An Old School Catholic Message Board

Southern Baptist Wanting To Be Catholic...

Proud2BCatholic139

Proud2BCatholic139

+JMJ+

Hey Phamily,

Long story short...my friend Brandon and I were at Starbucks this morning just hanging out...He looks me square in the eye and says, "I want to be Catholic." I replied, "Brandon, are you serious?" He said, "I am serious, I want to be Catholic. If a lot are like you, then I want to be Catholic."

It was really weird...In the most awesome way.

Brandon is the type, when I first met him...he approached me last January 2008. We were at school and we just randomly started talking. Once he found out I was Catholic, he questioned me and asked..."You are Catholic?" (Like, in a way in disgust.) I said, "Yes, I am. Do you have a problem with that?" He said..."No."

Then, on my facebook, I had a picture of St. Gemma Galgani. I ran into him at school in Feb. of 2008. He asked me who that person in the picture was...he actually sat down and listened to me, but in the end just made fun of me...lol.

We kind of went our seperate ways until August 2008. We started to e-mail each other back and forth. When school started, I saw him after class...he walked by and I looked at him as if a girl would see her secret crush walking down the hall in high school...everything was in slow motion and my whole world stopped...when he walked by the fast forward button was pushed. Since then, I'd see him everywhere. I prayed about it and I felt as if the Lord was in the works with this one...I just had to trust and wait...

One day, about a month and a half ago, he called me on the phone and we had a good chat...still the same Brandon I know, but it was apparent that God wanted me to go on a mission....lol.

So, one day, randomly, in October we met up at Starbucks. We were there for 5 hours just talking then ended up hanging out at Wal-Mart. Brandon is more of a party person who likes to drink and so forth...but, even though he was making fun of me for my morals and my faith...he still wanted to hang out.

Since mid-october we just kept on hanging out, and I noticed a good change in him and he keeps asking about the Catholic faith. One day he randomly asked me if I can take him to Mass with me. I was in such a shock. Knowing Brandon...I nearly died. Then, he tells me he is Southern Baptist. lol.

Then, the topics he is most interested in is the Rosary and Confession. He asked me how to pray the Rosary and asked me some questions about Confession...Then he as said to me a couple of times, "Man, I should be Catholic...sounds cool." Stuff like that...but today just him looking at me and says, "I want to be Catholic" It was so cool.

Here are some pictures of Brandon. PLEASE keep him in your prayers. He is doing very well and Our Lady has been bugging me...Thank you phriends!

Edited by Proud2BCatholic139

Ash Wednesday

Was curious about your passage about the hallway crush... :deal: but I'm just a nosey newlywed lovebird.
Many rejoices about his interest and decision!!!

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[b]Proud2B[/b], I am happy for you, and will definately pray for Brandon on your behalf.

Brandon is blessed to have a friend like you in his life, may you continue to be a witness of the Catholic faith, and that God will give you the words to say whenever you need them most. :)

I just noticed, that guy is built like me... stick thin. :lol:

Edited by Paladin D

Proud2BCatholic139

Thanks...I can't take all the credit...
God is so good.
Anyway, what the most awesome part is, I did not impose anything. I was just myself, but I know God has HUGE plans for Brandon. The way, he talks, spiritually, one would think he is Catholic. But, he is not really a practicing Southern Baptist.

I can not count my chickens before they hatch.

I just find it so weird...but, oh, well.

Keep the prayers coming...I'll keep you informed!:-)

Sometimes our best evangelization is just presence. People see us, how we can be content and seem to have something they don't have, and they want it too.

I have made rosaries for a surprising number of Protestants. They can feel the power in them even if they don't believe yet. Get him one, and say it with him. Put it in her hands, and he'll be in RCIA before you know it. Of the 6 seminarians in my pastoral theology class, 3 are converts. One's father is a UCC minister. All said they started by saying the rosary.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1697624' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:05 AM']But, he is not really a practicing Southern Baptist.[/quote]

Apparently not, given that he likes a good drink. :lol_roll:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1697760' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:53 PM']Apparently not, given that he likes a good drink. :lol_roll:[/quote]
:lol: One of many reasons I wasn't a good Southern Baptist, either.

Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1697760' date='Nov 8 2008, 01:53 PM']Apparently not, given that he likes a good drink. :lol_roll:[/quote]

I'm from Minnesota...I don't get it. :P: