An Old School Catholic Message Board

Knights Of Columbus For Obama

Lil Red

fides quarens intellectum

some of these reactions - wow - i mean, why is this any more shocking/disturbing/appauling/scandalous than Catholics for Obama in general?

+J.M.J.+
why? part of the Knights is about the pro-life cause! from what I know, they have three major components: Life Insurance, Pro-Life Cause, and Vocations. for some Knights to abandon the pro-life cause when it is integral to them being Knights makes no absolute sense :wacko:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1703324' date='Nov 17 2008, 02:30 PM']...for some Knights to abandon the pro-life cause when it is integral to them being Knights makes no absolute sense :wacko:[/quote]

But couldn't the same be said about Catholics who voted for Obama?

[quote name='kujo' post='1703966' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:52 AM']But couldn't the same be said about Catholics who voted for Obama?[/quote]

thank you - my thoughts exactly.

:)

+J.M.J.+
okay, yes. but in a special way, i think, Knights are especially called to be a part of the pro-life movement - not every Catholic is called to get directly involved with the pro-life movement. :think: does that make sense?

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1704014' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:28 PM']+J.M.J.+
okay, yes. but in a special way, i think, Knights are especially called to be a part of the pro-life movement - not every Catholic is called to get directly involved with the pro-life movement. :think: does that make sense?[/quote]

I think we're all called to be part of the "pro-life movement" by our baptism and affirmation of faith.

[quote name='kujo' post='1704040' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:40 AM']I think we're all called to be part of the "pro-life movement" by our baptism and affirmation of faith.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i think you are deliberately misinterpreting my words. when a man joins the Knights of Columbus, he is called to directly get involved with the pro-life movement, in a special way; besides just being Catholic and asked to be pro-life.

and if that isn't understandable, i'm sorry. i guess my fingers and typing must have a disconnect today.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1704051' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:53 PM']+J.M.J.+
i think you are deliberately misinterpreting my words. when a man joins the Knights of Columbus, he is called to directly get involved with the pro-life movement, in a special way; besides just being Catholic and asked to be pro-life.

and if that isn't understandable, i'm sorry. i guess my fingers and typing must have a disconnect today.[/quote]

I'm sorry if that's the way it seems. I have no knowledge about the Knights of Columbus and am unfamiliar with their special calls.

Edited by kujo

When a man joins the Knights of Columbus, he is part of an organization that has been deemed the "Right arm of the Church" by Pope John Paul II, and which is 100% loyal to the Magisterium. It is a family-orientated, charitable, pro-life, CATHOLIC brotherhood of men.

A Catholic has an obligation to follow Christ and His Church of course, but when one becomes a Knight, you are [b]expected[/b] to aid in the Church's mission.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1704124' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:49 PM']When a man joins the Knights of Columbus, he is part of an organization that has been deemed the "Right arm of the Church" by Pope John Paul II, and which is 100% loyal to the Magisterium. It is a family-orientated, charitable, pro-life, CATHOLIC brotherhood of men.

A Catholic has an obligation to follow Christ and His Church of course, but when one becomes a Knight, you are [b]expected[/b] to aid in the Church's mission.[/quote]

Thanks PD. I've obviously heard of the Knights but I was under the impression that it was just a group of laymen with swords and stuff. Didn't know the rest.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1704124' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:49 AM']When a man joins the Knights of Columbus, he is part of an organization that has been deemed the "Right arm of the Church" by Pope John Paul II, and which is 100% loyal to the Magisterium. It is a family-orientated, charitable, pro-life, CATHOLIC brotherhood of men.

A Catholic has an obligation to follow Christ and His Church of course, but when one becomes a Knight, you are [b]expected[/b] to aid in the Church's mission.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
thank you Paladin! :love:

It is similar to how all Catholics are called to a spirit of poverty, but as a religious with a vow of poverty, that spirit of poverty is lived out in a very explicit way. Although the religious and the layman are both expected to live out the same spirit of poverty and detachment from the world, the religious is held to a higher standard by choice of vow.

The knights are held to a higher standard towards the pro-life movement by virtue of membership. All Catholics are held to uphold the pro-life movement, but knights in a more explicit way.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='kujo' post='1704134' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:15 PM']I've obviously heard of the Knights but I was under the impression that it was just a group of laymen with swords and stuff.[/quote]

same here.

[quote name='Slappo' post='1704143' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:58 PM']Hope that helps.[/quote]

does for me - thanks, Slappo and PalD

[quote name='Slappo' post='1704143' date='Nov 18 2008, 03:58 PM']It is similar to how all Catholics are called to a spirit of poverty, but as a religious with a vow of poverty, that spirit of poverty is lived out in a very explicit way. Although the religious and the layman are both expected to live out the same spirit of poverty and detachment from the world, the religious is held to a higher standard by choice of vow.

The knights are held to a higher standard towards the pro-life movement by virtue of membership. All Catholics are held to uphold the pro-life movement, but knights in a more explicit way.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Got it.