An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Thought That Order Was For You, But It Isn't ....?

water

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1711650' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:15 PM']Totally almost entered the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara :)

I still love them, and their charism. But, as PP said... what? three years ago? "My little sister is under the unfortunate delusion that she simply [i]must[/i] be a Dominican." And when I least suspected it... WHAM. Vocation. And Dominican it was. :)[/quote]

Two years. And a bit. My little boy hadn't been born yet, and we went and abandoned him!

I still remember that trip. And the Benedictine nuns and monks we met. And how we all [b]howled[/b] with laughter.

Errrr, in order to stay on-topic: I dabbled with the Dominicans for a bit, but St. Benedict called shotgun on me way back in the 6th century and he sure as honeybees isn't letting go of me now. Sorry - I guess I'm pretty boring :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1711657' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:27 PM']Two years. And a bit. My little boy hadn't been born yet, and we went and abandoned him!

I still remember that trip. And the Benedictine nuns and monks we met. And how we all [b]howled[/b] with laughter.

Errrr, in order to stay on-topic: I dabbled with the Dominicans for a bit, but St. Benedict called shotgun on me way back in the 6th century and he sure as honeybees isn't letting go of me now. Sorry - I guess I'm pretty boring :)[/quote]

Oh yes, I remember, we considered throwing him in the river to warrant an emergency baptism.

Two years. Seems very short now :)

And you're not boring. Although I still think you should dip your toe in Salesian spirituality for a few days. :)

I have been in two different Orders of enclosed contemplative communities in my lifetime - once in my teens and another in my forties. Both times I thought I had at last 'arrived' with great joy and rejoicing............and on later making my decision to leave and then actually leaving, I certainly had no sense whatsoever of failing or failure - rather of again journeying to seek God's Will for me and my life and leaving behind and certainly in the case of the Order in my forties - with some sadness - to seek God's Will. My sadness was not due to a sense of failure, rather that I was not called to that community and their particular understanding and expression of the enclosed contemplative life.
Barb :detective:

• 2 weeks later...
moon_child_anne

This totally happened to me as well. I spent three years discerning with the SNDdeN only to come to a point where I felt like I was knocking my head against the wall. I didn't realise then what I know now...and I am sooo blessed that their vocation director wouldn't let me go any further than pre-affiliation there because I would have never given a second look at the community that I am currently with.

I am so happy where I am.

Peace,
Anne

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1720455' date='Dec 5 2008, 07:15 PM']This totally happened to me as well. I spent three years discerning with the SNDdeN only to come to a point where I felt like I was knocking my head against the wall. I didn't realise then what I know now...and I am sooo blessed that their vocation director wouldn't let me go any further than pre-affiliation there because I would have never given a second look at the community that I am currently with.

I am so happy where I am.

Peace,
Anne[/quote]

Which order are you with now if I may ask? Beautiful name, BTW :D It's my confirmation name and saint.

moon_child_anne

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1720462' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:49 PM']Which order are you with now if I may ask? Beautiful name, BTW :D It's my confirmation name and saint.[/quote]

I'm with the Sisters of Notre Dame (different than the SNDdeN).
BTW, St Anne was also my confirmation saint. My baptismal name is Alyson.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1721075' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:18 PM']I'm with the Sisters of Notre Dame (different than the SNDdeN).
BTW, St Anne was also my confirmation saint. My baptismal name is Alyson.[/quote]

Wow, there's a beautiful prayer on their website for discernment:

[b][i]Discernment Prayer

Walk with me, good and loving God, as I journey through life.
May I take your hand and be led by your Holy Spirit.
Fill me, inspire me, free me to respond generously to your call.
For I believe you desire my deepest joy,
and it is only in your company
that my soul will be satisfied
and my life will find its meaning and purpose.
Amen.[/i][/b]

I choose St. Anne strictly because I knew her feast day fell on my birthday, July 26th. I love her very much, but I wish I had chosen St. Therese instead. My aunt/godmother said she felt the same way. Her confirmation name is Bernadette and she wishes she had chosen Therese, too. :)

moon_child_anne

I really like St Therese too. Actually, if I were able to choose a religious name, I'd choose Sister Mary Anne Therese, or Sister Mary Anne Julia (or Julie). St Julie is my patron saint...I wasn't named for a saint (which I wished that I was), so I decided to choose my own saint. St Julie Billiart was the foundress of the SNDdeN and the spiritual foundress of the SND Sisters. I love her story dearly...it's how I first got interested in Religious Life.

There's another good discernment prayer by Thomas Merton. I don't remember the name of it right now...

Peace,
Anne, PND

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1721181' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:21 PM']I really like St Therese too. Actually, if I were able to choose a religious name, I'd choose Sister Mary Anne Therese, or Sister Mary Anne Julia (or Julie). St Julie is my patron saint...I wasn't named for a saint (which I wished that I was), so I decided to choose my own saint. St Julie Billiart was the foundress of the SNDdeN and the spiritual foundress of the SND Sisters. I love her story dearly...it's how I first got interested in Religious Life.

There's another good discernment prayer by Thomas Merton. I don't remember the name of it right now...

Peace,
Anne, PND[/quote]

Ok......that is just freaky! The first name that I thought of when I was thinking about religious names was Sr. Mary Anne Therese of the Sacred Heart! I wasn't named for a saint either, so I choose St. Therese of the Child Jesus. I also love Padre Pio, St. Francis, and St. Clare. I love this name now:

Sr. Marie-Therese of the Most Holy Eucharist

I also love this name, and if I was to join the Franciscans, I would use it:

Sr. Mary Clara Therese of the Most Holy Eucharist (or Holy Family)

The prayer you are thinking of probably starts with:

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going..."

• 2 weeks later...
DiscerningSoul

I have closed a chapter in my discement with one community but you know what they say, where God close's one door he opens another.

:saint:

foolishmortal

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1709570' date='Nov 24 2008, 12:26 PM']LOL, I'll tell you, this discernment thing is not easy at all! I thought I was so sure, but I think I was wrong! I am so moved by the CFRs that I would consider it a blessing and privilege to join the Sisters. Their ministry is amazing and I love the fact that they are both active and contemplative. I was planning to visit the Brooklyn Carmelite monastery this next year, and I think I will visit the CFR sisters as well since the Bronx is close by. Hopefully, I will get clarity somehow. I also plan to go to Mass this week as well as Adoration. I think I have a Carmelite heart, but a Franciscan soul and vocation, LOL.[/quote]

I didn't know the Council on Foreign Relations has sisters (laughing)

My favorite saints have been Franciscans, but I've heard of these Augustinians whose charism is listening. I wonder... It's hard, because I like nature and reading the "Flowers of St. Francis". It's good to know one, like Fr. Groeschel can feel like one kind of religious, while fitting into another. Can you still be more into another orders' saints while being of another order?

• 9 months later...
InHisLove726

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' date='13 November 2008 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1226588062' post='1700562']
Oh, yeah, definitely has happened to me too. I thought for a long time that I was called to the same order my friend is joining--the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in St. Louis, MO. I went to meet her at their vocation retreat this year, and though I loved it, I did not feel like it was where I was going to end up. I prayed to God because I was concerned that I did not have a calling at all, but I was wrong. I did have a calling! It was just to the cloistered, contemplative life of the Discalced Carmelite nuns! I knew that being a Carmelite was where I was called because that was the only part that felt right to me.

I am looking at mostly traditional orders within the OCD order:

Buffalo, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Iron Mountain, MI
San Francisco, CA
Arlington, TX
[/quote]

It's funny how my story has become a circle. After discerning for a while with a different province of the Carmel DCJ, I am back to discerning with OCD orders. And look who is on the top of the list of people I was planning to contact. :rolleyes:

Edited by InHisLove726

laetitia crucis

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='08 October 2009 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1255023826' post='1980978']
It's funny how my story has become a circle. After discerning for a while with a different province of the Carmel DCJ, I am back to discerning with OCD orders. And look who is on the top of the list of people I was planning to contact. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I must say, I totally know what you mean... God's funny, isn't He? ;)

The only Order I have really considered was the Benedictines. I first went to asn active community, StPeter's in Saskatchewan. I loved the place and community but becan to wonder a few things as time went by. First I wondeed if i would really be wanted there as part of the community. I had to realise that I had to take the community as it was and not as I wanted it to be. third i had to ask myself if I wantted to be in an active or contemplative community. So I kept looking. I ended up joining a community that I initially hadnt even considered ask I didnt think theyd want an old fluffy air extraction like me :)