An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Vocation Story

Carmeliteheart726

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='nunsense' post='1689070' date='Oct 30 2008, 01:13 AM']Well, Carmeliteheart72 -- I think that the Carmelite vocation is a bit like a virus - once you have it, you have it for life :rolleyes: !

As some of you know, I spent eight months in Carmel in England, and thought that I was called to a more eremitic life, so left to discern this calling. During this time, I was inspired by Rosalind Moss to try her new community, but still needed more time in prayer, so then went on to the Hermits of Bethlehem for two months, during which time, I learned that I am not called to be a hermit (although the solitude was lovely, and so was having the Blessed Sacrament in the hermitage)!

Father Romano, the Desert Father there, told me that he had very little success with ex-Carmelites at Bethlehem, because they all seemed to have such a strong call to Carmel (the "virus") and they always ended up leaving the hermits. I remember telling him that this would not happen to me, that I was sure I had "gotten Carmel out of my system"! :rolleyes:

Well, yup, you guessed it. God always has a good laugh when we make our own plans. I am so glad that I have had this time back in the world, and also with both Ros' community and the hermits - I have learned so much and met so many wonderful people. And now I am working as a housemother in a Catholic anti-abortion shelter for pregnant teens, and it is another wonderful experience.

BUT, God does have His own way of doing things. Through a series of unusual encounters with complete strangers, I ended up contacting some Carmelites in Edmonton, Canada, and next week I am doing to do a live-in with them for six days! They are a very traditional community and have no web site or email, but I have spoken with the Prioress several times on the phone, and am very excited about going to meet them.

My spiritual director, who was also my confessor when I was a hermit, has told me that he feels sure I am called to return to Carmel, and that prayer is my vocation, so it was nice to have this reaffirmed for me.

The most important thing I have learned is to trust God in all things - even when it seems like nothing makes sense at all! I will pray for your discernment Carmeliteheart72. Praise God for another vocation! :love:[/quote]

LOL, that's so true about the Carmelite life being like a virus (a GOOD virus!)!!! Through the many communities I have checked out, thinking that maybe I was being silly in only attaching myself to one order, I have been wrong many times. I keep going back to the Carmelites. The Discalced Carmelites, are for sure, where I am getting the most attraction from. So much so, that I can't imagine living any other way! In fact, if I could go right now, you wouldn't see me for dust, LOL. :lol_roll: What is it about the Carmelites that attracts us so? I think for me, it's because Carmel is all Mary's and Mary is my Mother. She is my Mama! I love her so very much :saint:

I will pray for your vocation! I hope you have a wonderful time in Edmonton. As for me, I am strongly considering Valparaiso, NE and Arlington, TX. Valparaiso is really traditional, but they are not members of the SSPX, like most traditional communities. They receive Mass often from the Fraternity of St. Peter, which I think is really cool. PJPII was my favorite pope. It would be amazing to meet the young men in the fraternity. I hope God blesses them with many vocations!

God bless you!

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='TradMom' post='1689062' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:59 AM']+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Thank you for your open sharing about your journey. We all take delight in your wanting to give your ALL to Jesus. It sounds like you have really done your homework and research, and I believe firmly God will reward you with placing you in the right place.

I promise you that you will be in my prayers, the prayers of our family and I will ask my daughters in monastic life to pray for you as well. I know "my Carmelite" will be most excited a new daughter of St. Teresa might soon be joining the ranks.

I can't offer you any advice because you appear so solid and well grounded, but I can certainly assure you of prayers and support. May our dear Lord and Blessed Savior grant you every mercy and delight so that nothing stands in your way.

I am sure the Nuns in Texas would be only too happy to welcome you...may Our Lady of Mt. Carmel hide you tightly within Her mantle until you reach your "home."

TradMom[/quote]

You are too sweet, TradMom! :D Thanks for the compliments. I have a great spiritual guide in St. Therese. She is my big sister! I love her so much. I appreciate your prayers and support. May God bless you. You will be in my prayers too. Much love!

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1689079' date='Oct 30 2008, 01:23 AM']Two great books are [i]God the Joy of My Life[/i], by St. Teresa of the Andes, and a collection of her Letters.[/quote]

I will try to find that book. I think St. Teresa of the Andes writes beautifully from the quotes I have heard. I especially like this one:

[quote]"Christ, so foolish in his love, has driven me madly in love." -St. Teresa of the Andes[/quote]

I gotta agree with her on that :lol_roll:

Laudem Gloriae

I bought all my books on St. Teresa of the Andes at my local catholic bookstore but you can find them at this site, the publishers, Teresian Charism Press, at [url="http://giftstore.holyhill.com/holyhillshrine/page2.html"]http://giftstore.holyhill.com/holyhillshrine/page2.html[/url]

