An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Syrian Catholics...

Selah

I was browsing the web when I came upon an article concerning [url="http://lexicorient.com/e.o/syr_cath.htm"]The Syrian Catholic Church[/url]. I know this may not be the best article in the world, hence why I am asking here. I was just wondering, is the Syriac rite recognized by Rome, or approved? Can one be a Catholic and "take" (for lack of a better word) the Syrian rite? I did notice that it said the priests do marry, so i wasn't sure if this means they are schismatic or not...

Thanks!

[quote name='Selah' post='1684889' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:49 AM']I was browsing the web when I came upon an article concerning [url="http://lexicorient.com/e.o/syr_cath.htm"]The Syrian Catholic Church[/url]. I know this may not be the best article in the world, hence why I am asking here. I was just wondering, is the Syriac rite recognized by Rome, or approved? Can one be a Catholic and "take" (for lack of a better word) the Syrian rite? I did notice that it said the priests do marry, so i wasn't sure if this means they are schismatic or not...

Thanks![/quote]

I'm guessing you are meaning the Antiochian Rites which are come from the Church in Syria. Now this isn't my special field but I do know that the Syrian Churches (Eastern & Western) are recognized by the Holy See as being in communion with Rome. There are actually several Eastern Catholic Rites that fall under the Syrian category.

ANTIOCHIAN FAMILY OF LITURGICAL RITES
The Church of Antioch in Syria (the ancient Roman Province of Syria) is considered an apostolic See by virtue of having been founded by St. Peter. It was one of the ancient centers of the Church, as the New Testament attests, and is the source of a family of similar Rites using the ancient Syriac language (the Semitic dialect used in Jesus' time and better known as Aramaic). Its Liturgy is attributed to St. James and the Church of Jerusalem.

1. WEST SYRIAC
• Maronite – Never separated from Rome. Maronite Patriarch of Antioch. The liturgical language is Aramaic. The 3 million Maronites are found in Lebanon (origin), Cyprus, Egypt, Syria, Israel, Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Australia.
• Syriac – Syriac Catholics who returned to Rome in 1781 from the monophysite heresy. Syriac Patriarch of Antioch. The 110,000 Syriac Catholics are found in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt, Canada and the US.
• Malankarese – Catholics from the South of India evangelized by St. Thomas, uses the West Syriac liturgy. Reunited with Rome in 1930. Liturgical languages today are West Syriac and Malayalam. The 350,000 Malankarese Catholics are found in India and North America.

2. EAST SYRIAC
• Chaldean – Babylonian Catholics returned to Rome in 1692 from the Nestorian heresy. Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans. Liturgical languages are Syriac and Arabic. The 310,000 Chaldean Catholics are found in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey and the US.
• Syro–Malabarese – Catholics from Southern India using the East Syriac liturgy. Returned to Rome in the 16th century from the Nestorian heresy. Liturgical languages are Syriac and Malayalam. Over 3 million Syro–Malabarese Catholics can be found in the state of Kerela, in SW India.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholi...nd_churches.htm[/url]

So yes, Syrian Churches are in Communion with Rome. ^_^

Now as for this next part of your question:

[quote]Can one be a Catholic and "take" (for lack of a better word) the Syrian rite?[/quote]

From what I know a Catholic may own switch Rites once. Meaning yes one can go from Roman Rite to Eastern Rite but this can only happen once. You can't switch back and forth.

[quote]I did notice that it said the priests do marry, so i wasn't sure if this means they are schismatic or not...[/quote]

I wanted to clarify this part especially. A married priest does not equal schismatic. The Roman Rite even has some priests that are married. They usually were priests (pastors) in the Anglican Church and married before their conversion to Catholicism. The Vatican must grant special permission for these men to become priests. I know of a few married priests who belong to the Roman Rite. Remember priests in the Roman Rite not being married is a discipline not a dogma or doctrine ^_^. Most Eastern Rite Churches that I'm familiar with allow their priests to marry but some also remain unmarried and this does not mean that they are going against Church teaching since it is a discipline not doctrine or dogma. So married priests do not equal schismatic.

I hope this helps!

God Bless,
Jennie

For clarification sake. The sentence saying "Most Eastern Rite Churches that I'm familiar with allow their priests to marry" should be explained a little clearer. The Eastern Rite Churches allow married men to be ordained to the priesthood but they do not allow any man to marry who has already been ordained. Thanks Todd for pointing out that a clarification needed to be made.

God Bless,
Jennie