An Old School Catholic Message Board

Donating Hair

Christie_M

So over the summer my sisters, my mom and I had about 10 inches of hair cut and donated to Lock of Love.

It's slowly but surly growing back ^_^

Has anyone else done this?

rizz_loves_jesus

Yes, I've donated hair. The person who got my hair better be appreciative because I had really bad hair for like a year after that. lol

missionseeker

I've done it three or four times. ... My hair grows fast? I've done it twice in the last three years.

I have a theory that I have plenty of hair and... I *really* like my hair (it is curly so I never have to do ANYTHING to it, I don't even brush it, though I do use mousse.) But... again, I have plenty of hair and those kids don't so why not spread the joy?

:lol:

TotusTuusMaria

I have thought about doing it, but I read that they don't really use the hair and that a lot of it gets thrown away because it is damaged. It also takes about 10-12 people's hair to make one wig; and that is if the hair from the one person is all good (no split-ins, no products having been used on it in the past, etc).

My hair is so important to me, and I thought this would be a great way to really make a sacrifice and help someone. I decided that I would let it grow out and then sell it. If you have really good hair you can get around $150-200 for 10 in. of hair. Then I thought I would donate that to a good charity. I am having a tough time growing it out though and keeping it in good condition. Any suggestions? I get split-ins and if I don't use some sort of product I look like I have been shocked. My mom says I have "St. Rita hair," from like the movie "St. Rita" after St. Rita loses her husband and sons and starts living in a cave for months and going insane. Her hair kind of looks like mine at that point in the film.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

TTM Do you use conditioner? not like the shampoo and conditioner in one thing.

My hair was also pretty bad. and acctually if I didn't donate it at that length(it wasn't bad then) then I would still have to have had that much cut off.
I used to put my hair in braides and buns after the shower so my hair was moist through the day. then I would comb it again right before bed. (with a wide tooth comb since my hair was still moist)

But don't put it up really wet or it'll smell like mildew :mellow:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1683675' date='Oct 22 2008, 06:50 PM']TTM Do you use conditioner? not like the shampoo and conditioner in one thing.

My hair was also pretty bad. and acctually if I didn't donate it at that length(it wasn't bad then) then I would still have to have had that much cut off.
I used to put my hair in braides and buns after the shower so my hair was moist through the day. then I would comb it again right before bed. (with a wide tooth comb since my hair was still moist)

But don't put it up really wet or it'll smell like mildew :mellow:[/quote]

Yeah, i don't use conditioner .... I try to avoid it. It makes my hair really really... greasy. I hate it, but then if I don't use it it is like a little puff.

Maybe I will just have to find a better brand or something.

I blow dry my hair a lot too because it is quicker then letting it air-dry. That is probably a big issue. When I don't though it really looks bad. I think my hair may just be a hopeless cause. Oh, the joy of being a Sister and not having to deal with it :rolleyes:

I straighten it occasionally and it does look nice, but I heard that wasn't good for hair either. Then again, I haven't taken the best care of my hair anyway.

haha that's why i put my hair up so it doesn't feel greasy. and giving a quick rinse before getting out helps with that.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1684099' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:02 AM']Yeah, i don't use conditioner .... I try to avoid it. It makes my hair really really... greasy. I hate it, but then if I don't use it it is like a little puff.

Maybe I will just have to find a better brand or something.

I blow dry my hair a lot too because it is quicker then letting it air-dry. That is probably a big issue. When I don't though it really looks bad. I think my hair may just be a hopeless cause. Oh, the joy of being a Sister and not having to deal with it :rolleyes:

I straighten it occasionally and it does look nice, but I heard that wasn't good for hair either. Then again, I haven't taken the best care of my hair anyway.[/quote]
Use conditioner, but only on the ends of your hair...no where near the scalp. It should help cut down the greasiness, but also add moisture to the ends. Also, all that straightening and blow-drying kills hair. It's what is making it so dry.

[quote name='kujo' post='1684549' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:23 PM']Dude, my beard is about 8 inches long right now....can I donate that?[/quote]

lol, i think you need about ten inches. keep growing! ;)

i've never been able to grow my hair out long enough to donate it. my hair is REALLY fine, so it doesn't look that great when i grow it out. a little bit longer than shoulder length is usually the best i can get it.

icelandic_iceskater

I usually donate every year and a half or so. I absolutely love growing it out, then chopping it off, then growing it out, etc. =)