An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mccain Urged Reagan Admin To Meet Terror Groups Without Pre-conditions

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1684769' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:04 PM']Talks without preconditions would seem worthless, other than the Happy happy joy joy for the cameras what would we hope to gain? Oh but we talked, and talked it was great. Great [b]so[/b] what. For such meetings to take place there must be something which is REAL and positive to gain from it. Without preconditions I fail to see how that could ever be gained.

But at least I think or hope we can agree that should be at least Post-conditions for further talks, or for talks to continue. Right?[/quote]
Unless, you know, they actually talked.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1684798' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:28 PM']Unless, you know, they actually talked.[/quote]
kamiller is right. We talk with Iran all the time, just the leaders don't meet with each other. That's all pre-conditions have ever met.

If the goal is to try to come to an agreement, why would you even have to meet if there are pre-conditions in place? If the pre-conditions are met, then the talk is pointless--you got your way.

It's like a union trying to negotiate higher wages with an employer. How stupid is this:

Union: We will only meet to discuss if you agree to higher wages.
Employer: We will only meet to discuss if you agree to no pay raises.

DUMB.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1685206' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:08 PM']If the goal is to try to come to an agreement, why would you even have to meet if there are pre-conditions in place? If the pre-conditions are met, then the talk is pointless--you got your way.

It's like a union trying to negotiate higher wages with an employer. How stupid is this:

Union: We will only meet to discuss if you agree to higher wages.
Employer: We will only meet to discuss if you agree to no pay raises.

DUMB.[/quote]

[quote name='Justin86' post='1684916' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:41 AM']kamiller is right. We talk with Iran all the time, just the leaders don't meet with each other. That's all pre-conditions have ever met.[/quote]
It's also what McCain said in the debate. I am surprised how some don't get it. Indeed has me on his ignore list as he has failed to respond to my posts clarifying what pre-conditions means and how McCain and Obama differ.