An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ron Paul 2012

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Ok. I watched some Ron Paul videos, and here is what I think. I think he is right on some things, idealistic on others, and dead wrong on what's left.

He is right about the need to reduce government and the benefits that come with it for the people. He is right about the bailout bill not being the right answer, but is wrong about just letting everything flop and let good assets rise. There were many great alternative ideas, many floated at National Review and referenced sites. If the democrats had not fought reform, maybe there would have been time to debate and implement some of those ideas. After watching Ronald Reagan's 1964 address to the GOP convention, I don't think the Gipper would have signed the bailout bill.

His idea of eliminating the IRS sounds nice, but what replaces it? The government needs to raise money, and I don't it would survive on current non-income taxes.

His weakest area is in foreign policy. His attitude of "I don't care what happens beyond America's borders" is dangerous. He says it has nothing to do with our domestic security. Peace is everyone's business. We want peace by non-violence, but sometimes subduing evil requires a gun. St. Michael the Archangel is not extending a hand of peace to Satan's demons.

Lastly, his association with the 9/11 truthers is sick. No, Ron. There are no conspiracies surrounding 9/11. It's exactly what we all witnessed it to be.

Edited by kamiller42

[quote name='Winchester' post='1696271' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:43 PM']Ron Paul is an idealist. Wonderful. I would have been so happy if no money had been approved for Ike relief in my area. The run volume in our city more than doubled. Where would the OT have come from, if not the Fed? Reality, not a nice idea, is what really runs the country.

Oh, and isolastionism got us Nazis.[/quote]
...not the Treaty of Versailles :mellow:

[quote name='Winchester' post='1696271' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:43 PM']Ron Paul is an idealist. Wonderful. I would have been so happy if no money had been approved for Ike relief in my area. The run volume in our city more than doubled. Where would the OT have come from, if not the Fed? Reality, not a nice idea, is what really runs the country.

Oh, and isolastionism got us Nazis.[/quote]
I live in Ron Paul's district. The only votes he got on Tuesday were from people that voted straight Republican ticket. My dog could have run against him and won.

[url="http://pawatercooler.com/?p=5048"]http://pawatercooler.com/?p=5048[/url]

We need to find someone and go all out for this ticket. What does anyone think of Santorum or Hart?????

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1696288' date='Nov 7 2008, 12:58 PM']I was never under the impression that Paul was a strict isolationist. I agreed with him about the Iraq war. But I've gotten in one debate with someone about that already and too lazy to get into another one, at least this week. ;)[/quote]
What Paul supporters do is they twist the definition of the word "isolationist" to mean trade. The truth is when people refer to Paul as an "isolationist" it never had anything to do with trade. Isolationism is the idea that unless a country actually attacks a US State(or maybe a territory) we have no right whatsoever to go to war with it. It's a ridiculous idea that let Hitler grow in power before we finally got involved in World War II. More Americans died than necessary in that war, and it's just idiotic to advocate it today as Paul does.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Justin86' post='1696597' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:04 AM']What Paul supporters do is they twist the definition of the word "isolationist" to mean trade. The truth is when people refer to Paul as an "isolationist" it never had anything to do with trade. Isolationism is the idea that unless a country actually attacks a US State(or maybe a territory) we have no right whatsoever to go to war with it. It's a ridiculous idea that let Hitler grow in power before we finally got involved in World War II. More Americans died than necessary in that war, and it's just idiotic to advocate it today as Paul does.[/quote]

I view the situation with Hitler to be different than the situation in Iraq. My honest concern, in this day and age, is to what point can the U.S. play global cop and stretch our military and resources. I *twitch* just sounded like John Kerry. *twitch* Sorry.

Overall, now that I really think about it, I guess it's kind of silly to speculate who should run for president now when we have four years of Obama to sit through and a lot can change in 3-4 years.

[img]http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/mushroom_cloud.jpg[/img]

Edited by Ash Wednesday