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1689542' date='Oct 30 2008, 11:24 PM']I bought all my books on St. Teresa of the Andes at my local catholic bookstore but you can find them at this site, the publishers, Teresian Charism Press, at [url="http://giftstore.holyhill.com/holyhillshrine/page2.html"]http://giftstore.holyhill.com/holyhillshrine/page2.html[/url][/quote]

LOL, that's funny because when I was looking for the book last night, I found this website. I have to wait a bit for funds, but I'm going to buy it from them unless I can find it somewhere else cheaper. :)

I have to tell you, the carmels you mentioned are all worthy. But I must ask if you could to consider Brooklyn. It is a refoundation from Buffalo, headed by Mother Maria Luz, in strictest traditions there are, remember old Brooklyn was in a class by itself according to the Carmelite historian from Baltimore and three original nuns planned for the refoundation, and is developing ( 1 postulant 1 novice) nicely. Also, if you are looking at England, don't forget St. Helen's, under Mother Teresa, extremely traditional. Dallas too, was great to visit with Mother Mary Regina

Another very nice group with a caring prioress is Philadelphia with Mother Barbara.

Carmel is a unique calling, the OCD's especially. I am in awe of anyone who tries, and pray for their perseverance.

Antoniette

Oh my GOSH! Can I please also recommend Mother Barbara at the Philadelphia Carmel????! She is SO NICE! She is loving, welcoming, and very wise. I am very strongly considering them. I believe they are a wonderful Carmel, and they have a great history. They have a beautiful booklet they published - I think it costs 10.00 but if you are interested in their life, they will send it to you for free. I keep reading it over and over again!

They are a TRUE cloistered contemplative community, living the life, they have beautiful grounds, and I can't say enough about them. I am looking forward to my visit, and I feel like it is already "home" for me.

They also wear the FULL holy and sacred habit - as it was intended to be worn, and they have retained all of the customs appropriate for cloistered nuns. I am storming heaven that they will get more vocations, because they are a great community, and I think Mother Barbara is THE BEST!

Katherine

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1693048' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:52 PM']Oh my GOSH! Can I please also recommend Mother Barbara at the Philadelphia Carmel????! She is SO NICE! She is loving, welcoming, and very wise. I am very strongly considering them. I believe they are a wonderful Carmel, and they have a great history. They have a beautiful booklet they published - I think it costs 10.00 but if you are interested in their life, they will send it to you for free. I keep reading it over and over again!

They are a TRUE cloistered contemplative community, living the life, they have beautiful grounds, and I can't say enough about them. I am looking forward to my visit, and I feel like it is already "home" for me.

They also wear the FULL holy and sacred habit - as it was intended to be worn, and they have retained all of the customs appropriate for cloistered nuns. I am storming heaven that they will get more vocations, because they are a great community, and I think Mother Barbara is THE BEST!

Katherine[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check them out! Do they have a website or anything?

P.S.--I think it's absolutely funny that you joined Phatmass on my 25th birthday this year. God bless! :D

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1693048' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:52 PM']Oh my GOSH! Can I please also recommend Mother Barbara at the Philadelphia Carmel????! She is SO NICE! She is loving, welcoming, and very wise. I am very strongly considering them. I believe they are a wonderful Carmel, and they have a great history. They have a beautiful booklet they published - I think it costs 10.00 but if you are interested in their life, they will send it to you for free. I keep reading it over and over again!

Katherine[/quote]

Yay! Carmel of Philly! We've been praying for vocations for them! I have one of their anniversary books. In fact, they sent me a whole box of them for distribution in our last couple of mailouts.

They don't have a website, but someone could put a bug in their ear and I can build one for them. Please remind them that it's free.

Don't forget the Pink Sisters and the Visitation, in Philly, too!

Hey, why not make a monastic tour/nun run of it?

Blessings,
Gemma

Guest Perpetualove

I have also been in correspondence with Mother Barbara and have found her to be most welcoming, delightful and a wonderful representative of a true cloistered nun! I definitely think a trip to Philadelphia is in order!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Antoniette' post='1692981' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:52 PM']I have to tell you, the carmels you mentioned are all worthy. But I must ask if you could to consider Brooklyn. It is a refoundation from Buffalo, headed by Mother Maria Luz, in strictest traditions there are, remember old Brooklyn was in a class by itself according to the Carmelite historian from Baltimore and three original nuns planned for the refoundation, and is developing ( 1 postulant 1 novice) nicely. Also, if you are looking at England, don't forget St. Helen's, under Mother Teresa, extremely traditional. Dallas too, was great to visit with Mother Mary Regina

Another very nice group with a caring prioress is Philadelphia with Mother Barbara.

