An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names And Orders

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[b]What religious orders are you interested in, and why?

What religious name would you like to take?[/b]

I've been thinking a lot about the name that I want for when I become a religious sister. And I've thought of one that I really love:

Sr. M. Catherine Therese of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

M. of course for the Blessed Virgin Mary

Catherine after St. Catherine of Siena, the patron saint of the Church I was baptized, confirmed, and raised in. Coincidently, it's also my mom's middle name. And if you want to know something really cool, my retreat's small group's patron saint was St. Catherine of Siena! She follows me around.

Therese for St. Therese, who I love dearly, and who introduced me to the Carmelites by the movie, "Therese."

I have a very special devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Whenever I pray to the Sacred Heart, I feel a special connection. :)

I am really interested in the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI, and I plan to go for a vocation retreat there this February, if I can. Sr. M. Immaculata has been really helpful. I visited the Carmelite DCJ house in St. Louis, MO, but did not feel called to their province, however, the order really stuck and I started contemplating a second visit to a different province. Then I prayed about a sign, and got a card a few days before Christmas with a vocation card inside. I believed that to be the sign. :)

Maria Faustina

Well, first of all, I am interested in the Dominicans. They were founded to combat heresy by preaching the Gospel, which I think is exactly what our society could use more of. I have always loved to talk and debate about theology with my friends, and I love learning more about my faith in order to share it with others. "Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere" are words derived from Saint Thomas Aquinas meaning "To contemplate and to hand on to others the fruit of contemplation". This is one of the mottos of the Dominican Order, and I believe that contemplation, learning, and reflection is how we must pass on the faith to future generations, and then teach and preach what we have received in the solitude of contemplation. There are plenty of ears in the world, just not many morally correct mouths to preach to them. Maybe there are enough, but the clamor of society drown them out. We can never have too many Dominicans.

Now the community I am interested in has the soon-to-be novice choose three names and then Mother picks one of the three for the novice, or may choose a name not on the novice's list. I have yet to narrow it down to just three, but I have my favorites.

1. Sister Ave Maria (for Our Lady)
2. Sister Seraphina (for a saint I came across about a week ago and the Seraphim)
3. Sister Regina Coeli (for the Queen of Heaven)
4. Sister Josephina Bakhita (for a saint that I started asking for intercession a few months ago)
5. Sister Amata Faustina (for St. Faustina, one of my favortie saints)
6. Sister Zita (another one of my favorite saints)

I have a ton more, but I want to save you all the frustration of plowing throw a post longer than it should be :)

puellapaschalis

Benedictines. Because they rock. Also because I have a [i]donker bruin vermoeden[/i] that St. Benedict called me for his team when I was in my early teams and just isn't about to let go. I guess he thinks I'm good at the game or something :idontknow:

But mainly because they just rock. RB ftw!

TeresaBenedicta

I'm definitely interested in the Dominicans. Especially the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. It just fits me... To bless to praise to preach! I've always wanted to teach. I love learning, just for the sake of learning.... It's just me.

As for religious names... I suppose I haven't thought about it a lot. I would really love Sr. Teresa Benedicta, obviously ;), but there's already a sister by that name in the community (funny enough she is the blood sister of one of my seminarian friends). I have a growing devotion to the Blessed Mother, and to St. Maximillian Kolbe, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas... so perhaps a mixture of some of those? Let's see what I can pop-out..

Sr. Mary Teresa
Sr. Thomas Maria
Sr. Augustine Aquinas (hahaha)
Sr. Thomas Teresa (that's a mouthfull)
Sr. Mary Kolbe
Sr. Teresa Kolbe

Yeah, I don't know. I'm a long way from seeking entrance into a community, so I suppose I haven't given religious names much thought. Not to mention it scares the living daylight out of me.

Maria_Faustina

The Poor Clares, because they're awesome....:) and because I love their simple life, their penances like the year-round Lenten fast, their contemplative life, the Franciscan poverty (I love St. Francis. He was amazing...more than just the tree-hugger animal-freak people think he was..well, he was that too lol, but he also was very humble and SO in love with God! And he received the Stigmata...anyone who recieves that I have the utmost respect for), and...I think I am coming to love the enclosure. I know some aren't cloistered, but I know I'm supposed to be. I also know (I mean, there's the chance God could be completely playing tricks on me and later say, haha, just kidding, you're supposed to be a Benedictine/Divine Mercy sister/married, but....I really don't think so :) ) I'm called to the Poor Clares, so that is most definitely a reason why I like them! I was (and still am, though obviously not to as great of an extent) interested also in the Franciscans, the Carmelites, the (habited, traditional) Benedictines, and various missionary orders.

