An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names And Orders

InHisLove726

Saint Therese

I'm discerning with the Lockport Dominicans.
The list ofnames I like constantly changes but right now I reallylike Mary Teresa of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus

Sr. Mariana Simone of the Incarnate Word

And as a girl I thought I would be a Poor Clare...but now in my old age, I think I'd be attracted to Carmel.

she_who_is_not

Dame Agnes,
I'm not currently discerning but I love your name. In fact, if God calls me to the married life I think it would be lovely for a daughter!

she_who_is_not

I think I'm going to say it out loud.

Benedictines (and Trappists, Cistercians) balance, simplicity, stability

I like the name Julian or Juliana

puellapaschalis

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1743764' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:30 AM']I think I'm going to say it out loud.

Benedictines (and Trappists, Cistercians) balance, simplicity, stability

I like the name Julian or Juliana[/quote]
:D

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1743823' date='Jan 6 2009, 02:33 AM']PP and I both love a certain Dame Julian :)[/quote]

:yes:

DevotedtoHim

Ok!

IF I become a Carmelite, here are my three choices:
Sister Mary Margaret of the Sacred Heart and the Holy Face
Sister Michael Mary of the Holy Face
Sister Elizabeth Marie of the Holy Trinity and the Holy Face

IF I become a Poor Clare, here are my three choices:
Sister Clare Marie of the Most Holy Eucharist (I know that's aiming high!)
Sister Anthony Marie of the Child Jesus
Sister Mary Joseph of the Queenship of Mary

IF I become a Dominican, here are my three choices:
Sister Mary Dominic of the Most Holy Rosary (I know, another aiming high choice!)
Sister Mary Agnes of the Virgin Martyrs
Sister Mary Thomas of the Queen of Martyrs

IF I become a Carthusian (but first I have learn Italian), here are my three choices:
Sister Ambrose Maria
Sister Mary Praxedes
Sister Maria Benedicta

IF I become a Benedictine/Cistercian, here are my three choices:
Sister Benedicta Marie
Sister John Paul Marie
Sister Mary Perpetua

I'll think of more!

Edited by DevotedtoHim

moon_child_anne

First off, I'm interested in the Sisters of Notre Dame.

If I could choose a religious name, I think I'd like:

Sister Mary Anne Therese (Anne for the mother of Mary and it was my confirmation name, Therese for St Therese).

OR

Sister Mary Anne Julia (or Julie)

Julie for St Julie Billiart, the saint that I chose for my patron. She was the foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and the spiritual foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame (the branch I'm interested in)

Peace,
Anne, PND

InHisLove726

I think I'm going to seriously consider:

Sr. Magdalena Marie of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Jesus has rescued me from the grips of the devil MANY times, so I feel like honoring Mary Magdalene because she was saved by Jesus before He died. Plus, I desire to make reparation to His Sacred Heart for the offenses I have committed against Him and the sins of the world. :D

Edited by InHisLove726

• 6 months later...
InHisLove726

I know this is an old topic from earlier this year, but like all things, my frivolities change rapidly. I no longer worry about what name I'm going to take in religion. I know God knows of my increasing devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Therese of Lisieux. I've also continued to develop an increasing devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. If someone asked me if I had to choose my name in religion right now, it would be:

Sr. Therese Marie of the Merciful Heart of Jesus

I know God will provide for me, and I know I might not have a choice when it comes to taking a name in religion. If my Superiors choose it for me, I know it will be a name that God has destined me to take. Maybe it will be even better than one I have chosen for myself! ;)

Well, I still like Sr. Mariana Simone of the Presentation of Christ

It covers Mary, Anna and makes an anagram of Simeon, who were the major players, there

Since I'll never use it, I wish someone would! Then I could bother you to pray for me all the time, since I provided the name! :lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

In my experience at OLAM, it was very interesting to see how sisters would be drawn to different names over their postulancy. Some changed frequently, some had no preferences, some were die hards...

I personally did not expect the name Faustina at all... But it was cool how I could see why I got it... I still feel much more like a Faustina than a Jennifer.

I'm discerning to the Servants of Mary, Mother of Sorrows.

And our prioress is Sister Ancilla Maria... :)

Every young sister gets the name of Mary nowadays (before II.Vatican they had to chose a new name).
My confirmation name will be Mary! :)

Khm, who is discerning with the Lockport Dominicans? Do you know Marjorie Bax? (now she is a junior sister, I don't know what her name is) How is she? *I don't know her just read some pages from her wonderful blog - chorusgirl.xanga.com *

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1939512' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:44 AM']I know this is an old topic from earlier this year, but like all things, my frivolities change rapidly. I no longer worry about what name I'm going to take in religion. I know God knows of my increasing devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Therese of Lisieux. I've also continued to develop an increasing devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. If someone asked me if I had to choose my name in religion right now, it would be:

Sr. Therese Marie of the Merciful Heart of Jesus

I know God will provide for me, and I know I might not have a choice when it comes to taking a name in religion. If my Superiors choose it for me, I know it will be a name that God has destined me to take. Maybe it will be even better than one I have chosen for myself! ;)[/quote]

That's a beautiful name to choose.

In my early discernment I thought about a name to have many of times. I knew that if I could choose it would have Mary in it of course, and I couldn't think of anything else but of having His most precious Sacred Heart as well.

I asked Mother Miriam at Buffalo about the name and how it's taken, and the Mother chooses it for the sister at the time she receives the habit. (I'm not sure if these rules apply to all cloistered Carmelite communities.) When you enter as a Postulant your Sister "your name"; example: Sister Moriah.

It is certainly better when Mother chooses the name, because it is not of your own choosing; not of your will. It is given to you by your Superior whose will the Lord very much wants to be fulfilled as if it were His own. So it is Jesus choosing the name for you, and it will be the most beautiful and perfect name because He wants it for you.