An Old School Catholic Message Board

33.6 Million Watched Obama Ad

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1689735' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:36 AM']it would be really scarry if little kids came out of nowhere into the store singing that song to obama while all the tv's were showing the info commecial....and then all the employes started to get on there knees and begin praising obama while the lights started to flicker....[/quote]

....and one by one the teens started chanting" I'm gonna be a lawyer because of Obama" "I'm gonna be a Doctor because of Obama" "I'm gonna be a teacher......" There eyes turn into the snakes eyes on jungle book,".......trust in me.....just in me..." They all start humming it. :seehearspeak: :bigpray: Then the owner decides to distribute all of his inventory equally to all :shutup:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1689625' date='Oct 30 2008, 11:29 PM'][url="http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/10/obama-ad-rating.html?%3F"]http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/10/obama-ad-rating.html?%3F[/url]

UPDATED: If Barack Obama fails to win the election, perhaps the networks should hire him to entertain viewers on Wednesday nights.

Obama's 30-minute primetime infomercial was seen by 33.6 million viewers across seven networks -- including CBS, NBC, Fox, Univision, MSNBC, BET and TV One.

That's 70% more people than watched the conclusion of the World Series last night on Fox (19.8 million). Clearly, Obama vs. McCain is more compelling to viewers this week than Phillies vs. Rays.

Nielsen estimates that roughly 71% of viewers were white, 17% of viewers were black and 15% were Hispanic.*
Now the tricky question is: What do you compare Obama's ad to? After all, such a national pre-election special hasn’t been attempted in more than a decade.

>> A Ross Perot political special in 1996 totaled 22 million viewers. And one of Perot's ads on Nov. 2 in 1992 carried on ABC and CBS attracted 26 million viewers. Obama's ad was 30% higher but, then again, Perot only got 19% of the vote on Election Day.

>> The lowest-rated of the three recent presidential debates received a 52.4 million viewers -- but that was carried by more networks and was, after all, a highly anticipated debate instead of a paid ad.

>> Among all seven networks, the time period typically draws a total of 30.3 million -- so Obama increased their viewership by about 11%.

The entertainment programming that usually runs in the slot on NBC, CBS and Fox averages 23.1 million viewers each week since the start of the season, roughly 9% lower than the Obama ad total on those networks (which is 25.5 million).

But the usual shows are comedies and dramas. Can one realistically compare "Knight Rider" to a political ad? That would normally seem unfair -- to the politician. Obama improved NBC's time period average this season by 40% and CBS' by 19%.

And keep in mind Obama was competing against himself.

NBC was the most-viewed and highest-rated network for its presentation of Obama's ad, pulling 9.8 million viewers and a 3.0 preliminary adults 18-49 rating. CBS had 8.6 million (2.3) and Fox had 7.1 million (2.8).

Among the top 56 local metered markets, Nielsen says the Baltimore market had the largest TV audience for the ad while the Portland market had the lowest.

As for ABC's underdog "Pushing Daisies," airing on the only major broadcaster not to carry the ad, the counterprogramming tied CBS for third place in the adults 18-49 demo in the afternoon nationals. "Daisies" (6.7 million, 2.3) was also up by 21% from last week to a season high. The CW's "America's Next Top Model" (3.9 million, 2.0), also running in the time period, didn't receive a bump and was on par with last week.[/quote]

Well, when you essentially blanket the airwaves. As for those other tv shows...you really cannot brag about them at all. :thumbdown:

I guess the informationals showed one thing. Americans are desperate to watch TV even if it means watching a political ad. :madrant:

I guess you have to give :bow: Obama a little credit although I kind of think people were more interested not because it was :bow: Obama but because a person running for president bought so much air time and were curious to see it.

America is not ready for the ideals :bow: Obama stands for and will awaken soon enough. :bow: Obama is a good speaker and has won many hearts. Keeping those hearts will be a different story. All of :bow: Obama's promises need to be bought somewhere and once America realizes that it has to pay for its own promises, it will do a double take. :bigthink:

The next 4 years will be interesting. :sign:

Edited by eagle_eye222001

I find [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bONVzY-Ppyw"]this response with humor[/url] to be a fairly accurate examination of Obama's commercial. Enjoy! :D

KnightofChrist

Obama infomerical

"OBAMA! Apply directly to the forehead!!!"

It's funny how Fidei makes a big deal about Obama's fibmercial having more viewers than the World Series. How many networks was Obama's victim-fest on? How many networks was the World Series on? Of course, you guys already know this.

and it wasn't like the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or any other [b]big[/b] team was in it... the WS just wasn't going to pull in big numbers this year.

I didn't watch the Obama-mercial, but word on the street was that it was full of cr@p.
(by word on the street, I mean NPR)

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1690186' date='Oct 31 2008, 07:28 PM']and it wasn't like the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or any other [b]big[/b] team was in it... the WS just wasn't going to pull in big numbers this year.

I didn't watch the Obama-mercial, but word on the street was that it was full of cr@p.
(by word on the street, I mean NPR)[/quote]
Just think what Obama's aunt, who lives in a Boston slum, and his brother, who lives in a hut in Kenya, could have done with a fraction of the money spent on that infomercial.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00793/220-obama-brother_793467f.jpg[/img]
Obama's Brother & His Hut

[img]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00421/Aunt-house2-360_421965a.jpg[/img]
Obama's Aunt @ Her Home in the Boston projects.

Remember his favorite Bible passage, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' - Matthew 25:40 And don't forget this quote from the convention, "It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper — that makes this country work." Obama is quite a guy! And he dares calls people who don't want their taxes raised "selfish"! :lol_roll:

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1690229' date='Nov 1 2008, 09:52 AM']Just think what Obama's aunt, who lives in a Boston slum, and his brother, who lives in a hut in Kenya, could have done with a fraction of the money spent on that infomercial.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00793/220-obama-brother_793467f.jpg[/img]
Obama's Brother & His Hut

[img]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00421/Aunt-house2-360_421965a.jpg[/img]
Obama's Aunt @ Her Home in the Boston projects.

Remember his favorite Bible passage, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' - Matthew 25:40 And don't forget this quote from the convention, "It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper — that makes this country work." Obama is quite a guy! And he dares calls people who don't want their taxes raised "selfish"! :lol_roll:[/quote]
See, but it should be the job of every hard working American to support his Aunt, and his brother, not just him. You don't deserve all that wealth.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Justin86' post='1690236' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:05 PM']See, but it should be the job of every hard working American to support his Aunt, and his brother, not just him. You don't deserve all that wealth.[/quote]

You two just don't understand it's not Obama's job to take care of his own family it is the governments job.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1690241' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:12 PM']You two just don't understand it's not Obama's job to take care of his own family it is the governments job.[/quote]Aren't there rules about how one can spend campaign contributions?