/quote]

I knows.

I think I'm still on their mailing list :unsure:

I have several e-mail accounts which I always fail to check and I don't remember which one I gave them :wacko:

when are you joining the clostered dominicans?

I met some cloistered Passionists several times in Pennsylvania.

And I'm glad I had those chances because you don;t see a lot of cloistered nuns walking around these days :o

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682236' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:46 PM']I knows.

I think I'm still on their mailing list :unsure:

I have several e-mail accounts which I always fail to check and I don't remember which one I gave them :wacko:[/quote]
Whatever happened to you discerning with them?

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1682240' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:48 PM']Whatever happened to you discerning with them?[/quote]

what do you mean?

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682242' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:50 PM']what do you mean?[/quote]
Weren't you discerning with them?..... :unsure:

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1682246' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:52 PM']Weren't you discerning with them?..... :unsure:[/quote]

oh yeah, duh: p

Yes I was discerning them a bit ago.

I respect a group of grown men who arn't afraid to year socks with sandals :))

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682253' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:57 PM']oh yeah, duh: p

Yes I was discerning them a bit ago.

I respect a group of grown men who arn't afraid to year socks with sandals :))[/quote]
And dresses!!

Saint Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682258' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:59 PM']dresses can be preaty..... :unsure:

:D[/quote]
The FFRs are really awesome. i saw Fishers of men on EWTN the other day.
And I love their show Parable on EWTN.
I think Fr. Groeschel is awesome and I've met Fr. Glen Sudano who used to be Servant of the Community.