An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Mccain Concession Speech

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jkaands' post='1695941' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:49 PM']In my state, Hispanics went for Obama about 70%. Obama [b]won[/b] with the Hispanic vote.

My impression of Hispanics is that they are very independent in their thinking. Catholicism is incorporated culturally, mainly--baptism, marriage, death and Hispanic expressions of Christian holidays/ La Posada, el dia del muertos. They don't have abortions bec. it is not part of their culture, not bec. their religion forbids it, for example. Many come from Mexico, where anti-clericalism remains very strong.

I think that the economy explains this election. Not clear that O would have won without it; maybe, but it would have been much closer, mainly an electoral vote election--which is what O did earn (336 electoral votes), but also with a solid 6% lead in popular vote.

My understanding is that many leading lay Catholics and priests, Reese SJ for ex, broke with the conservative bishops of weighing effects of the social gospel vs. criminalizing abortion in their effectiveness in reducing the rate of abortions. The bishops that didn't speak out, by far the majority, appeared to lay low. Our conservative bishop didn't say anything.[/quote]
Thank you for proving my point. People say that this mass immigration of hispanics say is rejuvinating the Catholic Church. I politely disagree. They are Catholic in culture. Religion is disputable :(

Generally speaking, of course

Edited by notardillacid

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jkaands' post='1695956' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:06 PM']Check out the following link on the New York Times website under "politics"

(yes, I know, the NYT was pro-O, but this article quotes many reliable sources).

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06mccain.html"]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06mccain.html[/url]

How could McCain choose someone he didn't know well?

As I understand it, McCain wanted his good friend Joe Lieberman or Gov. Ridge, but both are pro-choice. He needed a conservative, pro-lifer. Huckabee would have been a far better choice, I think.[/quote]

Same result for McCain. Picking someone other than Palin would not have changed the final result. Right after the GOP convention, polls shot up for the GOP. A few weeks later they fell down again. The media smeared Palin and protected the :bow: ONE OBAMA. They would have done the same for anyone else probably.

People became disillusioned that Obama can do some real good for the economy and he was able to speak very well. That is why Obama won.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1696009' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:43 PM']Thank you for proving my point. People say that this mass immigration of hispanics say is rejuvinating the Catholic Church. I politely disagree. They are Catholic in culture. Religion is disputable :(

Generally speaking, of course[/quote]

Hispanics may rejuvenate it in other ways. What about seminarians? --not in proportion to their numbers, but I believe that there [i]are[/i] Hispanic seminarians in the US.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1696024' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:55 PM']Same result for McCain. Picking someone other than Palin would not have changed the final result. Right after the GOP convention, polls shot up for the GOP. A few weeks later they fell down again. The media smeared Palin and protected the :bow: ONE OBAMA. They would have done the same for anyone else probably.

People became disillusioned that Obama can do some real good for the economy and he was able to speak very well. That is why Obama won.[/quote]

Keep thinking that.

Seriously. The best thing for my side politically is if the hard core individuals such as yourself continue position yourselves as maligned victims whos political ambitions were thrown asunder by external forces beyond their control.

Your party has been roundly beaten over these past two major national elections, but all I see are cries to become more conservative and lamenting that evil mainstream media that for some reason always works against you.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1696942' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:28 PM']WHat about hard core individuals like yourself?[/quote]

We are winning at the moment. We are winning overwhelmingly.

We do need to continue to be introspective and responsive to changing events or we will in up in the mess your party is in. Ultimatly, however, I would prefer to have two healthy, inteligent, and responsive parties with core philosophical differences.

Saint Therese

So the Democrats are not experiencing financial crisis also? Only the Rep.s are in trouble?
I thought we were one country?

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1696951' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:35 PM']So the Democrats are not experiencing financial crisis also? Only the Rep.s are in trouble?
I thought we were one country?[/quote]

we are one country. I am talking about the democratic and republican parties.

Can you seriously say these last 4 years have been good for your party?

Two major national elections, two major "electoral smackdowns". You can eather continue to blame the "liberal media" and the sheepish nature of the American populace or you can adapt and become a viable party again. I hope you will choose the latter.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1696962' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:41 PM']We shall see.
O'bama isn't even sworn in yet.[/quote]

What do you mean, "we'll see"?

There is nothing to see. Your party just lost North Carolina.

Let me say that again, the REPUBLICAN party just lost NORTH CAROLINA.

This is, by the whay, while the least popular president in 70 years is a republican, and two years after the republicans were kicked out of congress.

Bush has set the bar so low Obama would have to try to be less popular than Bush. You party is in serious trouble. Rather than admit this and try and work out how the republican party will reconstitute itself you all just seem to want to be more conservative. You are now a white southern party. Hell, not even fully southern as you all lost Virginia and North Carolina. Your party has scared away Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, etc. The professional, educated class is overwhelmingly democratic, BANKERS are now more democratic than republican, as are economists, doctors, and lawyers.

Where is your party going to appeal to by being more conservative and reactionary? You are a white southern party, you have no where else to go. Are the Indian immigrants going to decide to join a white nativist party? I mean seriously.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1696998' date='Nov 7 2008, 05:05 PM']You keep saying "my party". How do you know what is "my party"?[/quote]

conservative republican.