An Old School Catholic Message Board

But Its My Body!

tinytherese

Today, we often hear people say to butt out of other people's business and that "It's my body, I can do whatever I want with it" claim. Yet, so many harmful things can be done to the body with this kind of arguement. Promiscuity, abortion, euthenasia, eating disorders, getting drunk, high, etc. What should we say to people who make this claim?

It is your body, but your body ends where your baby's body begins.

Edited for poor grammar.

Edited by T-Bone _

In my first court case I made the argument that a parent's right to religious practice ends where their daughter's right to life begins. We have an absolute right to religious [b][/b]belief[b][/b] but not the right to religious [b][/b]practice[b][/b]. For example, what if someone believed in human sacrifice? They can believe all they want, but we wouldn't let them do it without consequences. That's why in the Declaration of Independence Life comes before Liberty which comes before Pursuit of Happiness.

To me choice is what you make before you engage in activities that can create life. A woman has the right to chose to say no. Her right to chose something that affects someone else's body, isn't about her own body. It's not her body that will get chopped up, sucked out, and discarded as biological waste, it is a separate individual.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1685145' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:04 PM']Today, we often hear people say to butt out of other people's business and that "It's my body, I can do whatever I want with it" claim. Yet, so many harmful things can be done to the body with this kind of arguement. Promiscuity, abortion, euthenasia, eating disorders, getting drunk, high, etc. What should we say to people who make this claim?[/quote]This appears, [i]in my personal judgment[/i], an appeal to "[i]individuality[/i]" and "[i]personal autonomy[/i]" or "[i]liberty[/i]". While this can be good, [i]regardless[/i], our actions have consequences. If the person is of reason, then they will realize that while they are indeed free to do as they wish, but they will have to live with the results of that same “[i]freedom[/i]” and “[i]wishes[/i]”.

[i]A healthy normal man is not physically restrained from running red lights, but he may have to deal with the consequences of doing just that later. Be it something tangible such as an accident or something less tangible, a ticket.[/i]

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1685227' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:32 PM']This appears, [i]in my personal judgment[/i], an appeal to "[i]individuality[/i]" and "[i]personal autonomy[/i]" or "[i]liberty[/i]". While this can be good, [i]regardless[/i], our actions have consequences. If the person is of reason, then they will realize that while they are indeed free to do as they wish, but they will have to live with the results of that same “[i]freedom[/i]” and “[i]wishes[/i]”.

[i]A healthy normal man is not physically restrained from running red lights, but he may have to deal with the consequences of doing just that later. Be it something tangible such as an accident or something less tangible, a ticket.[/i][/quote]

:clap: Yes, the issue here to understand what true freedom really is.

I like the quote "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." We have a great deal of freedom on matters to do with our own bodies, but we cannot expect the same rights when our action affects another human being.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1689085' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:30 AM']I would say well you don't abort yourself.[/quote]

Good come- back! :clap: