An Old School Catholic Message Board

Black Pope Could Follow Barack Obama's Election, Says Us Archbisho

Fidei Defensor

I just couldn't see the significance of the year 2012. Although I suppose it is only 4 years away.

Edited by Noel's angel

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1696058' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:34 PM']I just couldn't see the significance of the year 2012. Although I suppose it is only 4 years away.[/quote]
oh sorry :)

Yeah he turns 80 in 2012.

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1695714' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:33 AM']Er, for the record, while I agree Cardinal Arinze is flippin' awesome, why is everyone so hyped for a black Pope the same as there is a black president?[/quote]

I like Arinze a lot also. Yet all of us have to remember, God is the one that chooses the pope. Black ,white or green, God has the final vote. Anything less then that,would be just a vote from our own human thinking, and we all know what happens when we leave God out. If the votes don't all match, it 'ain't happenin'. Read; Pope fiction. Its good!.......... But I really like the man,none the less.....lets just enjoy the wonderful Pope that we have right now!

And "flippin'" is something you do in a pool not on a Cardinal. ;)

Edited by jckinsman

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1696077' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:00 PM']I like Arinze a lot also. Yet all of us have to remember, God is the one that chooses the pope. Black ,white or green, God has the final vote. Anything less then that,would be just a vote from our own human thinking[/quote]

I could be wrong in saying this... but I'm pretty darn sure that just because the Cardinals elect the pope in the conclave... doesn't mean that the pope they elect is the one that God necessarily wanted. Surely it is the pope that God permitted... but just as President Obama's election happened... just because it happened doesn't mean it was God's will.

God doesn't get the last vote on the pope, he sure has a lot of say and uses the Holy Spirit to influence the Cardinals discernment and votes, but that doesn't make it necessarily the pope that God had desired.

I just remember the line from "All in th eFamily" where Archie says something about how we can't have a black President yet because it hasn't been tried out with a black Pope first.

BTW, just because a Pope was from Africa doesn't mean he was black; he could have been from the Mediterranean coast and not sub-Saharan Africa.

eagle_eye222001

I think we need to have an alien pope from Mars.:D

You know, one of those stereotypical martian men with green bodies and giant heads with black eyes.

Edited by eagle_eye222001

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1695702' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:15 AM'][url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5097668.ece"]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/f...icle5097668.ece[/url]

The election of Barack Obama as the first African-American US President could pave the way for the election of the first black Pope, according to a leading black American Catholic.

Wilton Daniel Gregory, 60, the Archbishop of Atlanta, said that in the past Pope Benedict XVI had himself suggested that the election of a black pontiff would "send a splendid signal to the world" about the universal Church.

Archbishop Gregory, who in 2001 became the first African American to head the US Bishops Conference, serving for three years, said that the election of Mr Obama was "a great step forward for humanity and a sign that in the United States the problem of racial discrimination has been overcome". Like Mr Obama Archbishop Gregory comes from Chicago, and was previously Bishop of Belleville, Illinois.

He said that recent Popes, beginning with John XXIII and Paul VI, had brought prelates "from all nations and races" to Rome to take up senior positions in the Curia, the Vatican hierarchy. This offered "an international vision of a Church rich in diversity", he told the Italian newspaper La Stampa.

Pope Benedict — whose next encyclical is on globalisation and social justice — had a "world outlook" as a theologian whose thought had "opened hearts and minds on five continents", Archbishop Gregory said. The former Joseph Ratzinger, who as a young man in his native Germany had witnessed "the horrors of the Second World War", spoke a "universal language".

Archbishop Gregory said that the next time cardinals gathered to elect a Pope they could "in their wisdom" choose an African pontiff. "My own election as head of the US Bishops Conference was an important signal. In 2001 the American bishops elected someone they respected regardless of his race, and the same thing could happen with the election of a Pope."

He said that in a papal conclave, the cardinal-electors were "guided by the Holy Spirit to choose the person who best responds to the exigences of the moment". At the last conclave in 2005, after the death of John Paul II, it was widely thought that the cardinals would choose a Third World pontiff, perhaps from Africa or Latin America.

The choice of Cardinal Ratzinger, who had been at John Paul II's side for over twenty years as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was seen by many as a vote for a man who embodied continuity and had stressed the need to shore up the faith in the West itself in an age of secularism and materialism.

This week Pope Benedict XVI congratulated Mr Obama on his "historic" victory, offering his prayers for the President-elect "and for all the people of the United States".

Father Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, said that the Pope's message was "personal" and would therefore not be published. However he said that the papal message referred to the "historic occasion" of the election and congratulated Mr Obama, his wife and family.

"He assured him of his prayers that God would help him with his high responsibilities for his country and for the international community," Father Lombardi said. The Pope had also prayed that "the blessing of God would sustain him and the American people so that with all people of good will they could build a world of peace, solidarity and justice." The message was sent via Mary Ann Glendon, the US ambassador to the Holy See.[/quote]
Is this an attempt to be insulting? :wacko:

[quote name='Slappo' post='1696100' date='Nov 6 2008, 06:41 PM']I could be wrong in saying this... but I'm pretty darn sure that just because the Cardinals elect the pope in the conclave... doesn't mean that the pope they elect is the one that God necessarily wanted. Surely it is the pope that God permitted... but just as President Obama's election happened... just because it happened doesn't mean it was God's will.

God doesn't get the last vote on the pope, he sure has a lot of say and uses the Holy Spirit to influence the Cardinals discernment and votes, but that doesn't make it necessarily the pope that God had desired.[/quote]
What we are saying is the same thing. I'm just expessing it different. Done properly,God does choose the next pope.Matching so many cardinals names up to get majority of one requires alot of prayer.Yet,unlike us having some canidates to choose from and listening to them banter for months about what they think and why they think it. The Cardinals go into it (HOPEFULLY,FOR THEIR SAKES) with a clean slate and no pretences. There has been instances that the wrong one was chosen we will never know why and what happened but if you read the book "pope fiction" the whole process is amazing.
[url="http://www.catholic-pages.com/pope/election.asp"]http://www.catholic-pages.com/pope/election.asp[/url]

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1696576' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:45 AM']we need a black pope
bad
im sick of hearing people say the catholic church is a all white racist church[/quote]

It would be inaccurate to call the Catholic Church white.

So I guess these people want God to establish affirmative action in choosing a pope?

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1696607' date='Nov 7 2008, 07:34 AM']The "race" of the pope is irrelevant to me.[/quote]

I agree. People don't choose the Pope.

HisChildForever

There's no reason to get worked up over someone's skin color. I paid it no attention during the elections, but now it's everywhere so it's pretty hard to ignore. Aren't we supposed to move away from race and caring about skin differences, not towards it?

The good thing about electing a black man president is that now no one can say America is a racist country. We elected a black man our leader. An inexperienced and under qualified black man too. Could a fundamentally racist society do that? No way. He is the proof in our pudding so to speak.

I guess if the Church had a black pope, Catholics could do the same thing. See our Non-Caucasian leader? Not racist!

Although haters will always find a way. Already I've heard that Obama's election just proves Americans are racist, since they only picked him because he "acts white," while all the candidates who "act black" are always long shots.