An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weight Loss/health

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

So after an illness this February, I decided to eat more healthilt and excercise and have lost 55 pounds. Still, eating right and excercising is a daily struggle.
I was wondering if anyone else had dealth with this issue, or even with an eating disorder.

I was about 30+ overweight. I struggled with weight loss for most of my life. This past year I decided to do a weight loss contest at work. I lost 21.5 lbs using weight watchers and exercising like a fein. It is very hard and it is not an over night sucess. I am still working at it because I need to trim a few more lbs off. It was really hard for me to stick to it especially when there was candy in the house. It helped that I had a goal in mind ($1,000) but now I have new goals to make it the rest of the way. Try to set goals and rewards that do not revolve around food. (After I lose 5lbs I am going to get that CD I always wanted. Ten lbs I get to buy that pair of shoes that I always wanted!)

Make meal plan and stick to it. Write it down and check it off if you have too. That is what I liked about weight watchers is that I was able to eat anything I just had to plan for it. Most of all, you can do it!!

yes. i was not healthy for a long time. moving into an apartment and away from unhealthy sources of food (i.e. campus food) helped me a lot. since i don't have a car and go grocery shopping about twice a month, and rarely buy any junk food, eating healthier things is a little bit easier. i also walk....a lot. :mellow:

Edited by rachael

Saint Therese

I know what you mean about metabolism. Both my sister and dad eat pretty much anything they want, and graze all day. If I ate that way I wouldn't be able to roll myself out of bed.
One of the most unpleasant parts about losing weight is that other people feel that they can make inappropriate comments about your eating, if you do decide to treat yourself.
People seem to loose all boundaries when it comes to fat people.

Oh yeah. When I got injured, I also received a throat injury that torqued my thyroid or something, and with that, the immobility from the injuries themselves, the depression over the injuries and loss of my career, and the medication they put me on for PTSD all caused me to gain just enormous amounts of weight. It came close to killing me in 2001. Since that wake up call, I've lost a little over 200lbs. It has been a struggle since they can't prescribe a proper dose of thyroid medication for me because it makes my blood pressure go through the roof. I basically eat less and move more. The only exercise I'm allowed is water aerobics. Losing is the easy part though, it's keeping it off that is the real struggle. You can't look at it like you've got a short destination, and then when you get there, you're done. You have to make it a life long change. Focusing on being healthier rather than skinnier is key.

Saint Therese

I agree. I find that I can't stay motivated when all I focus on is losing weight. But when I focust on the health aspects of eating, its easier.
And my health has improved. I've no issues with asthma since I've lost weight.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686293' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:28 PM']I agree. I find that I can't stay motivated when all I focus on is losing weight. But when I focust on the health aspects of eating, its easier.
And my health has improved. I've no issues with asthma since I've lost weight.[/quote]

feeling healthier helped me continue.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686288' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:24 PM']I know what you mean about metabolism. Both my sister and dad eat pretty much anything they want, and graze all day. If I ate that way I wouldn't be able to roll myself out of bed.
One of the most unpleasant parts about losing weight is that other people feel that they can make inappropriate comments about your eating, if you do decide to treat yourself.
People seem to loose all boundaries when it comes to fat people.[/quote]
Regarding that....it's actually a little bit easier to lose weight if you nibble all day than if you eat large meals. :mellow:

Saint Therese

Yes its very motivating. I have tons more energy, and I can move easier.
Also, I love being able to buy clothes two sizes smallr than before..and my clothes continue to get looser.

My clothes not only got bigger, which I expected, but I also lost 2 shoe sizes, and my pants got longer. I actually started tripping over them.

Saint Therese

Yes, its true that even your feet lose weight.
People say that the difference in my face is dramatic, which I'm glad of. I can actually look at myself in the mirror now, and I love shopping for clothes, sometimes too much.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686293' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:28 PM']I agree. I find that I can't stay motivated when all I focus on is losing weight. But when I focust on the health aspects of eating, its easier.
And my health has improved. I've no issues with asthma since I've lost weight.[/quote]

My friend and sister in Christ, find motivation not in health but in Christ's love for you.
I focus on God and He is my motivation each day to stay in recovery. I have found that the devil has been working very hard to keep me from my vocation to the cloister. I will not let him win any more!

Your motivation should always to live in and for God, he will be your guide, lean always on him and let all your complaints fall to him and never to the human ear.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686324' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:46 PM']Have you ever visited the Benedictines in Bethlehem?[/quote]
In CT, nope.
But my aunt has a friend there.