An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Going To Be This Halloween?

littleflower+JMJ

At my college the second years from each suite (or at least the ones participating) are supposed to come up with a theme for what to do for our section of the basement in our haunted house to scare the freshmen. (They're not even supposed to know what this tradition involves until it happeneds.) Any ideas phamily?

Edited by tinytherese

I knew a guy who went as a condom. All he did was have this huge sheet of plastic draped over his entire body -- from the top of his head down to his feet. There was also some kind of writing on it ... I don't remember what ... Trojan, maybe?

Saint Therese
:huh: [quote name='Dave' post='1685472' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:43 PM']I knew a guy who went as a condom. All he did was have this huge sheet of plastic draped over his entire body -- from the top of his head down to his feet. There was also some kind of writing on it ... I don't remember what ... Trojan, maybe?[/quote]

I'm not going to be anything for Halloween--I'm leaving for a silent retreat that starts that night.

But I WAS going to be Mrs. Frizzle (from the Magic School Bus shows/books). I have a plain dress that I was going to tape pictures on (to go with whatever theme I decided), and then get a red wig.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1685515' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:25 PM']I thought of dressing as a nun, but kindof figured that might be a problem, since i want to BE one.[/quote]

I am going as a sister at our rescues party. "Sister Horse Fly" LOL

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1685468' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:41 PM']A disgruntled employee.[/quote]

I'm going as a gruntled one. I know it's a stretch, but Halloween's about fantasy, right?

I have dressed up as Mr. Spock in the past (blue shirt, black pants, ears..).

However, there are two ideas I am seriously considering:

1) Dressing up as a monk and telling everyone I meet, "I apologize". When someone asks me why, I will say, "I'm Martin Luther, and I apologize for the mess I've made". (October 31 is also Reformation Day, on which many protestants remember Luther's posting of the 95 theses on the church door (I post the "95 apologies of Martin Luther" on my front door)).

2) Getting a Barack Obama mask and when I see someone dressed up as the devil, run up to him and yell "Daddy!".

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1685967' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:49 AM']I have dressed up as Mr. Spock in the past (blue shirt, black pants, ears..).[/quote]

Dork...

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1685991' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:29 PM']Dork...[/quote]

And you have a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder.....

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1685967' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:49 PM']1) Dressing up as a monk and telling everyone I meet, "I apologize". When someone asks me why, I will say, "I'm Martin Luther, and I apologize for the mess I've made". (October 31 is also Reformation Day, on which many protestants remember Luther's posting of the 95 theses on the church door (I post the "95 apologies of Martin Luther" on my front door)).[/quote]

:))

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1685967' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:49 PM']2) Getting a Barack Obama mask and when I see someone dressed up as the devil, run up to him and yell "Daddy!".[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1683177' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:57 AM']I need some COOL (and easy ideas)! I have none.

Why is it so hard to dress up for Halloween? :ohno:

ALSO, something that bothers me year after year....

How do ya'll feel about costumes imitating something Catholic, such as the Pope, priest or nun?

I am really not a fan of it unless it is respected (like for a Halloween fest at the Church) and used to promote some kind of holiness but the majority of time I feel its offensive. :sadder:

I think most of the time it should be off limits because the abuse and mockery alot of people use it as.

Does it bother anybody else or is it just me? And why it is always Hot Topic that abuses the Catholic image for costumes. <_<[/quote]

I agree with you about the imitating if it is something like a kid dressing up like a priest and kissing a bunch of girls, or what Madonna and Guy Ritchie did by dressing up as the Pope and a nun. That was rather disrespectful. But if you are going to an All Saints party, then it's done in a respectful tone. I was planning on going to one this year (but my car is not working and won't be for a while until I get a new job), and I was planning to dress up like St. Therese. I love her; she's my patron saint, so I would only do it in a spirit of good charity.

I think that since my plans have been thwarted, I will just stay home with my mom and dad and hand out candy again this year (which I don't really like to do).