An Old School Catholic Message Board

"don't You Want To Be A Priest?"

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

moon_child_anne mentioned a game where the winner would be "pope" (in the game, that is, not for real, although we don't know what really goes on at the conclave, do we?). Which gave me an opportunity to tell the world that I'd [i]never[/i] want to be Pope. I don't think I would want that if I were male, either.

But that made me think of a question I get [i]all the time[/i], from non-Catholics mostly: "Don't you [i]really[/i] want to be a priest?"

Well, no. Not even "if women were allowed". I think the priesthood is the awesomest state in the universe, because Christ works through you in the most direct way possible. But it's not my vocation.

(I won't go into how insulting it is when you tell people you're going to do X, and they automatically assume it's because you secretly want Y.)

So, other girls, do you get that question?

And I'd be interested to hear the POV from cooperator brothers etc., but I don't believe we have them around, do we?

I have gotten that several times. I usually respond that I might have liked being an astronaut too, but that wasn't what God intended for me, so I don't get twisted in knots about it. Life's to short to focus on what we can't do, or can't have. I try to focus on what I can be, on what I can do.

I'm with you though, I wouldn't want to be the Pope. I can't even imagine the kind of ulcers they must get.

the lords sheep

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1727053' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:21 PM']I have gotten that several times. I usually respond that I might have liked being an astronaut too, but that wasn't what God intended for me, so I don't get twisted in knots about it.[/quote]

:lol_roll: Very true! I usually respond that it's not my calling, and that I agree with the Magisterium of the Church that it is also not the calling of women.

I, likewise would want the job of a bishop or cardinal or the Pope. I'm pretty certain there's no one who truly understands what that vocation and responsibility is that still seeks the job for themselves. I've read that some priests just know that God is asking it of them, but they still don't seek it (and many still don't even want it) because of the responsibility entailed.

puellapaschalis

I try to make the distinction between it "not being my vocation" (which can also be said of being nurse, for example) and my not being physically able to do it, or that I'm literally not made for it.

I work for the military and people always ask why don't I sign-up and become a chaplain. I usually explain that my vocation lies in teaching the Faith within a religious community, and not in the military. Plus I wouldn't be able to confer the Sacraments the way a Padre could, so I wouldn't be a significant help spiritually.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1727091' date='Dec 13 2008, 09:16 PM']I try to make the distinction between it "not being my vocation" (which can also be said of being nurse, for example) and my not being physically able to do it, or that I'm literally not made for it.[/quote]

Nod, nod!

puellapaschalis

Oh my, grammar fail. Why do I seem to go around thinking that I can do without my indefinite articles?!

Indefinite articles, I love you. I'm sorry. Even though loads of other languages have abandoned you, I never will.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1727143' date='Dec 13 2008, 04:26 PM']Oh my, grammar fail. Why do I seem to go around thinking that I can do without my indefinite articles?!

Indefinite articles, I love you. I'm sorry. Even though loads of other languages have abandoned you, I never will.[/quote]

No opinion worthy of note on the original topic, but - as a grammarian through and through, myself - I smile, swoon, and thrill to your comment above. My eyes are fluttering and my heart is beating fast. Bless you, child!

My boss walked in one time when I was praying Evening Prayer on my break. She looked curious and asked what I was doing, so I explained that I was praying Liturgy of the Hours, and that it's a prayer of the Church that priests often pray. She said "Do you want to be a priest? Oh, I guess that's not an option for you... [u]right now[/u]." :rolleyes: I just said "no, it's not" and left it at that.

I go to a women's college and my classmates may be surprised that I wrote an essay in high school about why women should not be priests. :lol_roll:

I'm a Temporary-Professed member of a Third Order - I get "but don't you [i]really[/i] want to be a nun?" a lot.

No, I don't. It's a beautiful vocation, but not mine.

the lords sheep

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1727999' date='Dec 15 2008, 05:46 AM']I really want to be a nun.[/quote]
:))

Edited by the lords sheep

Thomist-in-Training

I am also a puella.
When I was briefly considering majoring in Theo, I told a few people when they asked in conversation what I was studying. Twice I got, "Ah!, going to be a minister?" Uh... NO.

Really bad memory (now) from third grade. I remember this distinctly. Chicago suburb, "Catholic" school.
"Teacher, has there ever been a woman Pope?" --little Thomist
"No! Maybe you'll be the first one."

No one ever explained to me why this didn't make sense--never! In high school somehow tolerance madness seeped into my skin, maybe from reading too many newspapers, and while unlike many of my classmates I didn't think gay marriage was a good idea, I remembered that no one had ever told me why women shouldn't be priests. I thought of it as an equality thing (cringing memories here). It wasn't like [i]I[/i] wanted to be a priestess, I just wanted someone to tell me why, using reason. Finally my secondtolast semester a teacher explained it clearly and perfectly settled the question. Can't believe how long that took though... *shudders*