An Old School Catholic Message Board

Politicking

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

So today at work I had a customer that is running for Sherriff for our precint. He tried to get me to say i would vote for him.
He was a democrat. Since I was on the clock I was nice and didn't tell him that hell would freeze over before I voted Democrat.

You must mean a liberal democrat,right?.......I understand the frustration,just remember we are Catholics first. The Lord comes before politics. When I get really fearful of all the garbage that is going on I just remember God is the one with the steering wheel. There are alot of people praying about this,so whatever the outcome we must trust that it is what is best,even if it is a HUGE spanking. Sometimes that what it takes. Just do the best you can $ and know that "the Lord works for the good for those who loves him" Trust this....oh ya and fast and pray for his mercy.

Edited by jckinsman

Saint Therese

HE stressed that he uses commonn sense and votes a split ticket. What he meant that he wasn't voting O'bama.

But still. I just...can't vote for someone who claims the Party of Death as their own.

so... what would a pro-life sherrif do against abortion??? what about him being a democrat is going to make him an unqualified sherriff? come on now. if you think the other guy is a better sherrif, vote for him; but the democrat/republican division certainly doesn't work very well for the office of SHERRIF.

KnightofChrist

While I would agree the Democrat party is dead... Maybe you should have asked if he was prolife. If he answered yes, then look up if is opponent was prolife or proabortion. Their answer could have an effect on what kinds of laws are used or not used against peaceful prolife protesters.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1686517' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:23 AM']so... what would a pro-life sherrif do against abortion??? what about him being a democrat is going to make him an unqualified sherriff? come on now. if you think the other guy is a better sherrif, vote for him; but the democrat/republican division certainly doesn't work very well for the office of SHERRIF.[/quote]

We had a democrat on a ticket that was so much better then the republican one. Running for something that I forget now. As long as they can not pass any pro-choice legislation,...and they are not going to tax the people at will which I'm not sure a sheriff can do any of that. ....But I truly think that it is just an anxious time.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686525' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:34 AM']That's like saying a local official couldn't be that bad even if he was a member of the Nazi party.[/quote]

See the problem is it is the National Democrat Party, the head of the Democrat party that has all the problems.

There are people who still don't see the party is dead, even some here still call themselves Pro life Democrats. I'd still take a Prolife Democrat over a Pro'choice' Republican/-your party here- any day.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1686526' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:35 AM']We had a democrat on a ticket that was so much better then the republican one. Running for something that I forget now. As long as they can not pass any pro-choice legislation,...and they are not going to tax the people at will which I'm not sure a sheriff can do any of that. ....But I truly think that it is just an anxious time.[/quote]

There's a Pro-Life Democrat running against a Pro-Abortion Republican near but not in my voting district. But if I where in their district I'd be voting Democrat.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1686541' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:02 AM']Good for you.[/quote]

Thank you. What would you do if in that district and only a Prolife Democrat and Pro Abortion Republican to vote for? The point you hopefully understand is party is important but not everything.

please tell me HOW the office of sherrif is related to the pro-life cause... it ISNT. you would be perfectly fine electing a sheriff who was pro-choice because you are not electing him to any office that has any effect on that problem

it'd be like saying you can't hire a pro-choice secretary... ridiculous. you're basically hiring a man to do the job of sherrif. the question is "is he a good sherrif" not "what is his opinion on this issue that his office will not effect?"

a Nazi sherrif probably couldn't be trusted with that power because he might unfairly persecute Jews or something, and maybe just maybe a wacko nutjob pro-choicer couldn't be trusted if you thought that they might unfairly imprison pro-life protesters or something (but that is seriously stretching it, if the man understands the law and faithfully and evenly executes the law, then he's going to apply the same norms to everyone and the question is what angle will he take the police department in... only disqualify him if something leads you to believe that he plans to unfairly go arrest prolife protesters or something)

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1686545' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:12 AM']please tell me HOW the office of sherrif is related to the pro-life cause... it ISNT. you would be perfectly fine electing a sheriff who was pro-choice because you are not electing him to any office that has any effect on that problem

it'd be like saying you can't hire a pro-choice secretary... ridiculous. you're basically hiring a man to do the job of sherrif. the question is "is he a good sherrif" not "what is his opinion on this issue that his office will not effect?"

a Nazi sherrif probably couldn't be trusted with that power because he might unfairly persecute Jews or something, and maybe just maybe a wacko nutjob pro-choicer couldn't be trusted if you thought that they might unfairly imprison pro-life protesters or something (but that is seriously stretching it, if the man understands the law and faithfully and evenly executes the law, then he's going to apply the same norms to everyone and the question is what angle will he take the police department in... only disqualify him if something leads you to believe that he plans to unfairly go arrest prolife protesters or something)[/quote]

The question of the Sherrif being for life or against it is important to the laws he chooses to enforce or not enforce on Abortion Clinics, and the laws he chooses to enforce or not enforce against peaceful prolife protesters. The Sherrifs are right down there on the front lines of the culture war, the side they take will effect the kind of laws they enforce and how they enforce them.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1686549' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:23 AM']The question of the Sherrif being for life or against it is important to the laws he chooses to enforce or not enforce on Abortion Clinics, and the laws he chooses to enforce or not enforce against peaceful prolife protesters. The Sherrifs are right down there on the front lines of the culture war, the side they take will effect the kind of laws they enforce and how they enforce them.[/quote]

Maybe just ask them out right on the things you are passionate on if confronted again. I understand it was work,so it was tough.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1686543' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:07 AM']Thank you. What would you do if in that district and only a Prolife Democrat and Pro Abortion Republican to vote for? The point you hopefully understand is party is important but not everything.[/quote]

St. Therese, I am very interested in you answering the above question.