An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Going To Be This Halloween?

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

I need some COOL (and easy ideas)! I have none.

Why is it so hard to dress up for Halloween? :ohno:

ALSO, something that bothers me year after year....

How do ya'll feel about costumes imitating something Catholic, such as the Pope, priest or nun?

I am really not a fan of it unless it is respected (like for a Halloween fest at the Church) and used to promote some kind of holiness but the majority of time I feel its offensive. :sadder:

I think most of the time it should be off limits because the abuse and mockery alot of people use it as.

Does it bother anybody else or is it just me? And why it is always Hot Topic that abuses the Catholic image for costumes. <_<

All of the people I know (Christian and not) don't wear nun costumes and the likes. :idontknow: I just feel it's kinda akward when I see it on line. but then again I'm looking online in costume stores that sell their stuff for like plays and stuff.

Anywho, I think I'm going to be a scare crow. or a rag doll (which ever are in my size lol)

One year I went as St. Philomena. I dressed in an Athena costume that I found at a costume store and got a crown of white fake flowers to go around my head.

Another year I was St. Elizabeth of Hungary, dressing in a queen costume.

i got some ideas. i might go as disco stu, i ave some wild pants and stuff.
-gangster, 1920s style. if i can find a suit and all that

I certainly don't like the nun costumes that are done up sexy like. Those are creepy. I'd say hit the thrift store, and find some real old clothes, and go disco or hippy. Cheap and fun.

I have a set of scrubs, so will probably wear that again... and it's kind of funny as I'm going to a Halloween party on Saturday with people that work in the healthcare field.

@LF. I went as a monk once. I don't think anybody took it nasty. :unsure:
It was really cheap and easy. Dat's for sure.

I want to be a bear. I went to a costume place and tried on this giant bear mascot costume with 4 paw attachments, a pot belly and a train engineer hat and a bandana-scarf and they wanted $80 for it! I was NOT there with bells on. I said, "well...how much to rent it?" They said $80 and that to buy it would be about $800-$900! :crazy:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1683177' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:57 AM']I need some COOL (and easy ideas)! I have none.

Why is it so hard to dress up for Halloween? :ohno:

ALSO, something that bothers me year after year....

How do ya'll feel about costumes imitating something Catholic, such as the Pope, priest or nun?

I am really not a fan of it unless it is respected (like for a Halloween fest at the Church) and used to promote some kind of holiness but the majority of time I feel its offensive. :sadder:

I think most of the time it should be off limits because the abuse and mockery alot of people use it as.

Does it bother anybody else or is it just me? And why it is always Hot Topic that abuses the Catholic image for costumes. <_<[/quote]

We had an All Saints Party last year. My brother went as Pope John Paul II. I went as St. Margaret Mary.

I think it is fine to dress up as a priest, nun, or pope if they are a saint and you are dressing up as the saint. A lot of the costumes that they sell are made to mock the Catholic Chuch though. We had a nice seamstress make my St. Margaret Mary habit. I didn't think it was offensive. Everyone thought it was a wonderful idea to dress like saints. We had a St. Patrick, St. Francis, St. Clare, St. Lucy, St. Therese.... We of course did it for All Saints Day... Not "Halloween"

All Saints Festival with the school on Oct 31 and Fall Festival with religious education on Nov 9. I'm not sure if we will give out candy. I like to discourage trick or treating in this day.

TotusTuusMaria

My favorite All Saints Day picture

The kids of the blogger over at Roman Catholic Vocations:

[url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8623/ilt2rt4.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote]This is a picture of three of our kids from a couple of years ago. The occasion? All Holy's Eve and All Saints. Isaac is dressed as his namesake, St. Isaac Jogues (he had a plastic hatchet, but that wasn't the best idea). Liliane is Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha (Lily of the Mohawks) and Therese is obviously St. Therese of Lisieux. It was amazing how memorable dressing up like their saints was to them - and how often they did it. On a side note, let me say that Therese was the show stopper trick or treating that year. Let's face it, almost every kid is dressed as a super hero or a princess, but not many come in a full habit as a Carmelite. I can't tell you the number of excited reactions when she showed up at the door. At one house the woman answering the door, obviously from up North, called several other women to the door and several of them were (no lie) crying. They immediately began to recall sisters they new from childhood.[/quote]

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1683437' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:54 AM']My favorite All Saints Day picture

The kids of the blogger over at Roman Catholic Vocations:

[url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8623/ilt2rt4.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]

That is sooo cute! :love: :love: :love:

Somebody really needs to start a catholic costume shop.

Edited by tinytherese

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1683452' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:25 PM']That is sooo cute! :love: :love: :love:

Somebody really needs to start a catholic costume shop.[/quote]

Catholic Home and Garden has a Catholic costume shop.

[url="http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Catholic_Children's_Costumes.htm"]Catholic Costume Shop[/url]

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1683493' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:50 PM']Catholic Home and Garden has a Catholic costume shop.

[url="http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Catholic_Children's_Costumes.htm"]Catholic Costume Shop[/url][/quote]

Wow! :lol_roll:

Here's the costume my 6'5" 300lb. husband wants.

[url="http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3639"]Penguin[/url]