An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin's Shopping Spree

BG45

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Justin86' post='1684244' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:22 PM']Oh come on, what woman wouldn't spend all that money on her hair and clothes if she could? She's a woman for crying out loud, she's expected dress nicely and spend heavily on these sorts of things.[/quote]
I hope you're being facetious.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1684262' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:57 PM']I wouldn't. I like bargains.[/quote]
Ditto.

:smokey: [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1683969' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:39 PM']Definitely not very well thought out, especially during these shaky economic times. As if RNC expenses are going to be confidential information. Sheesh! You can get some nice non-high-end-designer label clothes and still look great, especially if you're Sarah Palin.

And it's beyond me how a hairstyling can be so expensive. I know Hillary had ones that were $1500 a visit -- and it's like, how???? Airfare and flying someone in from London? Gold dust hairspray? What?

Most average American higher-end salons getting a foil and a cut on the expensive side might be anywhere between $100-$150.

It boggles the mind.[/quote]
I'm with you.While i did not contribute to either McCain or Obama's campain funds, I am outraged. And let's say i had given McCain money, regardless of whether i gave him $10 or $1,000 I would still be upset.The money given to his fund by ordinary americans even rich ones shouldn't be used to buy her some new wardrobe.
It would have been better for McCain if they had taken the money spent on Palin's new clothes, and gone down to the Houston-Galveston area hit by Hurricane Ike and give a big check to Habitat for Humanity or Society of St.Vincent De Paul and the Salavation Arny, and show John McCain helping to build houses for these people and in new orleans too. Then John Q Public would go awh,McCain cares about us and might get some voters who are undecided and even steal some voters of Obama.Boy, is his campagein manager a dummy.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684256' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:01 AM']Umm, no she didn't. The RNC bought the clothes.

So presumably we can call her "elitist" for spending more on clothes than most families earn in a year?

BTW, why is it "class warfare" when Obama proposes taxing folks with annual incomes of more than $250K but not "plutocrat warfare" for Palin to be provided a wardrobe that costs more than most families earn in a year?[/quote]

That's right-- the RNC bought the clothes. She didn't use an Alaska expense account or hit up congress for money... the RNC paid for them.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1684323' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:06 PM']:smokey:
I'm with you.While i did not contribute to either McCain or Obama's campain funds, I am outraged. And let's say i had given McCain money, regardless of whether i gave him $10 or $1,000 I would still be upset.The money given to his fund by ordinary americans even rich ones shouldn't be used to buy her some new wardrobe.[/quote]
100% agreed.

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1684323' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:06 PM']:smokey:
I'm with you.While i did not contribute to either McCain or Obama's campain funds, I am outraged. And let's say i had given McCain money, regardless of whether i gave him $10 or $1,000 I would still be upset.The money given to his fund by ordinary americans even rich ones shouldn't be used to buy her some new wardrobe.
It would have been better for McCain if they had taken the money spent on Palin's new clothes, and gone down to the Houston-Galveston area hit by Hurricane Ike and give a big check to Habitat for Humanity or Society of St.Vincent De Paul and the Salavation Arny, and show John McCain helping to build houses for these people and in new orleans too. Then John Q Public would go awh,McCain cares about us and might get some voters who are undecided and even steal some voters of Obama.Boy, is his campagein manager a dummy.[/quote]
Texas is a Republican lock. Why waste valuable money helping the people that will elect you when you can spend it trying to impress those who probably won't?

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1684323' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:06 PM']:smokey:
I'm with you.While i did not contribute to either McCain or Obama's campain funds, I am outraged. And let's say i had given McCain money, regardless of whether i gave him $10 or $1,000 I would still be upset.The money given to his fund by ordinary americans even rich ones shouldn't be used to buy her some new wardrobe.[/quote]
I am a McCain donor, and I am not offended by Palin's purchases and hiring. The money has paid off. She dresses better than Hillary Clinton and Cindy McCain. I know there are enough McCain donors who agree with me who have contributed as a group enough money to cover the $150k.

You want McCain to work for charity. Did you hear the clothes will be donated to charity? You want McCain to build houses. Have you heard he sustained permanent injuries from his torture while in Vietnam? How is he going to swing back on a hammer if he can't lift his arms all the way? It is a challenge for him to even type on a computer.

Did you know Obama spends $1500 per suit? Should Obama be in Houston giving those large checks from his 605 million dollar war chest? Have you demanded that? Has the Obama campaign released figures on how much the campaign spends on the wardrobes of Obama and Michelle? Have you demanded that? Just curious.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hassan' post='1684278' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:49 AM']that's sick.

you have children starving and the RNC spends more money on two months worth of cloths than most familys would earn in three years.

Let me note, it's just as wrong to hear of Hillary getting a 1500 hair cut, or Edwaards getting a 400 dollar hair cut.[/quote]

Or Obama getting his own private jet with embroidered presidential seals

dominicansoul

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1684297' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:35 AM']You seem to fail to recognize that the 150k cost includes EMPLOYING people to travel with her. She is doing nothing other women who have to spend a lot of face time in front of large audiences do.

She is in a campaign. She has to look good. Edwards spends $400 on a haircut to go out Saturday night. He has to look good for an audience of one, his mistress.

Children starving? Why don't you ask the 605 million dollar presidential candidate how his brother is doing in Africa? How is his $12 salary a year going for him? Getting help from Obama? Obama's favorite passage is Matthew 25:40, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' Well, except for his brother, the unborn, and those he feels need to be euthanized. (Remember he said he would take back his vote on Terry Schiavo? [url="http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/triciachristensen/CGxRb"]Look at what his disgusting campaign said about euthanizing born babies[/url].)[/quote]

You haven't realized that to some posters here the Pro-death comments of Obama don't need to be mentioned over and over again. What needs to be brought to our attentions is how terrible McCain is and how silly Palin can be...