As far as my future name...well, it's interesting that you should ask, because I think He told me what it would be not too recently. I'm not as certain of it as of the order, but it has been sticking in my head, and at the time, it didn't seem like the thought came from me. It's weird to write it out! But: Sr. Mary Francis of the Divine Mercy. Ahh! So weird :). I would be honored to have St. Francis' name, and Mary's too, of course! And St. Faustina is my comfirmation/patron saint, so the Divine Mercy is very important to my life and my conversion. If that doesn't end up being it, I also like Maria, with Faustina, James, or Rose...of the Blessed Sacrament, of the Crucifixion, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, of the Annunciation, of our Lady of Guadalupe, and any title involving the Passion of Our Lord.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1741790' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:32 PM']The Poor Clares, because they're awesome....:) and because I love their simple life, their penances like the year-round Lenten fast, their contemplative life, the Franciscan poverty (I love St. Francis. He was amazing...more than just the tree-hugger animal-freak people think he was..well, he was that too lol, but he also was very humble and SO in love with God! And he received the Stigmata...anyone who recieves that I have the utmost respect for), and...I think I am coming to love the enclosure. I know some aren't cloistered, but I know I'm supposed to be. I also know (I mean, there's the chance God could be completely playing tricks on me and later say, haha, just kidding, you're supposed to be a Benedictine/Divine Mercy sister/married, but....I really don't think so :) ) I'm called to the Poor Clares, so that is most definitely a reason why I like them! I was (and still am, though obviously not to as great of an extent) interested also in the Franciscans, the Carmelites, the (habited, traditional) Benedictines, and various missionary orders.

As far as my future name...well, it's interesting that you should ask, because I think He told me what it would be not too recently. I'm not as certain of it as of the order, but it has been sticking in my head, and at the time, it didn't seem like the thought came from me. It's weird to write it out! But: Sr. Mary Francis of the Divine Mercy. Ahh! So weird :). I would be honored to have St. Francis' name, and Mary's too, of course! And St. Faustina is my comfirmation/patron saint, so the Divine Mercy is very important to my life and my conversion. If that doesn't end up being it, I also like Maria, with Faustina, James, or Rose...of the Blessed Sacrament, of the Crucifixion, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, of the Annunciation, of our Lady of Guadalupe, and any title involving the Passion of Our Lord.[/quote]

You sound so much like me, LOL! I saw myself in your post. I love St. Francis very much, and I hold the utmost respect for the saints that had stigmata, like St. Faustina (though hers was hidden), Padre Pio, and St. Catherine.

I love St. Faustina Kowalska very much and I just started reading her Diary. I feel a special kinship with her and I can relate to a lot of what she wrote about spiritual directors and not being able to find one (it took me 6 months to find one), and what she says about prayer just sounded like me. :) I might consider taking her name when I become a sister (God-willing).

The order I am interested in also allows the novice to choose 3 names, so I would hand these to the novice mistress or Superior:

Sr. M. Catherine Therese
Sr. M. Faustina Therese (or Therese Faustina)
Sr. M. Joseph Therese

As you can see, I love Therese very much! ;)

I love St. Catherine of Sienna! I am in the middle of reading the Dialogue right now, which is amazingly awesome, by the way.

Oh, and Maria Faustina - I know Sr. Ave Maria is taken, but I don't know about the others. :( Haha, many of the good ones are taken.

To answer the question, I am also interested in Dominicans (of St. Cecilia -- Nashville) and I'm actually going on the vocations retreat in a few days, so any prayers for that would be appreciated! I have tried not to think about names too much because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but my favorite of the moment is Sr. Maria Ancilla, with Ancilla being the Latin for handmaid (I am the handmaid of the lord!). It reflects our most holy Mother on such a joyful, blessed occasion, as well as my hope to do nothing but follow the will of God.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1741907' date='Jan 3 2009, 10:38 AM']I love St. Catherine of Siena! I am in the middle of reading the Dialogue right now, which is amazingly awesome, by the way.

