An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching Catechism

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

Dear pham,

I am teaching catechism for the first time in so many years, and I am a little nervous about it! Will you all please pray for me!

I want to share with you a letter I sent out to all the parents. Please pray that our semester will be blessed with abundant fruit! I really care for these kids and want them to establish a deep relationship with Jesus Christ!

They are 4th-graders!

Thanks and God bless you for all your prayerful support.

Here's the letter I will send out to the parents:

[quote]Dear Parent,

I am taking over as teacher for your child’s Religious Instruction. I would like to introduce myself. My name is [spoiler]Patricia Jean-Elizabeth Ferrer[/spoiler]. I was born and raised in [spoiler]San Marcos[/spoiler] TX. I attended Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic School in the late ‘70s. I graduated from [spoiler]San Marcos High[/spoiler] in ’89 and received my Bachelor’s degree from [spoiler]Southwest Texas State University[/spoiler] in ’94.

I entered the convents of the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN., (2001) and also the convent of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, MI. (2003-2005.) I never took vows, and after discerning, returned home to care for my elderly mother.

I am well-formed in the Dominican Tradition, and this is the spirituality I will be sharing with your child.

I am a devout Catholic, and I feel very strongly about our Church. I want your child to take advantage of the opportunities that will be given in this upcoming semester. I would like for your child to accomplish the following:

1. Learn the basic Catholic prayers

2. Take part in the Sacrament of Reconciliation

3. Attend Mass as a class as well as attend Mass on Holy Days of Obligation with Parents/Guardians

4. At the end of the semester, an exam will be given. All students passing with a grade of B+ and higher will receive a Dominican cross, showing his/her accomplishment.

I am praying for your child and I hope this semester will help him/her to form a deep relationship with Jesus Christ and begin a life-long commitment to the Church.

I am devoting this class to the patronage of St. Catherine of Sienna, a Dominican Lay-Sister who once said, “If you are who you are supposed to be, you will set the world on fire.”

I want your children to receive the very best instruction in the Catholic Faith. I cannot do this alone, and I hope I will have your support in helping me to achieve the goals set for your child this semester.

God bless,

[spoiler]Patricia J.E. Ferrer[/spoiler]

If you wish to contact me you may at the following:
[spoiler]pf03@txstate.edu

(512) 968-4000[/spoiler]

I would love to hear from you and I may be scheduling some appointments to speak with you personally about your child’s formation in our catechetical program. Please sign this letter and send it back with your child, so that I may know you read it. Thank you.

X__________________________________ (signature of parent/guardian)[/quote]

What do you guys think? Any helpful criticism would be truly appreciated! (I posted this in vocation station, because this is my vocation right now!) :)

Edited by dominicansoul

Don't be disappointed if you don't get all the signed letters back. 4th grade isn't exactly the easiest group to teach.

dominicansoul

i'll try not to be disappointed.

the funny thing is, the Church where I am teaching is taking all the students that have shown a lack of interest in the past semester, and putting them together in one class under my instruction! So, you see, the challenge I face is a very real one...

the lords sheep

I taught 4th grade Catechism in NYC, so I can definitely relate to "lack of interest."

God will give you the grace to touch their hearts, even if you don't see the fruits of your work.
God bless you!

I heard a priest who explained about kerygma (sp?); it's essentially the power of the Holy Spirit in the preached Word - the theory is that it's the kerygma that touches someone, not really the preacher's wordds in and of themselves.

I will pray that God invest your preaching/teaching with kerygma that will move your students beyond "lack of interest."

Many prayers for a succesful year. Even if the students don't seem responsive, you may have planted a seed of faith that will grow many years from.

Maria Faustina

That's a good introduction letter. I'm sure the parents will be pleased that you provided enough information for them to know who you are and that you are serious about this responsibility. Nice job, and it's always good to provide contact information...I have had many teachers who never bothered to think of that.....

Oh and..I LOVE the Dominican cross idea. I want to be in your class haha!!!

dominicansoul

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1748853' date='Jan 11 2009, 05:31 PM']That's a good introduction letter. I'm sure the parents will be pleased that you provided enough information for them to know who you are and that you are serious about this responsibility. Nice job, and it's always good to provide contact information...I have had many teachers who never bothered to think of that.....

Oh and..I LOVE the Dominican cross idea. I want to be in your class haha!!![/quote]
LOL!

I'm initiating a "Jr. Dominican" Club, so that they will receive not only catechesis, but a great lesson on Dominican Spirituality and "become" little Dominicans!

It went very well today! Thanks all for your prayers and words! I can't wait til next week!!!

Maria Faustina

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1748920' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:09 PM']LOL!

I'm initiating a "Jr. Dominican" Club, so that they will receive not only catechesis, but a great lesson on Dominican Spirituality and "become" little Dominicans!

It went very well today! Thanks all for your prayers and words! I can't wait til next week!!![/quote]

Get them while they're young :evil: ........ haha just kidding ;)
If you had to go with any spirituality to complement a Catechesis class-Dominican is the one!!
Dominicans are just beastly at preaching like that :))

moon_child_anne

I think this letter is very good. I also love the idea that you'll be giving them Dominican crosses. Will you do us all a favor and teach the kids about vocations to religious life as well? We need more nuns/priests and starting young is the way to go (it's how the sisters used to do it).

What kind of background knowledge/classes do you need to take to teach this???? I'd like to know because my community is encouraging me to look at ministry choices and what kind of education I'd need.

Peace,
Anne, PND

dominicansoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1748857' date='Jan 11 2009, 05:40 PM']I've thought about teaching CCD but I get really nervous in public speaking.[/quote]
I do too. But I pray a whole lot before I actually do this, and it really, really helps... :)

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1749861' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:28 PM']I think this letter is very good. I also love the idea that you'll be giving them Dominican crosses. Will you do us all a favor and teach the kids about vocations to religious life as well? We need more nuns/priests and starting young is the way to go (it's how the sisters used to do it).

What kind of background knowledge/classes do you need to take to teach this???? I'd like to know because my community is encouraging me to look at ministry choices and what kind of education I'd need.

Peace,
Anne, PND[/quote]

Sadly, I feel the church doesn't do enough to ensure that those teaching Catechism in schools/parishes have adequate background/knowledge. Of course, there are many that do, but in my area, for the last 30 years, anyone can teach without any real proof of having any sort of Religious education whatsoever! <_< This is why I emphasized in my letter to parents my background/knowledge and experience. I also expressed my great love for our Holy Church. I don't even know if they care, or if it matters to them, but I'm making it matter to them because I want them to know who is teaching their child.

I guess to answer your question, it depends on where you choose to serve. Some dioceses do it differently. In mine, there doesn't seem to be any requirements to teach, and sadly, you aren't even required to prove that you even know your Faith...

As for religious vocations, I have already told the children that I was in the convent and I wore the precious habit of St. Dominic. They had no idea what a convent was or even what a SISTER is!!! You know I'm gonna do something about that! :)

Edited by dominicansoul

the lords sheep

You should see if you can get a religious to come in and talk. One of my friends, a CFR friar, came in and spoke to the 4th through 8 grades. They loved him and they all had TONS of questions for him!

dominicansoul

that's a great idea...and i know who i will get to do it!

...yups....

...i know a secret.....

something BIG is brewing in TEXAS!