An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am So Po'd!

CoffeeCatholic

missionarybelle

I don't think it's a "look at me" kinda thing but more of a [b]we're[/b] coming together to be married in fron of this altar and all these crying, dressed up people are our dearly beloved [b]witnessing[/b] our love.

missionarybelle

besides, I like to be able to see the bride and admire her dress which is very hard when she's not up there on the altar

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1694192' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:24 AM']on an entirely related note, where did all you married people sit/stand/knell during your wedding mass? Joey and I are having a bit of a disagreement on this point. He refuses to be "front and center" or in the sanctuary. That leaves the pews. I'm not thrilled mainly because of logistics, but also because of family and guests being sad not to be able to see us- i mean, they're flying out here to see us! Joey insists that's prideful or vain, while I insist that I don't care if i'm "seen", but only that my family are comfortable, and we aren't blocking the aisle for the communion line.[/quote]

It is not vain at all to sit front and center. In fact, the fact that you two are the ministers of the sacrament make it important that you are in that position. Is a priest vain because he is in front of Mass?? No! It isn't the fact that you are there that makes it vain, it is the intention. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that your intention is to minister the sacrament in a holy, reverent way. Front and center is absolutely the place that you should be.

:)

[quote name='prose' post='1694383' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:37 PM']It is not vain at all to sit front and center. In fact, the fact that you two are the ministers of the sacrament make it important that you are in that position. Is a priest vain because he is in front of Mass?? No! It isn't the fact that you are there that makes it vain, it is the intention. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that your intention is to minister the sacrament in a holy, reverent way. Front and center is absolutely the place that you should be.

:)[/quote]

I agree. When I go to a wedding, I want to SEE the bride and groom. That's why I'm there. Otherwise I'd go to a different mass.

And to the OP, prayers for you and you future husband! It will work out!

Edited by Sarah_JC

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1694233' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:33 AM']We were front and center. There were a couple of chairs provided for us, plus a kneeler in front of the chairs. This was at a very traditional church, so they were pretty sweet looking old chairs, too. :smokey:

I don't think there was a question or an option about where we were going to sit. The priest basically said "this is where you will be" and that ended the discussion right there. :lol_roll:[/quote]

This is pretty much how it was with us, too. There were kneelers set, centered, in front of the altar for us, and then chairs\off to the sides for the times when we sat (when we sat we didn't actually get to sit together, that bummed my husband out lol I was to one side with my maid of honor and he was to the other with the best man). The chairs being off to the side meant we weren't blocking the opening at the altar rail for the priest to distribute Communion to everyone else.

I think going back and forth to the pews would be a hassle.

CoffeeCatholic

[quote name='prose' post='1694383' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:37 PM']It is not vain at all to sit front and center. In fact, the fact that you two are the ministers of the sacrament make it important that you are in that position. Is a priest vain because he is in front of Mass?? No! It isn't the fact that you are there that makes it vain, it is the intention. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that your intention is to minister the sacrament in a holy, reverent way. Front and center is absolutely the place that you should be.

:)[/quote]

This is a really good point, Prose.

However, Joey's argument is that there are 2 different sacraments going on. First the marriage, where he's ok with us being "center stage" and then the Eucharist, where he's not.

hmmm.

Also, thanks to the admin who changed my title. :)

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1694485' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:50 PM']This is a really good point, Prose.

However, Joey's argument is that there are 2 different sacraments going on. First the marriage, where he's ok with us being "center stage" and then the Eucharist, where he's not.

hmmm.

Also, thanks to the admin who changed my title. :)[/quote]

It's not like you guys will be up on the altar with the priest when he's doing the consecration and holding up the host. :huh:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1695576' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:49 AM']It's not like you guys will be up on the altar with the priest when he's doing the consecration and holding up the host. :huh:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
we hope not :hehe:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1695741' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:53 AM']+J.M.J.+
we hope not :hehe:[/quote]

Seriously. It's not old-school Lifeteen. :smokey: