An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Scholastica

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

A letter from our lovely Swedish friend arrived for me today :)

As some may remember, she entered Heliga Hjärtas Kloster (Monastery of the Sacred Heart) in Borghamn a few months ago. She is healthy and happy and enjoys her new life - although yes, she has difficulties. Apparently obedience and acedia are the toughest little b****rs to deal with!

I'm sure she would appreciate your prayers. I'll be writing to her soon, so if you'd like me to pass anything on to her, just get in touch :)

"Apparently obedience and acedia are the toughest little b****rs to deal with!"

LOL

Not just in religious life, either!

I'll keep her in my prayers!

puellapaschalis
:lol_roll:

I should note that I haven't directly cited her at all in my original post. So the, ah, appropriateness of certain words should be attributed to me, not her :)

+PAX

My prayers are with her. Please let her know that I will offer a Holy Mass for her and her community. I am sure it is really difficult in the beginning, but luckily, she has a whole world praying for her. I'm glad you shared a little bit about her struggles, and I hope she will find peace in knowing she is cared for and prayed for.

Katherine

puellapaschalis

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1724388' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:25 PM']+PAX

My prayers are with her. Please let her know that I will offer a Holy Mass for her and her community. I am sure it is really difficult in the beginning, but luckily, she has a whole world praying for her. I'm glad you shared a little bit about her struggles, and I hope she will find peace in knowing she is cared for and prayed for.

Katherine[/quote]

Will do! I'm sure that she and her sisters will be very thankful to you for your gift!

• 6 months later...

I know that one of the two postulants of the Heliga Hjärtas Kloster was invested as a novice recently, like 2-3 weeks ago or so. I think it is Future Scholastica. I got a little mixed up with the names, can`t quite remember if it was Petra or Miriam she got as a name... From what I heard, the other postulant will be invested soon as well.
But maybe somebody else has better information ;)

dominicansoul

always happy to hear about young ladies who leave this world and are ECSTATIC they did it!

(and, despite all the difficulties of religious life... that happiness can't be diminished!)

the lords sheep

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1724104' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:17 PM']Apparently obedience and acedia are the toughest little b****rs to deal with![/quote]

Please excuse my ignorance, but.....What's acedia???

she_who_is_not

As I understand it, acedia is sort of a monastic malaise or depression (in the general, not clinical sense). Sometimes it presents mentally and sometimes physically.

The counterpart would be apatheia?

I've only encountered very vague descriptions of this state and assume it would be highly individualized to each soul.

Accedie can be translated as "listlessness" or "sloth", though strictly speaking listlessness is not the same as sloth. You can translate it as "Apathy" as well but one must be careful to differentiate it from "Apatheia", or Detatchment, which is very much not the same thing.

[quote name='littlesister' post='1902749' date='Jun 27 2009, 01:43 PM']Staretz, welcome back![/quote]

What a nice surprise! Thought you had some restrictions on internet use?