An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Barack Be President?

prose

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='prose' post='1689428' date='Oct 30 2008, 03:54 PM']Wow.. It is confusing down there.[/quote]
I feel the same way about Canada ;)

We vote for a representative for our area. It is really a personal choice whether we vote party or candidate, and whichever party has the most seats in Canada, their leader is Prime Minister.

I think it is pretty straightforward.

But you guys vote for someone who may or may not represent you? And may or may not vote the leader you thought you were voting for president?

Edited by prose

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='prose' post='1689432' date='Oct 30 2008, 03:59 PM']We vote for a representative for our area. It is really a personal choice whether we vote party or candidate, and whichever party has the most seats in Canada, their leader is Prime Minister.

I think it is pretty straightforward.

But you guys vote for someone who may or may not represent you? And may or may not vote the leader you thought you were voting for president?[/quote]
Technically, yes. Though I don't believe there has been any instance of the electoral college voting against what their state voted, which made any difference of consequence.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='prose' post='1689417' date='Oct 30 2008, 05:40 PM']Okay... (sorry about my not knowing anything about the American System)...

Don't you have a 2 party system? So the other party would be the person who got the most votes, wouldn't it?

Or would it somehow be Hillary?[/quote]
Well, actually, we don't have a two party system... there are many other "third parties" but for all practically purposes, yes, two parties. And don't worry. Most Americans don't get how our system works. ;)

The system was designed for a time when it took weeks to find out who had voted for what, and the peasants couldn't be trusted to vote as wisely as land owners.

Barack Obama is clearly a citizen. That's why the governor of hawaii is sealing his birth certificate so no press can see it. He clearly has nothing to hide

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Fixxxer' post='1689641' date='Oct 30 2008, 09:45 PM']Barack Obama is clearly a citizen. That's why the governor of hawaii is sealing his birth certificate so no press can see it. He clearly has nothing to hide[/quote]
It's been released. How many times must we go through this?