An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop Releases Radio Ad Stating No Catholic Can Vote 4 Obama

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

U.S. Catholic Bishop Rene H. Gracida Releases Radio Ad Stating no Catholic can Vote for Barack Obama in Good Conscience

MEDIA ADVISORY, October 24 /Christian Newswire/ -- Today - perhaps in an eleventh hour answer to prayer for the unborn - Bishop Rene H. Gracida has released a stunning radio ad concerning Catholics voting for Barack Obama. His ad is recorded in English and Spanish.

Bishop Gracida boldly states:

"This is Bishop Rene H. Gracida, reminding all Catholics that they must vote in this election with an informed conscience. A Catholic cannot be said to have voted in this election with a good conscience if they have voted for a pro-abortion candidate. Barack Hussein Obama is a pro-abortion candidate."

The commercial can be heard in English and Spanish at www.randallterry.com.

Bishop Gracida has offered this radio spot without charge for all who want to use it. All faithful Catholics are invited to download the mp3 file, and place this ad on their local radio station(s).

They must simply contact their local radio station (s), and pay for the ad as an "independent expenditure." The station can download the audio file to play on the radio. The mp3 file is also available at www.randallterry.com.

Moreover, permission is granted for the ad to be downloaded, sent as a file, or posted on any web site in America.

If this ad receives the airplay it deserves, it could sink Obama's campaign by jolting Catholic voters back to their senses and moorings. Over 50% of Catholic voters have been seduced into ethical quicksand by errant Catholics who are partisan supporters of Obama and have betrayed the lives of innocent unborn children.

Christian Newswire

I keep getting the old "can't vote for just one issue" line. In fact, someone I know even went so far as to say, "I'm too educated to vote for someone on the basis of one issue."

I have been so happy to see our bishops and priests stepping forward this election season. It is important they step forward and remind the flock of the important of the right to life.

If anyone is an IRS expert, I have a question. I know the Church can't endorse a candidate for tax reasons. Can the Church state its disapproval of a candidate without a threat from the IRS?

Go Bishop Gracida!

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1685316' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:13 PM']I keep getting the old "can't vote for just one issue" line. In fact, someone I know even went so far as to say, "I'm too educated to vote for someone on the basis of one issue."[/quote]
Run, don't walk, to [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=86442"]this mp3[/url]. Pro-life is not everything; it's just the start of everything. Peter's talk will teach what the single issue is so important.

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1685316' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:13 PM']I keep getting the old "can't vote for just one issue" line. In fact, someone I know even went so far as to say, "I'm too educated to vote for someone on the basis of one issue."[/quote]

Point out the FULL comment of the Bishops...

"42. As Catholics we are not single-issue voters. A candidate's position on a single issue is not sufficient to guarantee a voter's support. [b]Yet [/b]a candidate's position on a single issue that involves an intrinsic evil, such as support for legal abortion or the promotion of racism, may legitimately lead a voter to disqualify a candidate from receiving support."

You can't be a single issue voter, but you can disqualify a candidate from receiving your vote because of a single issue.

dairygirl4u2c

just to be clear what catholiccid quoted is from the american bishops (or at least they also state that) and the first post is from two independant bishops.

i think the fact they said "may" vote for abortion, instead of being more forceful on the necessity of voting only on abortion, goes to show it's not as clear what many catholics say, concerning what the bishops said, or the catholic church teaches. (i mean the argument can be made that it's clear that you should vote for abortion only in this election,,, but not based on very clear langauge saying so, rather a conclusion drawn from the language that isn't necessarily there very explicitly)

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

DairyGirl, it should be noted that the document also says (7) "This statement is intended to reflect and complement, not substitute for, the ongoing teaching of bishops in our own dioceses and states."

Many Bishops have proceeded to produce individual documents clarifying the statements used in Forming Consciences and prevent any misinterpretation of that.
These statements are to be taken WITH the Bishops' overall document and used to properly form our consciences in accordance to the teaching of the Church. It can be somewhat unclear, however, as we are called to vote with our conscience (formed according to Church teaching), which can be misinformed.

Fidei Defensor
:yawn:

If people listened to Bishops in the first place, they wouldn't be voting for Obama. I doubt this ad will have much effect. People are pretty set in who they are going to vote for.

true, but there are some who will hear the Bishops and adhere.

Obviously you seem unaware of those Catholics who fall along the lines, "The Bishops didn't tell us [i]NOT [/i]to vote for Obama...."

Of course, if your not Catholic, it would be pretty hard to know that.

kenrockthefirst

Both Obama and McCain support intrinsic evils, to wit, abortion and embryonic stem cell research respectively. In addition, McCain supports torture and, it can be argued, an unjust war. So now what does a Catholic do?

If both major candidates are immoral choices, then we either can vote to limit evil, specifically the evils of abortion per Bishops Vann and Ferrel's letter, or vote for a third party candidate if we believe they can win the election.

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1685316' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:13 PM']I keep getting the old "can't vote for just one issue" line. In fact, someone I know even went so far as to say, "I'm too educated to vote for someone on the basis of one issue."[/quote]

It's not just one issue... it's specifically four - which are our priorities according to the Vatican/US Bishops for proportional reasoning in order...

[b]1) Life[/b]
[b]2) Family[/b]... No same sex marriage or unions.. Obama supports same sex marriage... Biden lied during the debate, I've seen the video of him supporting it.
[b]3) Social Justice[/b]... it is not social justice to give programs that create dependency on welfare - redistribution of wealth creates dependency. i.e. We should teach the poor to "fish" while feeding them, don't just endlessly feed them because they will not have an incentive to work.
[b]4) Global Solidarity[/b]... I'm pretty sure the anti-Semitic goals of Obama are against global solidarity.

I'm so happy with our Bishops and Clergy standing up to the evils which have filled the democrat party.

[b]Ecclesiastes 10:2[/b]
The wise man's understanding turns him to his right; the fool's understanding turns him to his left.

God Bless,
ironmonk