This is typical phorum rhetoric:

"Omigosh! Palin just brought a new dress for thousands and thousands of dollars!"

"But look guys Obama allows babies born alive to die..."

"...what does that matter, Palin just pronounced "nuclear" wrong!..."

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1684329' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:40 PM']That's right-- the RNC bought the clothes. She didn't use an Alaska expense account or hit up congress for money... the RNC paid for them.[/quote]
The last time I checked, the RNC wasn't a for-profit business. It's a political party that receives its funding via donations. I guess if the RNC feels that shopping sprees at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are a good use of funds donated for political purposes, who am I to argue?

BTW, I don't want to hear Palin speaking about "middle class" this or "Joe Sixpack" that, not when the cost of the clothes she's wearing represents a multiple of most people's annual salaries.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1684352' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:50 PM']You haven't realized that to some posters here the Pro-death comments of Obama don't need to be mentioned over and over again. What needs to be brought to our attentions is how terrible McCain is and how silly Palin can be...

This is typical phorum rhetoric:

"Omigosh! Palin just brought a new dress for thousands and thousands of dollars!"

"But look guys Obama allows babies born alive to die..."

"...what does that matter, Palin just pronounced "nuclear" wrong!..."[/quote]
What it's about is hypocrisy, and holding McCain and Palin accountable by their own standards. Obama is excoriated for being "elitist," while Palin runs around in designer Japanese glasses and a wardrobe that cost $150K. It's hard to be for the "common man" when your wardrobe cost a multiple of most people's annual salaries.

Edited by kenrockthefirst

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684362' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:04 PM']What it's about is hypocrisy, and holding McCain and Palin accountable by their own standards. Obama is excoriated for being "elitist," while Palin runs around in designer Japanese glasses and a wardrobe that cost $150K. It's hard to be for the "common man" when your wardrobe cost a multiple of most people's annual salaries.[/quote]

you just proved my point...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1684363' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:13 PM']you just proved my point...[/quote]
OK, here's MY point: Obama is pro-abortion. As I've said, multiple times, that makes him a non-starter from a Catholic perspective. As I've said, we all know what his position on abortion is, what else is there to say?

Obama's being pro-abortion [i]does not ipso facto[/i] make McCain a good candidate, or one that we should automatically vote for. YOU seem to be glossing over all his shortcomings because of his wishy-washy "support" for "life." If I seem to go out of my way to point out McCain's shortcomings, it's partially because of the willful glossing over of those shortcomings by you and others because of his wishy-washy "support" for "life."

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684360' date='Oct 23 2008, 03:02 PM']The last time I checked, the RNC wasn't a for-profit business. It's a political party that receives its funding via donations. I guess if the RNC feels that shopping sprees at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are a good use of funds donated for political purposes, who am I to argue?

BTW, I don't want to hear Palin speaking about "middle class" this or "Joe Sixpack" that, not when the cost of the clothes she's wearing represents a multiple of most people's annual salaries.[/quote]
The RNC is also not a charity. Your donations are not tax deductible either.

She did not go on a shopping spree. Her aides prepared her as a high level public official. Wal-Mart clothes aisle will not do. She is currently running as a VP candidate, which was not the case a mere 6 weeks ago. Before her calling to run for a higher office, she was middle class and Joe Sixpack. Have you read Todd and Sarah's tax returns? Hardly living the high life. It is those roots in a middle America style life she is tapping into on the campaign trail.

Did you hear the clothes will be donated to charity after the race?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1684367' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:29 PM']She did not go on a shopping spree. Her aides prepared her as a high level public official. Wal-Mart clothes aisle will not do. She is currently running as a VP candidate, which was not the case a mere 6 weeks ago. Before her calling to run for a higher office, she was middle class and Joe Sixpack. Have you read Todd and Sarah's tax returns? Hardly living the high life. It is those roots in a middle America style life she is tapping into on the campaign trail.[/quote]
And yet if John Edwards gets a $400 haircut it's the end of the world? It's not the cost of the clothes. It's the rank hypocrisy vis-a-vis the nonsense about the "elites" versus "real Americans."

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684364' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:23 PM']OK, here's MY point: Obama is pro-abortion. As I've said, multiple times, that makes him a non-starter from a Catholic perspective. As I've said, we all know what his position on abortion is, what else is there to say?

Obama's being pro-abortion [i]does not ipso facto[/i] make McCain a good candidate, or one that we should automatically vote for. YOU seem to be glossing over all his shortcomings because of his wishy-washy "support" for "life." If I seem to go out of my way to point out McCain's shortcomings, it's partially because of the willful glossing over of those shortcomings by you and others because of his wishy-washy "support" for "life."[/quote]

What you seem to be glossing over is that all you ever do is harp on McCain/Palin and praise Obama albeit with the words "but since he's for abortion i won't be voting for him."

Why not point out his greatest faults rather than McCain's? You never seem to have any criticism for Obama. You are always putting down McCain. And like I said, if someone is reading your posts, they would undoubtably choose Obama over McCain just for the points you have made. If McCain is wishy-washy over life issues, why don't you point out the horrid pro-death policies of Obama. THAT's WHAT I'm TALKING about!

"Obama is a baby-killer..."

"McCain/Palin are hypocrites..."

"But obama is a baby-killer..."

"mcCain is wishy washy on life issues..."

YEAH BUT OBAMA IS NOT wishy washy, HE's 100 % PRO-DEATH!!! We can't stop talking about that! That's the most important issue!!!