An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am So Po'd!

CoffeeCatholic

CoffeeCatholic

Ok, here's the story.

Joey and I decided it would be nice to use the local Knights of Columbus hall for our reception in January. I started calling them in June. Yes, June. This guy never called back. So I called back 2 weeks later, to learn that they can't call long distance (my cell phone) from the hall. So i gave then 2 alternate local numbers to call, including my fiance's.

Not a peep. I called back at least 2 dozen more times.

Finally, last month our friend caught the guy we've been trying to get ahold of (for 5 months at this point) and got our name penciled in on the date book. Of course, we needed a contract, and so we started calling him the next day (even though he told our friend he would call us). Never a word, never got through.

Tonight Joey went to their meeting to meet with this guy face to face (and corner him basically).

Long story short, he booked the hall last week for some Al Anon's conference for our day. And he acted like he'd never heard our names before that night.

I just want to scream!!!!!

Ash Wednesday

Oh......dude.
I so totally feel your pain.

As a newlywed I can honestly say I won't get married ever again if I can help it. :mellow:
Nothing against marriage :P but the whole planning stage? When dealing with a wedding that isn't local to where you are? Yeah. Think I'd rather not go through it again.

It will all work out.

CoffeeCatholic

We're getting married in january. The invites were already sent, since we *knew* we had the hall after ben talked to the guy last month.

I apologize if it's not appropriate, St. Therese. It's not the most charitable thing I've ever written, but i'd be lying if i said i felt charitable right now.

Joey and I are looking at options- there's bound to be something, but it's so late in the game, and nothing is going to be as cheep or easy as the knights hall- which is 6 blocks from our church.

*sigh*

pray for me, please.

homeschoolmom

Sorry for your disappointment, but you never "know" you have something until you have a contract. It sounds to me like it would have been better to look into second or third options in June when the guy was not getting back to you (a potential red flag right there) rather than relying on the KoC hall simply because it was close and cheap.

That is so sad. I totally understand hall craziness. Working at a church, we get it all the time.

I would suggest thinking outside of the box... Are there any schools nearby that you can book a gym (my cousin did that, and decorated, it isn't as tacky as it sounds). How about basements of other churches? Sometimes churches have halls that they don't advertise. Even if you had it in the hall of another denomination, that would be good. Start brainstorming with your fiance spaces that are large enough and then call around. You would be surprised what you can come up with.

Good luck!

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that croutons just to try and rent a KofC hall. Hopefully this doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth on the entire organization in general, many of us are good, [b]competent[/b] guys.

I hope you find another place that is better suited for your needs.

CoffeeCatholic

yeah, i agree now- P***ed is probably not the best word. I wouldn't be opposed to someone editing that title.

I've calmed down a lot since last night. I'm still not happy, but you guys are right about a lot. For one, even though I'm from the south- where a handshake and a good word still stand, that doesn't mean anything out here. I love the Knights- Joey's a 4th degree- and I love this council- just not the current leadership. I guess we could say that about a lot of things right now :)

Also, my boss just reserved a "backup" location for me in the "Penthouse Party Room" of her friend's condo- for free. So there's a very nice looking silver lining. We'll see if it works out, but it's ours if we want it.

sorry i'm a little nutty and I flew off the handle like that on you, pham. I promise i'm not this crazy in real life... all the time.

Ash Wednesday

I didn't think the usage of the p-bomb was a big deal. It missed the philters anyway. :D
These kinds of meltdowns are all totally understandable when you are a planning bride. I'm still trying to recover from it all and that was almost two months ago!!!

CoffeeCatholic

oh man. now i know the reason for the honeymoon.

on an entirely related note, where did all you married people sit/stand/knell during your wedding mass? Joey and I are having a bit of a disagreement on this point. He refuses to be "front and center" or in the sanctuary. That leaves the pews. I'm not thrilled mainly because of logistics, but also because of family and guests being sad not to be able to see us- i mean, they're flying out here to see us! Joey insists that's prideful or vain, while I insist that I don't care if i'm "seen", but only that my family are comfortable, and we aren't blocking the aisle for the communion line.

There really aren't other options in my church.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1694192' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:24 AM']oh man. now i know the reason for the honeymoon.

on an entirely related note, where did all you married people sit/stand/knell during your wedding mass? Joey and I are having a bit of a disagreement on this point. He refuses to be "front and center" or in the sanctuary. That leaves the pews. I'm not thrilled mainly because of logistics, but also because of family and guests being sad not to be able to see us- i mean, they're flying out here to see us! Joey insists that's prideful or vain, while I insist that I don't care if i'm "seen", but only that my family are comfortable, and we aren't blocking the aisle for the communion line.

There really aren't other options in my church.[/quote]
Well, the church we got married in was rather large, and so we sat on the side just in front of where the priest sits. My knee wouldn't allow me to kneel during the entire Mass at that point, or else I would have been more inclined to kneel in front of the altar.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1694192' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:24 AM']oh man. now i know the reason for the honeymoon.

on an entirely related note, where did all you married people sit/stand/knell during your wedding mass?[/quote]

We were front and center. There were a couple of chairs provided for us, plus a kneeler in front of the chairs. This was at a very traditional church, so they were pretty sweet looking old chairs, too. :smokey:

I don't think there was a question or an option about where we were going to sit. The priest basically said "this is where you will be" and that ended the discussion right there. :lol_roll:

Edited by Ash Wednesday