Oh, and Maria Faustina - I know Sr. Ave Maria is taken, but I don't know about the others. :( Haha, many of the good ones are taken.

To answer the question, I am also interested in Dominicans (of St. Cecilia -- Nashville) and I'm actually going on the vocations retreat in a few days, so any prayers for that would be appreciated! I have tried not to think about names too much because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but my favorite of the moment is Sr. Maria Ancilla, with Ancilla being the Latin for handmaid (I am the handmaid of the lord!). It reflects our most holy Mother on such a joyful, blessed occasion, as well as my hope to do nothing but follow the will of God.[/quote]

That's beautiful! Wow, I love hearing what others have chosen! Ancilla is not one I would have thought of. :) I love that verse in Scripture from the Blessed Mother.

I will pray that you have a blessed retreat and that God fills your heart with His love! God bless you!

Edited by Carmeliteheart726

Maria Faustina

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1741907' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:38 AM']I love St. Catherine of Sienna! I am in the middle of reading the Dialogue right now, which is amazingly awesome, by the way.

To answer the question, I am also interested in Dominicans (of St. Cecilia -- Nashville) and I'm actually going on the vocations retreat in a few days, so any prayers for that would be appreciated! I have tried not to think about names too much because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but my favorite of the moment is Sr. Maria Ancilla, with Ancilla being the Latin for handmaid (I am the handmaid of the lord!). It reflects our most holy Mother on such a joyful, blessed occasion, as well as my hope to do nothing but follow the will of God.[/quote]

Prayers for the retreat! I hope you have an awesome time!

Aww man. First Maria Faustina was taken, now Ave Maria. Oh well it just isn't meant to be then. Well frenchfry, if you hear any of the others while you're on retreat, let me know lol ;)

Oh and Ancilla is a beautiful name!! I have never heard that before, great choice!!!

Edited by Maria Faustina

Mari Therese

The Sisters of Our Lady Immaculate!
Here's Why:
1.Eucharistic
2.Marian Devotion
3.Faithful to the Holy Father
4.Charism-Teach Catechism correctly and courageously, and they offer their lives so that Catholics may come to know their Faith and what it is to live a Catholic life.
5. Active/Contemplative-great prayer life!
6. Traditional religious life
7. Habit-a beautiful blue with Our Lady's scapular and rosary
8. Canadian

As for names I like:
Sr. Marie Therese
Sr. Mary Joseph (the foundress was Mother Mary Josephine)
Sr. Mary Martha
Sr. Mary Simon

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1741776' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:11 AM']I'm definitely interested in the Dominicans. Especially the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. It just fits me... To bless to praise to preach! I've always wanted to teach. I love learning, just for the sake of learning.... It's just me.

Sr. Mary Teresa
Sr. Thomas Maria
Sr. Augustine Aquinas (hahaha)
Sr. Thomas Teresa (that's a mouthfull)
Sr. Mary Kolbe
Sr. Teresa Kolbe[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they already have a Sr. Maria Kolbe. But they'd probably get a kick out of the Augustine Aquinas!

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1741947' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:26 PM']Oh and Ancilla is a beautiful name!! I have never heard that before, great choice!!![/quote]

Wow, Sr. Mary Ancilla - that's a great name! I'll pray for your intention on retreat!

VeniteAdoremus

We have a Sr. Ancilla at our church :) I like it a lot, but it's too much like my own name.

I don't know which name I want. Fortunately, I still have 18 months to think about it.

Oh, and for those who managed to forget in-between my shameless advertising: I'm an aspirant with the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in England. :) They're great friends with the Hawthorne Dominicans, and also have ties with Nashville, but their apostolates are more in direct preaching and faith formation - a bit like the Friars.

I'm glad you all like it! Now I just have to hope that it isn't taken - haha, and that I actually get accepted and make it through postulancy and all. :) Thanks so much for the prayers!!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1742000' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:08 PM']I'm pretty sure they already have a Sr. Maria Kolbe. But they'd probably get a kick out of the Augustine Aquinas![/quote]

Yeah, I noticed they have a Sr. Maria Kolbe last night. This post inspired me to go check out their website a little bit more. ;)

Augustine Aquinas would be great, lol. Augustine played a huge part in my conversion, and Thomas has helped me a lot academically. Plus, a philospher, I actually think there is less a bridge between Thomism and Augustinian philosophy than everyone says... just like there's less a bridge between Plato and Aristotle.