An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin's Shopping Spree

BG45

KnightofChrist

[quote name='BG45' post='1683916' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:08 PM'][url="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html"]Remember the big whining over John Edwards' $400 haircut paid for by money his campaign raised? Palin has outdone that with the RNC dollars.[/url]

More in the article, like how after the legal questions were raised, suddenly all the clothing will go to a charitable cause after the campaign is over. Because we all know your local Goodwill has stuff from Saks Fifth Avenue.[/quote]

Question, how much does all of Barrack's suites cost? Oh and Palin would again be beaver dam either way. Without the fancy clothes the press would be putting her down for it, like she was white trash or something.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684370' date='Oct 23 2008, 03:35 PM']And yet if John Edwards gets a $400 haircut it's the end of the world? It's not the cost of the clothes. It's the rank hypocrisy vis-a-vis the nonsense about the "elites" versus "real Americans."[/quote]
Again, this is a case of "does the exception define the norm?" With Edwards, $400 haircuts is the norm. With Palin, running for VP is not.

The problem with Edwards was not just the haircut. It was the fact $400 haircut is what he normally receives in addition to living in his gigantic mansion. Then, the next day, he claims he's average Joe and we need to all conserve energy. The $400 haircut was only one item in the total package of Edwards R' Us.

Edited by kamiller42

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1684376' date='Oct 23 2008, 03:49 PM']Question, how much does all of Barrack's suites cost? Oh and Palin would again be beaver dam either way. Without the fancy clothes the press would be putting her down for it, like she was white trash or something.[/quote]
It's $1500 a suit, and I am still waiting for those who have a problem with equipping Palin with a campaign wardrobe and support staff to demand the Obama campaign release their spending records. Oh wait. He doesn't have to because he broke his public financing pledge. But that's okay too. <_<

FYI: You can find a lot of designer stuff at Goodwill. Saks, Calvin Klein ... I have two Ann Taylor items hanging in my closet right now .. $2.50 each.

I wish Sarah Palin would donate to the Goodwill in Streetsboro, Ohio.

A non-issue, just like Edwards' haircuts, and Obama's lapel pins and all other clothing-related "controversies."

A poor use of resources? Probably.

An unfortunate story to leak? Definitely.

Anything that should affect our votes, one way or the other? No.

[quote name='kujo' post='1684431' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:36 PM']A non-issue, just like Edwards' haircuts, and Obama's lapel pins and all other clothing-related "controversies."

A poor use of resources? Probably.

An unfortunate story to leak? Definitely.

Anything that should affect our votes, one way or the other? No.[/quote]

Dear goodness, someone with some common sense. ;) What are you doing in Election Section with that?

[quote name='BG45' post='1684454' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:18 PM']Dear goodness, someone with some common sense. ;) What are you doing in Election Section with that?[/quote]

Haha. Well, I've been gone since September and happened to poke my head in this afternoon. In the past, my "common sense" has been derided and cast as liberalism and Obama-support on this Phorum. We shall see where that takes us this time.

My mom was a beautician. I wish she had made $1500 a pop. Even during the bee hive days, I don't think she made more than $20.

Liberalism, common sense, close enough; depends on one's POV. For instance a classmate is a Marxist Feminist...and she finds that common sense. Or on this phorum many people are rabid Republicans and find it to be common sense.

My whole purpose for posting the topic was to see how the different views would go; could Palin continue to do no wrong, or would someone call her on spending many times the average income of American families on clothes and beauticians.

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1684347' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:36 PM']The money has paid off. She dresses better than Hillary Clinton and Cindy McCain.[/quote]

...cause that is what's important. :rolleyes: but if she is hanging out with mrs. mccain that would explain a bit, doesn't mrs. mccain have a spending problem? and to all those who say, 'oh they are giving the clothes to charity later', notice that bg said that was never mentioned until after questions were raised. but even so, how many quality-but-not-designer clothes could have been purchased and distributed with the money she spent to buy hers? although i agree this isn't a huge issue, it was irresponsible.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1684349' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:42 PM']Or Obama getting his own private jet with embroidered presidential seals[/quote]

The jet can be defended, the $1500 suits cannot.

Saint Therese

If this were a man we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What is she supposed to wear on the campaign trail, goodwill??

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684633' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:34 PM']If this were a man we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What is she supposed to wear on the campaign trail, goodwill??[/quote]
How about the clothes she already owns?

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684633' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:34 PM']If this were a man we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What is she supposed to wear on the campaign trail, goodwill??[/quote]

...ummm...do you remember a gentleman named "John Edwards" who got a very expensive haircut?