An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apparently, My Bishop Went Too Far

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1686663' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:25 PM']I just thought it was cool.[/quote]

Well, if you are ever in the area, you are welcome to come to Mass

[quote name='Jevitt' post='1686376' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:25 PM']REALLY!? Well I'm from the Camden Diocese!
Too bad I doubt that our bishop would ever come out strong like that. *5 years until he retires* :rolleyes:[/quote]

You're from the diocese of Camden?!?! Me too. Sorry to act so giddy, but this is the first I've met someone from "home" around PM. I live about a half an hour from Glassboro. :)

And unfortunately, I have to agree with you on our Bishop, however I do respect him and his office. He's doing alright, considering all the chaos we're going through right now. Keep praying...

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1685023' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:12 PM']You know, that gave me a thought. Both McCain and Obama appeared at Saddleback a few months ago. Since Catholics represent a quarter of the electorate and probably even more in the "swing" states with a lot of electoral votes, why don't we have a similar forum that we invite candidates to - maybe even make it another televised debate? However, have someone like Bishop Seratelli (sp?) or Archbishop Chaput grill candidates on issues like abortion, Terri Schaivo, etc. and not let them off the hook if they do doubletalk.[/quote]

Gotta agree with the other poster, a Catholic debate wouldn't throw the needed softballs for them to agree to come...

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1686946' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:16 PM']I say every pro-life diocese should speak publicly against Obama. The state cant strong arm us around.[/quote]

yeah, there not strong arming you.

As a religious organization you have a tax exempt status, a privilege that is contingent on your organization not openly advocatinng for or against any specific cannidate.

If you choose not to follow that preaty lax requirment you loose your privilege amd are welcome to advocate for any cannidate, you just can't have that cool little tax break and have to pax taxes like any other organization.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1686958' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:22 PM']yeah, there not strong arming you.

As a religious organization you have a tax exempt status, a privilege that is contingent on your organization not openly advocatinng for or against any specific cannidate.

If you choose not to follow that preaty lax requirment you loose your privilege amd are welcome to advocate for any cannidate, you just can't have that cool little tax break and have to pax taxes like any other organization.[/quote]
The problem with the IRS statute is that it's completely arbitrary. Rome could refile the Catholic Church as a political action group whose sole purpose is to promote political candidates and causes, and that too would be a tax-exempt, non profit.

Obviously, that's not going to happen, but it's not like there is some IRS ban against being political and tax-free. It's just you can't be [i]religious[/i], political, and tax free. :wacko:

(All that said, I much prefer the Church being as unpolitical as possible.)

The tax exempt status of Churches is founded upon the constitution and not upon any particular enactment of the Congress. The Bill of Rights protects both the tax exempt status of Churches and the right of those within them, including bishops, priests, pastors, et al., to speak out on important issues and even to speak out against a candidate who promotes things contrary to the moral law. The present attempts of the tax code to prevent freedom of speech by religious leaders should be challenged.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1686998' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:52 PM']The tax exempt status of Churches is founded upon the constitution and not upon any particular enactment of the Congress. The Bill of Rights protects both the tax exempt status of Churches and the right of those within them, including bishops, priests, pastors, et al., to speak out on important issues and even to speak out against a candidate who promotes things contrary to the moral law. The present attempts of the tax code to prevent freedom of speech by religious leaders should be challenged.[/quote]

N\m..

Edited by rkwright