An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weight Loss/health

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

One of the big things I've noticed about myself that I handle my emotions more effectively, and days when I don't are days when I don't eat like I"m supposed to.

[url="http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/michael-phelps-diet/656342/"]How about this diet?[/url] :D :D

Edited by Norseman82

Seriously, though, here are some things that may help:

1) Eat your main meal early instead of late.
2) Get enough fiber to keep your colon from getting clogged up. (I started taking Metamucil earlier this year).
3) Doing manual labor/household chores not only burns up calories, but keeps you busy enough to not snack.
4) Make sure you drink enough water.
5) Get enough sleep.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686332' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:54 PM']One of the big things I've noticed about myself that I handle my emotions more effectively, and days when I don't are days when I don't eat like I"m supposed to.[/quote]

That's the benefit of balanced blood sugars.

Saint Therese

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1686452' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:17 AM']That's the benefit of balanced blood sugars.[/quote]
I agree!! :))

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686265' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:11 PM']So after an illness this February, I decided to eat more healthilt and excercise and have lost 55 pounds. Still, eating right and excercising is a daily struggle.
I was wondering if anyone else had dealth with this issue, or even with an eating disorder.[/quote]
Oh, definitely. My thyroid conked out when I was a teenager, and it's been a struggle ever since. Being married to Mr. Tall-Skinny "True love means eating pizza together" has not helped. Dieting means feeling horrible and being unable to function. Failing to count calories and exercise means weight gain. Very hard to get to a good weight and stay there.

I don't really care, appearance-wise, but there are times when being overweight is a hassle. Like really long flights. Or mountain climbing. :mellow:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1686315' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:38 PM']My clothes not only got bigger, which I expected, but I also lost 2 shoe sizes, and my pants got longer. I actually started tripping over them.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

I know! Isn't that the dumbest thing ever? I mean, it makes sense when you think about it, but the diet ads never show, "I lost 25 pounds and look, my pants got long!"

[quote name='philothea' post='1686566' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:01 AM']Being married to Mr. Tall-Skinny "True love means eating pizza together" has not helped.[/quote]

Tell Mr. Tall-Skinny this story. In March I got a really nasty food poisoning, ended up in the hospital. Large middle-aged woman, history of high blood pressure comes in the ER with bad stomach pain, and the first thing they assume is heart attack. 2am, and they are waking up cardiologists to race in to do angioplasty on me, and install stents, they thought. I was fairly calm. I had my rosary, and knew as a Christian that I need not fear death. My husband, however, wasn't. I think he called and woke up every priest he knew. He couldn't let go of my hand, even as they were rolling me towards the cath lab. He had to sit in the hall outside while they did the procedure. He said he almost put his fist through the wall when he heard me start to scream. I was actually screaming because I'm very ticklish where they were putting the catheter in, but there was no way for him to know that. He went down to call my brother in Oklahoma and had to tell him that I might be dying. As it turned out, my heart was fine, no plaque at all, and the highest ejecta rate the cardiologist had ever seen (all due to water aerobics I'm convinced). When the doctor came out to tell my husband that I was fine, and no stent was needed, he was too upset to understand that I hadn't had a heart attack. It took until the next morning for it to sink in.

Ask your husband if he is ready to make those phone calls.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1686657' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:46 AM']and the highest ejecta rate the cardiologist had ever seen (all due to water aerobics I'm convinced).[/quote]

Could you elaborate on that more? I've gotten back into swimming more so I was just curious if that had something to do with chlorine.

I do believe she is talking about ejection fraction which is how much blood is pumped out of the heart with each beat. It is used to determine how well the heart is working.
Eating healthy is the best gift we can give to ourselves. Once you develop the taste for fruits and veggies, you want to stick with them. I try and make veggies the main part of my meal, and meat/fish as the smaller portion. It really helps if you become a food adventurer and try all those foods you never wanted to eat before.
Eating things like nuts are good for you and help your body, beside being tasty. Walnuts and almonds help lower cholestrol.
Switch from butter or margarine to things like Smart Balance or Benecol will also help lower your cholesterol.
When you are young it is important to build up a strong body, trust me, fat builds up and so does the placque in your arteries. We are seeing people now with strokes in their 30s. It is no longer just happening to older people.
Good luck with your eating!!

Yeah, ejection fraction is what I was talking about. Normal is 55-70%, and mine was 72%. Not bad considering I was slammed by an huge angina attack in 2001, and was on sustained release nitro glycerin until 18 months ago. My cardiologist told me that he's never had someone be able to go off nitro once starting it.

Water aerobics work well for getting your heart rate up if you work hard, and avoid the women who are just there to stand around and gossip. I tend to have a dead zone around me in the pool. I splash. It's the only exercise I can do because of all the physical injuries I deal with. Just because I walk with a crutch, one shouldn't underestimate me.