Carmel is a unique calling, the OCD's especially. I am in awe of anyone who tries, and pray for their perseverance.

Antoniette[/quote]

I cannot express how kind and good Mother Maria Luz is. I always become really nervous when writing or speaking with a Mother Prioress, but that is just not the case with Mother Maria Luz. She just puts me at ease and is so gracious and kind in every single word. The Brooklyn Carmel is very beautiful and traditional too. And the Carmel reminds me of what St. Teresa of the Andes said about her Carmel, "When I saw my dear little convent, what an impact it made on me! It looks so poor! It doesn't look like a convent but like an old house. Still it's poverty speaks so well of it."

They follow the 1990 Constitution. They wear the full habit. The novice and the the postulant are both young (18 and 19, I think... or about to be). They have seven sisters. They were founded three years ago. They have a lot of adoration, compared to other Carmels. The Bishop recently opened a House of Discernment up near the Carmel for young men discerning the priesthood, so the sisteres have a holy hour with the Blessed Sacrament exposed once a week, as the young men gather with their spiritual directors in the chapel for prayer. They also have Exposition on the Third Sunday of the month, which is their day of retreat, and on other feasts and special occasions, like Corpus Christi. They also have Exposition all day on the Sundays of Lent and Advent.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Gemma' post='1694711' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:01 PM']Yay! Carmel of Philly! We've been praying for vocations for them! I have one of their anniversary books. In fact, they sent me a whole box of them for distribution in our last couple of mailouts.

They don't have a website, but someone could put a bug in their ear and I can build one for them. Please remind them that it's free.

Don't forget the Pink Sisters and the Visitation, in Philly, too!

Hey, why not make a monastic tour/nun run of it?

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

Slight change of topic.

Gemma, you're the Expert.

What IS the status of the Benedictines in Kansas, formerly Scranton, formerly Massachusetts?
I was suspicious of them bec. they weren't affiliated w/ anyone, unusual for OSB's, who are always affiliated w/ some other OSB group! Their size would not keep them from being a priory, affiliated with an Abbey. They remind me of the Carmelites in Colo Springs who also aren't affiliated w/ anyone, and it turns out --surprise--are sedevacantist, or at least not in union w/ Rome.

I assume that this is also true of the Benedictines now in Kansas.

Do you know?

Sorry to bring this up here, but sometimes I can't access various threads, one of them the Benedictine of Mary thread. Go figure.

Also want to mention to save $$ in books searches, ie for Carmelite books, specifically Teresa of the Andes, looking on amazon.com under the author or title, also www.bookfinder.com. For the latter, sometimes you have to try various combinations of author's name, ie "Michael D Griffin" (I think) rather than "Fr. Michael D. Griffin", author of several T of the A books,--found me several titles available for $11.00 or so!

[quote name='xyzv1' post='1695705' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:20 PM']Slight change of topic.

Gemma, you're the Expert.

What IS the status of the Benedictines in Kansas, formerly Scranton, formerly Massachusetts?
I was suspicious of them bec. they weren't affiliated w/ anyone, unusual for OSB's, who are always affiliated w/ some other OSB group! Their size would not keep them from being a priory, affiliated with an Abbey. They remind me of the Carmelites in Colo Springs who also aren't affiliated w/ anyone, and it turns out --surprise--are sedevacantist, or at least not in union w/ Rome.

I assume that this is also true of the Benedictines now in Kansas.

Do you know?

Sorry to bring this up here, but sometimes I can't access various threads, one of them the Benedictine of Mary thread. Go figure.

Also want to mention to save $$ in books searches, ie for Carmelite books, specifically Teresa of the Andes, looking on amazon.com under the author or title, also www.bookfinder.com. For the latter, sometimes you have to try various combinations of author's name, ie "Michael D Griffin" (I think) rather than "Fr. Michael D. Griffin", author of several T of the A books,--found me several titles available for $11.00 or so![/quote]

According to engineer hubby, an 'expert' is a drip under pressure. :lol_roll:

Sedevacantist is different from schismatic, which is what the two groups in CO are. They say they are Ecclesia Dei, but, like I've said on another thread, Rome doesn't see it that way, so therefore they are "irregular." (That particular word is probably from "regula" meaning "rule"--like Third Order Regular means religious in simple vows).

The Bens of Mary in Kansas City are good. There is a monastery of Benedictine nuns, however, in either OK or KS, who are "irregular." Their local bishop has visited them several times in goodwill gestures. We had a discerner "in here" at Cloister Outreach a few years ago who let me know that these Bens even existed, and that negotiations with the diocese were in progress.

The Benedictines of Mary in Kansas City are very much in communion with Rome, or my old buddy, Fr. Christopher Henderson, CPM, (he's from TN) would not be their chaplain! (At least he was last I'd heard).

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma