An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names And Orders

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1939627' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:58 AM']That's a beautiful name to choose.

In my early discernment I thought about a name to have many of times. I knew that if I could choose it would have Mary in it of course, and I couldn't think of anything else but of having His most precious Sacred Heart as well.

I asked Mother Miriam at Buffalo about the name and how it's taken, and the Mother chooses it for the sister at the time she receives the habit. (I'm not sure if these rules apply to all cloistered Carmelite communities.) When you enter as a Postulant your Sister "your name"; example: Sister Moriah.

It is certainly better when Mother chooses the name, because it is not of your own choosing; not of your will. It is given to you by your Superior whose will the Lord very much wants to be fulfilled as if it were His own. So it is Jesus choosing the name for you, and it will be the most beautiful and perfect name because He wants it for you.[/quote]

I love the tradition of calling the postulant, "Sister." That's beautiful. :) As I said, I do not mind if the name is chosen for me. I'll just have to pray extra hard that the Lord's will be done. And maybe pray a novena to St. Therese asking for her intercession. ;)

TeresaBenedicta

I love how the Servants of the Lord and of the Virgin Matara all take titles of Mary as a name...

I think my personal favorite is Sister Theotokos!

Hmm... :D

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1939778' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:29 PM']I love how the Servants of the Lord and of the Virgin Matara all take titles of Mary as a name...

I think my personal favorite is Sister Theotokos!

Hmm... :D[/quote]

Yes, it can be quite hilarious since they shorten them (Sr. Golgotha, anyone?).

The sisters at the mission post where I used to hang out had already decided I was going to be Sr. Turris Eburnea. :mellow:

At OLAM the Sisters tease every postulant that her name will be Sister Mary Cunegunda. Very cool blessed, actually. Just not such a beautiful name, unfortunately.

I told everyone I wanted Sister Maria Polycarp, Sister Paphnutius Marie or Sister Mary Cunegunda. (Jokingly...) But one of the older sisters thought I was serious, so on the day of my investiture she made a copy of a holycard of St. Polycarp and stuck it at my place in the refectory. :lol: I thought it was very funny... I couldn't figure out who had done it... It was almost a year later when I realized who it had been, and that she seriously thought I'd been hoping for that. :lol_roll:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939978' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:03 PM']Yes, it can be quite hilarious since they shorten them (Sr. Golgotha, anyone?).

The sisters at the mission post where I used to hang out had already decided I was going to be Sr. Turris Eburnea. :mellow:[/quote]

Or when they yell down, "Blessed Sacramen, can you..." LOL That was one I never got used to hearing.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1940051' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:09 PM']Or when they yell down, "Blessed Sacramen, can you..." LOL That was one I never got used to hearing.[/quote]

Or someone asking if you've seen St. John lately. :huh: That was actually just weird when I was an aspirant. I got used to that fairly quickly. :lol:

Edited by zunshynn

I like the name that the MFVA's postulant got at his investiture yesterday...

Brother Malachi Mary of the Eternal High Priest... that's one of the titles I'd wanted...

elizabeth09

What religious name would you like to take?

I am intersest in Carmelite Sisters D.C.J.

For my relious name might be:

Sr. Marie Therese (Marie for Our Mother and for the Little Flower)

Sr. Mary Elizabeth (John and Jesus mothers)

I really like my first one.

VeniteAdoremus

The DCJs give titles!

My community doesn't, but if they did I would have taken the Trinity, the Incarnation, or Jesus the eternal High Priest :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Noemi' post='1940315' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:21 PM']In the order I discern to even the novices aren't called as "Sister ..." :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hum. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't think I'd like it :) I don't mind not being a sister as a postulant, though - I kind of like changing my name at the same time as becoming a sister.

Sr. M. Faustina

JMJV

Greetings in the Heart of Christ! When I entered our Community (Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church), I had not really thought too much about which name I wanted because I had only known about one other community and they did not take a Religious name as a Postulant. However, we do. So, when Mother asked me, my first thought was Sister Mary Teresa. Mary for our Blessed Mother and Teresa because I had a great friend who really helped guide me in my spiritual life as I became Catholic and continued to discern God's calling for me. In God's Divine Providence, Mother did not accept that name because we had too many Sisters with a form of Teresa in their name at that time. Fortunate for me, the only other Saint I really knew about (I had only been Catholic for a little over two years and didn't know too much about the Saints) was Saint Faustina. Mother accepted that and I received the name Sister M. Faustina!
As the years pass, I realize that my name was truly chosen by God. The anniversary of the Divine Mercy Apparition to Saint Faustina is on February 22nd. Again, in God's Divine Providence, I made my Final Profession this year on February 22, 2009! Isn't God good! Just one more way He has confirmed for me in my heart that I am fulfilling His will by being here as a Sister of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Sister M. Faustina, SCMC

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1940322' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:30 PM']Hum. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't think I'd like it :) I don't mind not being a sister as a postulant, though - I kind of like changing my name at the same time as becoming a sister.[/quote]

They receive the "Mary" during first profession - and they invest during juniorate.

The novice sisters wear blue "jumper" and skyblue blouse and the professed sisters wear black habit, veil. The older sisters even wear a scapular.

[quote name='Noemi' post='1940365' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:04 AM']They receive the "Mary" during first profession - and they invest during juniorate.

The novice sisters wear blue "jumper" and skyblue blouse and the professed sisters wear black habit, veil. The older sisters even wear a scapular.[/quote]

What is the difference between a novice and a postulant then?

And when you say older sisters wear the scapular do you mean those older in age, or the perpetually professed?

Sr. M. Faustina

[quote name='Sr. M. Faustina' post='1940347' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:41 AM']JMJV

"I received the name Sister M. Faustina!"

One additional comment... The "M." stands for Mary. In our community, every Sister has some form of Mary in their name. We have a great devotion to Our Blessed Mother.

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Sister M. Faustina, SCMC[/quote]

Edited by Sr. M. Faustina