An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody Want To Give Me A Hand?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I started working on this list quite awhile ago and I got quite a bit of information in it. I have all sorts of contact information along with a name for a Superior or Vocation Directress. I know I am far from completing this list, but I thought I would offer it to you all to see if you would like to help update and add information to it. It is Google Document right now and here is a link: [url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pAq-8G7w0U_AuGPvfFShDJg"]Women's Contemplative Communities[/url]. If you would like to have access to edit it, please send a PM with an e-mail address. Thanks everyone for anything you do!

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1730294' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:56 AM']I started working on this list quite awhile ago and I got quite a bit of information in it. I have all sorts of contact information along with a name for a Superior or Vocation Directress. I know I am far from completing this list, but I thought I would offer it to you all to see if you would like to help update and add information to it. It is Google Document right now and here is a link: [url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pAq-8G7w0U_AuGPvfFShDJg"]Women's Contemplative Communities[/url]. If you would like to have access to edit it, please send a PM with an e-mail address. Thanks everyone for anything you do![/quote]
you could include the Monastic SISTERS of Bethlehem and the Assumption and St. Bruno
Our Lady of Lourdes Camp Road
Livingston Manor, NY 12758 -2758
USA
and of course some Carmelites..
PAX

Edited by EJames2

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1730294' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:56 AM']I started working on this list quite awhile ago and I got quite a bit of information in it. I have all sorts of contact information along with a name for a Superior or Vocation Directress. I know I am far from completing this list, but I thought I would offer it to you all to see if you would like to help update and add information to it. It is Google Document right now and here is a link: [url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pAq-8G7w0U_AuGPvfFShDJg"]Women's Contemplative Communities[/url]. If you would like to have access to edit it, please send a PM with an e-mail address. Thanks everyone for anything you do![/quote]

Here's my website: [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/[/url] Look under "the cloisters" and then "American cloisters," then "women's communities"

A few corrections to your list:

Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood--Lafayette IN--closed a couple of years ago

Cistercians (O.Cist) -- Sr. M. Aleydis is the voc dir now

PCC -- Newport News are the same as those in Barhamsville

Contemplatives/Good Shepherd--more monasteries than the two listed Will need to ask about it

3 or 4 more Nuns of PA--they're on my website

Dominicans-- Blue Chapel closed this past year; DC monastery moved to Linden; there's a new monastery in Delaware

HTH

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='toservelove' post='1730367' date='Dec 17 2008, 02:44 PM']The Domican Monastery of the Blessed Sacrament current vocation director is Sr. Mary Peter, the Prioress is Sr. Mary Thomas.[/quote]

Cloister Outreach supported Sr. Mary Peter before she left the world.

Totally useless trivia there.

Blessings,
Gemma

Oh, wow! Gemma, this is so cool and amazing. I have an idea (as if this isn't complicated enough!). Do you think you could add a column regarding age restrictions and also habit or not? Like I really want to wear the wimple when I join and the more I look around, the less I see of the wimple and many communities consider their habit to be "FULL" even though they don't have the wimple! Also, even though I am still an acceptable age for most communities (I think) I know that is a problem/concern for many here. What a cool and fantastic resource! THANK YOU! This is so great for those of us searching for where we belong, especially for us "newbies" that don't really know what we are doing.

Katherine

Oh, wow! Gemma, this is so cool and amazing. I have an idea (as if this isn't complicated enough!). Do you think you could add a column regarding age restrictions and also habit or not? Like I really want to wear the wimple when I join and the more I look around, the less I see of the wimple and many communities consider their habit to be "FULL" even though they don't have the wimple! Also, even though I am still an acceptable age for most communities (I think) I know that is a problem/concern for many here. What a cool and fantastic resource! THANK YOU! This is so great for those of us searching for where we belong, especially for us "newbies" that don't really know what we are doing.

Katherine

Katherine

Yikes, I made a mistake and posted this three times...is there any way somebody can delete the other two? Sorry about this. I guess I got carried away! I'm a little daft in using this system. (Obviously)

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1730469' date='Dec 17 2008, 03:58 PM']Oh, wow! Gemma, this is so cool and amazing. I have an idea (as if this isn't complicated enough!). Do you think you could add a column regarding age restrictions and also habit or not? Like I really want to wear the wimple when I join and the more I look around, the less I see of the wimple and many communities consider their habit to be "FULL" even though they don't have the wimple! Also, even though I am still an acceptable age for most communities (I think) I know that is a problem/concern for many here. What a cool and fantastic resource! THANK YOU! This is so great for those of us searching for where we belong, especially for us "newbies" that don't really know what we are doing.

Katherine[/quote]

All the cloisters we represent wear the habit.

Wimple--hummm.

Most of the Bens--and they don't have much of an age limit.

Carmelites--but there's an age limit there.

Some Dominicans--Marbury and Buffalo, mostly. I think Linden is going back to the wimple.

Poor Clares--but there's an age limit.

Visitation--it's called the barbette

Nuns of Perpetual Adoration--no age limit, from what I've heard.

Will post more if I think of them.

HTH

Blessings,
Gemma

I would recommend the Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Arlington, TX. Mother Maria sent me some information on their order, that can now be found on their website (not all of it, but the general portion), and I have gotten an invitation to visit them. Their order is beautiful, and they just got a new novice: Sr. Elizabeth Mary of the Heart of Jesus.

[url="http://www.carmelnuns.com/"]http://www.carmelnuns.com/[/url]

Saint Therese

[quote name='Gemma' post='1730856' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:26 PM']All the cloisters we represent wear the habit.

Wimple--hummm.

Most of the Bens--and they don't have much of an age limit.

Carmelites--but there's an age limit there.

Some Dominicans--Marbury and Buffalo, mostly. I think Linden is going back to the wimple.

Poor Clares--but there's an age limit.

Visitation--it's called the barbette

Nuns of Perpetual Adoration--no age limit, from what I've heard.

Will post more if I think of them.

HTH

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

The Lockport Dominicans also wear the wimple.

Sister Rose Therese

About the wimple thing. I think you should know that not all of the traditional habits had a wimple. I wouldn't get to caught up in that. You should be more concerned with what God wants of you.

I haven't checked out you list, but you might be able to get complete listings from the various associations or religious communities. (Poor Clares, Dominicans, Carmelites, ...) Also from IRL, CMSWR and LCWR.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1731411' date='Dec 18 2008, 03:34 PM']About the wimple thing. I think you should know that not all of the traditional habits had a wimple. I wouldn't get to caught up in that. You should be more concerned with what God wants of you.

I haven't checked out you list, but you might be able to get complete listings from the various associations or religious communities. (Poor Clares, Dominicans, Carmelites, ...) Also from IRL, CMSWR and LCWR.[/quote]

I agree. There's much more to religious life thanjust the habit. You should also think about-What particular type of work is God calling you to.

You could include The Petersham Benedictines

St. Scholastica Priory - Prioress Sr. Mary Elizabeth Kloss, OSB

The nuns of Our Lady Queen in Tickfaw Louisiana are moving to Peterhsam. Sr Mary Elizabeth will be the Prioress.