An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching Catechism

dominicansoul

she_who_is_not

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1750264' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:13 PM']that's a great idea...and i know who i will get to do it!

...yups....

...i know a secret.....

something BIG is brewing in TEXAS![/quote]

Dominicansoul,
Secrets drive me crazy! You can't tease me like that!!!

dominicansoul

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1750363' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:39 PM']My question is, did they whoopie cushion you?[/quote]
:lol: nope. maybe next week! :sweat:

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1750407' date='Jan 13 2009, 05:20 PM']Dominicansoul,
Secrets drive me crazy! You can't tease me like that!!![/quote]
sorry for the tease...

but something[spoiler] BIG is coming [/spoiler] to Texas and I can't wait until the whole world knows about it....!!!

(the whole world being vocation station here on phatmass!)

until the big [spoiler]announcement[/spoiler], ...my lips are sealed....:shutup:

Edited by dominicansoul

dominicansoul

okay,

week 2: students told me that they don't attend Sunday Mass...there was not one of them who could say they come on a regular basis!

:mellow:

suggestions on how to get them to start coming to Mass? I know it all has to do with the parents!

In my experience, if there is enough whining, the modern parent will give in. The trick consists in making Mass important enough to the kids that they will mercilessly badger their parents to take them.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1755254' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:28 AM']In my experience, if there is enough whining, the modern parent will give in. The trick consists in making Mass important enough to the kids that they will mercilessly badger their parents to take them.[/quote]
That can be quite tough, depending on the community you live in and the age group. I have 8th graders to try to convince to be holy, let alone seek the sacraments! I have a fun curriculum this year: morality and peace and justice. We'll be getting into decision making and sex soon.

Forgive my ignorance if you already mentioned, but how old are your kids you teach? If they are 6th grade and under, you can always allure them with a reward for going to Mass and being holy in general. Like, you can offer them 'holy dollars' or stickers and with so many, they can get something holy in exchange, like a holy card or a medal or something unique or interesting. They would get dollars/stickers for going to Mass, confession, helping with chores, doing good deeds, service projects, etc.
I wanted to try that, but I always get hung up on looking weird or sounding like a religious fanatic.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

dominicansoul

i taught the kids this week about venial sin and mortal sin...

i told them it was a mortal sin to miss Mass on Sundays, and they really need to get their parents to bring them...I told them it isn't their fault, since they can't drive themselves to Church, but they need to tell their parents that they need to come!

NEXT WEEK's LESSON: The Holy Eucharist!!! :love:

keep praying for me, phamily!!!