An Old School Catholic Message Board

Flordia Amendment 2 Passed

TotusTuusMaria

One victory, at least.
I saw the results before bed last night, and the idiot-lady on the news this morning said that it failed to pass, which kinda knocked me through a loop upon hearing it.
There's one thing Herr Obama will not be able to legalize...at least in our state.

When would be a better time to deal with it? Why didn't people get things on ballots defining life from conception 30 years ago? Too much other stuff going on. I've lived through a couple of energy crisises, and several recessions. Think this is bad, I remember when house mortgages were over 18%. My mom had to be induced with me because my father had lost his job, and was losing his insurance a week after I was born. They wanted to give a week leeway because my mom was close to dying with me, and they wanted her to be able to stay in the hospital. There is always going to be a war or a crisis.

We have to deal with things promptly before people get used to things being a certain way, and then accept them as permanent, or that they can't do anything about them. How many Americans voted for Obama who were born after Roe vs. Wade, and know no other way of looking at abortion? They tried to bring gay marriage back to the table here in Canada 2 years ago, and didn't even give it a chance because everyone accepted it as settled. We need to learn to fight battles immediately. I remember in my military tactics class studying that the longer you allow an enemy to prepare for a battle, the more casualties you suffer. We may have lost the abortion battle in the US because we waited too long to bring out the big guns. When we lose a battle here, it makes it easier for other smaller countries to follow our lead. We have to fight every moral battle with all our energies from the beginning.

dominicansoul

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1694661' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:11 PM']When would be a better time to deal with it? Why didn't people get things on ballots defining life from conception 30 years ago? Too much other stuff going on. I've lived through a couple of energy crisises, and several recessions. Think this is bad, I remember when house mortgages were over 18%. My mom had to be induced with me because my father had lost his job, and was losing his insurance a week after I was born. They wanted to give a week leeway because my mom was close to dying with me, and they wanted her to be able to stay in the hospital. There is always going to be a war or a crisis.

We have to deal with things promptly before people get used to things being a certain way, and then accept them as permanent, or that they can't do anything about them. How many Americans voted for Obama who were born after Roe vs. Wade, and know no other way of looking at abortion? They tried to bring gay marriage back to the table here in Canada 2 years ago, and didn't even give it a chance because everyone accepted it as settled. We need to learn to fight battles immediately. I remember in my military tactics class studying that the longer you allow an enemy to prepare for a battle, the more casualties you suffer. We may have lost the abortion battle in the US because we waited too long to bring out the big guns. When we lose a battle here, it makes it easier for other smaller countries to follow our lead. We have to fight every moral battle with all our energies from the beginning.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1694661' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:11 PM']When would be a better time to deal with it? Why didn't people get things on ballots defining life from conception 30 years ago? Too much other stuff going on. I've lived through a couple of energy crisises, and several recessions. Think this is bad, I remember when house mortgages were over 18%. My mom had to be induced with me because my father had lost his job, and was losing his insurance a week after I was born. They wanted to give a week leeway because my mom was close to dying with me, and they wanted her to be able to stay in the hospital. There is always going to be a war or a crisis.

We have to deal with things promptly before people get used to things being a certain way, and then accept them as permanent, or that they can't do anything about them. How many Americans voted for Obama who were born after Roe vs. Wade, and know no other way of looking at abortion? They tried to bring gay marriage back to the table here in Canada 2 years ago, and didn't even give it a chance because everyone accepted it as settled. We need to learn to fight battles immediately. I remember in my military tactics class studying that the longer you allow an enemy to prepare for a battle, the more casualties you suffer. We may have lost the abortion battle in the US because we waited too long to bring out the big guns. When we lose a battle here, it makes it easier for other smaller countries to follow our lead. We have to fight every moral battle with all our energies from the beginning.[/quote]

Agreed. But my priorities are slightly different here. While abortion is certainly in the top 5, gay marriage doesn't break the top 10...may not even make the top 15.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Selah' post='1694762' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:06 PM']:D YAYNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^[/quote]

iawtc

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1695131' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:29 PM']Oddly enough, it does hit the top 5 of intrinsic evils.[/quote]

I disagree with it's placement on that list.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='kujo' post='1695128' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:28 PM']Agreed. But my priorities are slightly different here. While abortion is certainly in the top 5, gay marriage doesn't break the top 10...may not even make the top 15.[/quote]

For you perhaps, but for completely faithful Catholics it's a different story.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1694661' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:11 PM']When would be a better time to deal with it? Why didn't people get things on ballots defining life from conception 30 years ago? Too much other stuff going on. I've lived through a couple of energy crisises, and several recessions. Think this is bad, I remember when house mortgages were over 18%. My mom had to be induced with me because my father had lost his job, and was losing his insurance a week after I was born. They wanted to give a week leeway because my mom was close to dying with me, and they wanted her to be able to stay in the hospital. There is always going to be a war or a crisis.

:bigclap: ICE BURN!

KnightofChrist

[quote name='kujo' post='1695146' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:35 PM']And the insults and marginalizations begin...[/quote]

I'm afraid I was being as nice as I could be, you know full well Homosexual Unions are considered as one the top 5 of intrinsic evils, a non-negotiable.

I think you were being snide and sarcastic. It's a good thing I don't care what you say about me or else I'd be really hurt by it.

;) Pax.

Kujo, when we fail to stand up against things that are wrong, we are by our inaction saying that it is alright.

It to me a long time to understand this. You must not be ugly about it but you must stand against that which is wrong. And you must do it with love.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1695161' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:40 PM']I'm afraid I was being as nice as I could be, you know full well Homosexual Unions are considered as one the top 5 of intrinsic evils, a non-negotiable.[/quote]

I wonder why it would be one of the non-negotiable? :think: Marriage and unions [i]are[/i] the basic foundation and stability to future life and the continuation of society and future generations. :think:

+JMJ+