An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Mccain Concession Speech

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1694710' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:01 PM']I hope so too!

really?!?! i see Palin totally playing a big and good role in cleaning house for the republicans. She gives me hope for the future of the Republican party.[/quote]

To put it gently, if Palin were to be nominated for president in 2012, I'm fairly certain that she would bring about the destruction of the party. Right or wrong, she is perceived as a token, a political symbol devoid of any true substance. While I have stated many times that I agree with her pro-life stance and find her experiences with special-needs children admirable, I see her as lacking in anything resembling qualifications for the presidency. From the speeches and that I have seen on television and YouTube, she seems little more than a talking head reciting talking points.

Again, if she were to run, and that may or may not happen, the Republican party would be dead. Period.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='kujo' post='1695091' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:09 PM']To put it gently, if Palin were to be nominated for president in 2012, I'm fairly certain that she would bring about the destruction of the party. Right or wrong, she is perceived as a token, a political symbol devoid of any true substance. While I have stated many times that I agree with her pro-life stance and find her experiences with special-needs children admirable, I see her as lacking in anything resembling qualifications for the presidency. From the speeches and that I have seen on television and YouTube, she seems little more than a talking head reciting talking points.

Again, if she were to run, and that may or may not happen, the Republican party would be dead. Period.[/quote]

I think the McCain campaige tried to control her a lot. Of she were to get 4-8 more years of experience, add more substance to herself, would you consider her if she ran for the presidency?

Honestly, and this is based on the most juvenile of reasons....her voice annoys the cr@p out of me. I don't think I could listen to that for 4-8 years.

But seriously, no. I don't like her and I probably wouldn't support her, particularly if there were other, more appealing options.

Edited by kujo

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='kujo' post='1695091' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:09 PM']Again, if she were to run, and that may or may not happen, the Republican party would be dead. Period.[/quote]

This need not be considered an undesireable result.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='kujo' post='1695091' date='Nov 6 2008, 12:09 PM']Again, if she were to run, and that may or may not happen, the Republican party would be dead. Period.[/quote]
Palin actually rejuvenated a lot of the Republican Party. Don't underestimate just because she had to parrot McCain on the campaign trail. What she did in two years with Alaska is absolutely extraordinary. She was no token there, and won't be if she runs in 2012, which it sounds like she's already thinking about.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1695187' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:48 PM']I think the McCain campaige tried to control her a lot. Of she were to get 4-8 more years of experience, add more substance to herself, would you consider her if she ran for the presidency?[/quote]

No. She is now what she will be.

I think that she would be best served becoming a TV right talk show person, opposite Olbermann, for ex. She'd make a LOT of $$, which she could use, with her family, and have influence that way.

The GOP is going to move strongly to the center, I've been reading. McCain made a huge gamble selecting Palin, a mistake IMHO, and lost.

Catholics voted for O 54% to 45%. States like Colorado, where conservative Archbishop Chaput lives, voted for O, voted down an abortion ref by 70% voted in a Democratic senator.

[quote name='kujo' post='1694328' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:46 AM']I think Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert will carry the mantle well.

:)[/quote]

Ha!

I love them. it's almost enough for me to get cable!

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1694278' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:26 AM']I think that his campaign strategy hid his true personality. The man that gave that speech would have been a stronger candidate.[/quote]

Agreed. It was the old John McCain who spoke, the original one, before he swung right and adopted a lot of dirty tactics to try to win.

I predict that he will work well with Obama.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1695692' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:51 AM']Palin actually rejuvenated a lot of the Republican Party. Don't underestimate just because she had to parrot McCain on the campaign trail. What she did in two years with Alaska is absolutely extraordinary. She was no token there, and won't be if she runs in 2012, which it sounds like she's already thinking about.[/quote]

It seemed like she appealed to the "Christian right" more than anything else. But you could be right. Either way, I really don't like her.

[quote name='xyzv1' post='1695693' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:53 AM']No. She is now what she will be.

I think that she would be best served becoming a TV right talk show person, opposite Olbermann, for ex. She'd make a LOT of $$, which she could use, with her family, and have influence that way.

The GOP is going to move strongly to the center, I've been reading. McCain made a huge gamble selecting Palin, a mistake IMHO, and lost.

Catholics voted for O 54% to 45%. States like Colorado, where conservative Archbishop Chaput lives, voted for O, voted down an abortion ref by 70% voted in a Democratic senator.[/quote]
I'm curious about the demographics here. California always goes democrat, and they have a huge population of hispanics. If I understand it correctly, Colorado also has a very large hispanic population. I'd bet dollars to donuts these catholics went for Obama en masse. :mellow:

[quote name='xyzv1' post='1695693' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:53 AM']Catholics voted for O 54% to 45%. States like Colorado, where conservative Archbishop Chaput lives, voted for O, voted down an abortion ref by 70% voted in a Democratic senator.[/quote]
The 54/45 is sad and it's a national figure. Not a CO figure. Just clarifying.

In regards to CO, you need to find out what is the percentage of Catholics in the population in the large cities like Denver. In Denver, Catholics are only 13.58% of the population. Statewide, it's only 14.6%. That's 707,420 Catholics out of 4,861,515 people statewide.

Given that, I believe between 42-48% of CO Catholics vote for Obama. Total guess since I did not find an exit poll for CO with the question of religion affiliation. It's a sad number. Our Protestant friends gave McCain much more support. We have a large class of CINOs, Catholic In Name Only. I don't think they all knowingly made the wrong choice. Some were probably wrapped up in the generated euphoria around the Dear One. "I don't want to be left out." <_<

Saint Therese

JOhn McCain's presidential campaign was the most mismanaged and poorly run campaign that I've ever seen. And his speech wasn't that good either.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1695849' date='Nov 6 2008, 01:21 PM']I'm curious about the demographics here. California always goes democrat, and they have a huge population of hispanics. If I understand it correctly, Colorado also has a very large hispanic population. I'd bet dollars to donuts these catholics went for Obama en masse. :mellow:[/quote]

In my state, Hispanics went for Obama about 70%. Obama [b]won[/b] with the Hispanic vote.

My impression of Hispanics is that they are very independent in their thinking. Catholicism is incorporated culturally, mainly--baptism, marriage, death and Hispanic expressions of Christian holidays/ La Posada, el dia del muertos. They don't have abortions bec. it is not part of their culture, not bec. their religion forbids it, for example. Many come from Mexico, where anti-clericalism remains very strong.

I think that the economy explains this election. Not clear that O would have won without it; maybe, but it would have been much closer, mainly an electoral vote election--which is what O did earn (336 electoral votes), but also with a solid 6% lead in popular vote.

My understanding is that many leading lay Catholics and priests, Reese SJ for ex, broke with the conservative bishops of weighing effects of the social gospel vs. criminalizing abortion in their effectiveness in reducing the rate of abortions. The bishops that didn't speak out, by far the majority, appeared to lay low. Our conservative bishop didn't say anything.

[quote name='kujo' post='1695708' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:24 AM']It seemed like she appealed to the "Christian right" more than anything else. But you could be right. Either way, I really don't like her.[/quote]

Check out the following link on the New York Times website under "politics"

(yes, I know, the NYT was pro-O, but this article quotes many reliable sources).

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06mccain.html"]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06mccain.html[/url]

How could McCain choose someone he didn't know well?

As I understand it, McCain wanted his good friend Joe Lieberman or Gov. Ridge, but both are pro-choice. He needed a conservative, pro-lifer. Huckabee would have been a far better choice, I think.

Edited by jkaands