An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Aspirancy

Saint Therese

the lords sheep

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1739700' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:59 PM']Oh, thanks for that, Johnny - my neighbor and I are beginning weight watchers on January 2, and this will be helpful![/quote]

I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers. I lost more than 30 lbs in the past year. I hope you have success! It just takes a bit of work and discipline, and the weight will (eventually) come off. (Although, in the first 2 months, I only lost 3 lbs! You just have to give it time!)

Saint Therese

I can see that this topic as really resonated with everyone. Weight loss is very important for me, since I'm discerning, and also because I want to be healthy and not have a stroke or a heart attack when Im 40.
However, that being said, I think that it could be a temptation to make weight loss more important that it really is. Sometimes I have a tendency to tell myself that if I lose weight all my other "issues" will disappear, but of course that's not realistic. I think its important to put it in its proper place, not making it a fixer for one's whole life, or making being overweight a larger issue than it really is. Balance, for me, is very important. Actually, in the process of my weight loss, I have discovred that the opposite of what one would think happens happens. That is, one become more aware of deeper issues. It doesn't necessarily make things easier.

Edited by Saint Therese

the lords sheep

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1740026' date='Jan 1 2009, 01:55 AM']Actually, in the process of my weight loss, I have discovred that the opposite of what one would think happens happens. That is, one become more aware of deeper issues. It doesn't necessarily make things easier.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1740042' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:03 PM']:yes:[/quote]

I think it depends upon how one looks at it.....by deeper issues being uncovered and available for discernment/processing/healing life surely does get better if not "easier". So not to be argumentative - the point that "the opposite happens" is well taken - I do think shedding pounds (especially if the pounds have been added as a way of coping with stress/anxiety/other issues) makes life a good deal more satisfying (better, easier etc).

I also agree however that it is not a "cure all" in and of itself which is how our current body image obbessed culture would have us believe. I'm not sure who mentioned BALANCE (forgive me I don't have that post in front of me while I'm writing) but I believe you are spot on with that one.

Pax

Saint Therese

For me, caring about my health and wanting to lose weight is an extension of my desire to serve our Lord as best as I can and to do whatever is pleasing to him. I think this is the best way to avoid the vanity of being overly concerned or obessed about our appearances.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1742155' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:05 AM']For me, caring about my health and wanting to lose weight is an extension of my desire to serve our Lord as best as I can and to do whatever is pleasing to him. I think this is the best way to avoid the vanity of being overly concerned or obessed about our appearances.[/quote]

I have the same with wanting to get high grades - not because I want to be the best in my class, but because I want to graduate as soon as possible so that I might enter! :)

Saint Therese

For me, my weight loss journey has been a spiritual one. I've found days when I don't do very well with controlling my eating are days when I'm not prayerful. I do really well on days when I pray more, and I cling to Jesus and ask for his grace on a moment to moment basis. REally, that's the secret of my success so far.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1745581' date='Jan 7 2009, 07:30 PM']For me, my weight loss journey has been a spiritual one. I've found days when I don't do very well with controlling my eating are days when I'm not prayerful. I do really well on days when I pray more, and I cling to Jesus and ask for his grace on a moment to moment basis. REally, that's the secret of my success so far.[/quote]

absolutely the same with me. the days i am praying more, i am able to fast, east less, be more productive in my day, etc. it can also come in cycles.. sometimes a few weeks, or months at a time when i am on a roll, then others, like this holiday season when i really feasted.

perseverance! seek God's supernatural grace, not your own! controlling how you eat is so hard. i admire you girls, esp. with your struggle with weight in today's society. so beg God for help! cling to Our Lady and don't let go of her mantle until she rids you of your temptation!

• 2 years later...

Substantial conversation - thanks for renewing it.

I was always 10-20lbs overweight (maybe 30 after my father died, when I was 20) These 10-20lbs were the result of comfort feeding - feeling bad so applying food sedative/pepper-upper. After my conversion experience at age 26 things began to change because, by the grace of God and my response to His grace, I began to change. Healing came gradually and the extra weight "went away" - meaning, I lost weight [i]from the inside out. [/i]The extra weight had not been the actual problem. Rather, it was a symptom and sign and the result of my interior condition.

So, in my experience, the most effective path to "weight loss" is the path of inner healing.

I suppose if a person is seriously overweight then some attention can be given simultaneously to a diet but it seems to me a hazard for the person as the focus can shift away from where it ought to be, which is on treating the inner life. Perhaps a question like this is best put to a professional of some kind . . .

Edited by Aya Sophia

My grandson posed this question to me the other day, "Grandma, if God makes everything, why did He make French Fries 'cause they're so bad for you?" Tough question coming from a 4 1/2 y/o. A bit too young to explain the concept of free will, but I did my best. I've struggled with weight all my life. It's always been about 10 pounds that's got to go, but it's a stubborn 10 pounds. I must have gained and lost it hundreds of times over the years.
I've recently been diagnosed with ADD, and the diagnosis has been an answer to prayer. I'm much more focused now, not bouncing around from one task to another, and not stopping at the refrigerator so much. I've really become attuned to what I'm doing, including what I'm putting (or not putting) in my mouth. Again, it goes back to living in the present moment. About being aware of our everyday choices and their consequences - whether good or bad. Being more focused and aware has helped me shed that poundage. :heart: