An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apparently, My Bishop Went Too Far

Theologian in Training

Thy Geekdom Come

God bless your bishop. To be honest, I'd rather the Church pay taxes and speak the truth unhindered, if need be, than be a lapdog to the status quo. We've dealt with extreme and unjust tax laws as a Church in the past, we'll deal with it again. The crucible can only make us holier.

Something tells me the IRS is probably going to give your Bishop a pass, at least for now. These tax-laws are unfortunately often selectively enforced based on who's in office. When a Democrat is in office, they're used against conservatives, and likewise when a Republican is in office they're used against Democrats. Totally unfair, but it is how it is.

[quote name='BG45' post='1684450' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:11 PM']Apparently someone never has been to certain mega churches; it's like one giant parade of political candidates in the past decade.[/quote]

You know, that gave me a thought. Both McCain and Obama appeared at Saddleback a few months ago. Since Catholics represent a quarter of the electorate and probably even more in the "swing" states with a lot of electoral votes, why don't we have a similar forum that we invite candidates to - maybe even make it another televised debate? However, have someone like Bishop Seratelli (sp?) or Archbishop Chaput grill candidates on issues like abortion, Terri Schaivo, etc. and not let them off the hook if they do doubletalk.

Bishop Serratelli's letter is SWEET!

I love the introduction, how he segways into the topic.

I'm not sure I even agree he crossed the line there. I really agree that:

"The Paterson diocese said Serratelli's column was focused on proposed abortion legislation, not the upcoming presidential election."

Much support goes out to him.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1685023' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:12 PM']You know, that gave me a thought. Both McCain and Obama appeared at Saddleback a few months ago. Since Catholics represent a quarter of the electorate and probably even more in the "swing" states with a lot of electoral votes, why don't we have a similar forum that we invite candidates to - maybe even make it another televised debate? However, have someone like Bishop Seratelli (sp?) or Archbishop Chaput grill candidates on issues like abortion, Terri Schaivo, etc. and not let them off the hook if they do doubletalk.[/quote]

They wouldn't come if their views disagreed. Would a politician set them self up to be shot down like that?

My Bishop Emerits (did I spell that rite?) just joined your Bishop!!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilIefMzYdM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilIefMzYdM[/url]

:smokey:

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1685866' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:43 AM']You're from the Diocese of Paterson?! I'm in the Newark Diocese. :smokey:[/quote]

I was almost ordained for that diocese.

All i have to say is PRAISED BE JESUS CHRIST!

Let the freaking persecution come. Bring it on! We've got the angels and the arch angels on our side!

Cherubim and Seraphim,
Pray for us!

All you arch angels,
Pray for us!

HisChildForever

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1685912' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:18 AM']I was almost ordained for that diocese.[/quote]

:shock:

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1685866' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:43 AM']You're from the Diocese of Paterson?! I'm in the Newark Diocese. :smokey:[/quote]

REALLY!? Well I'm from the Camden Diocese!
Too bad I doubt that our bishop would ever come out strong like that. *5 years until he retires* :rolleyes:

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1686184' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:26 PM']:shock:[/quote]

What's so shocking? I discerned this diocese and am happy I did.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1686596' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:15 AM']What's so shocking? I discerned this diocese and am happy I did.[/quote]

I just thought it was cool.