An Old School Catholic Message Board

Got A Call From The Carmelite Dcj Vocation Director!

InHisLove726

Tonight, I got a call from Sr. M. Immaculata Osterhaus of the Northern Province for the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI! I sent her a letter after short email correspondence, explaining why I was contacting them, and she wanted to tell me that their Vocation Retreat is at the end of February (don't know the exact date; she said it should be posted on their website soon). So, I am looking at flight arrangements, not knowing if I'll be able to get up there, but I'm going to try my hardest! :D I'm trying to have a garage sale, but it's hard to raise money when you aren't working. UGH! So I'm asking for your prayers that I can get up there somehow.

I asked her about the nursing thing because I was thinking about going to nursing school, but I wanted to be sure that it would come in handy if I decided to join. She said that almost all of the sisters who work in the nursing homes and teen centers are nurses, and if they aren't, the sisters pay for the nursing degree if they need to! So, that's nice! If I, for some reason, am called to enter before I finish my degree, I'll have the cushion.

I'm so excited! I really feel this is where God is calling me, so I want to get up there ASAP. Sr. Immaculata is so sweet. I was so nervous because I wasn't expecting the call, but I wanted to ask her some questions while I was on the phone with her. I'm thinking about calling her back when I am ready to talk some more. This is moving very quickly, and I'm at such peace with it. :D

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1753605' date='Jan 17 2009, 02:02 AM']Good luck getting your trip together![/quote]

This is wonderful news; you sound so excited and happy! I will pray that you are able to make the retreat with God's help!

VeniteAdoremus

Be careful with Carmelite DCJ vocation weekends. They have a way of turning your life upside down (even if you're trying your hardest [i]not[/i] to go there).

Have a good time! :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1754592' date='Jan 18 2009, 06:37 PM']Be careful with Carmelite DCJ vocation weekends. They have a way of turning your life upside down (even if you're trying your hardest [i]not[/i] to go there).

Have a good time! :)[/quote]

What do you mean?? LOL! I have already been to one in St. Louis, MO with the Sisters there, but I want to discern with another Province.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1754592' date='Jan 18 2009, 06:37 PM']Be careful with Carmelite DCJ vocation weekends. They have a way of turning your life upside down (even if you're trying your hardest [i]not[/i] to go there).

Have a good time! :)[/quote]

what do you mean with that? im also getting to know the order finally!
they are great carmelites! they are true example of Contmeplative and aopstolicc order. the balance of both leads them to holiness. they have great community of religious too! is that what you want to say? :unsure:

Edited by heart

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1753569' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:35 AM']Tonight, I got a call from Sr. M. Immaculata Osterhaus of the Northern Province for the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI! I sent her a letter after short email correspondence, explaining why I was contacting them, and she wanted to tell me that their Vocation Retreat is at the end of February (don't know the exact date; she said it should be posted on their website soon). So, I am looking at flight arrangements, not knowing if I'll be able to get up there, but I'm going to try my hardest! :D I'm trying to have a garage sale, but it's hard to raise money when you aren't working. UGH! So I'm asking for your prayers that I can get up there somehow.

I asked her about the nursing thing because I was thinking about going to nursing school, but I wanted to be sure that it would come in handy if I decided to join. She said that almost all of the sisters who work in the nursing homes and teen centers are nurses, and if they aren't, the sisters pay for the nursing degree if they need to! So, that's nice! If I, for some reason, am called to enter before I finish my degree, I'll have the cushion.

I'm so excited! I really feel this is where God is calling me, so I want to get up there ASAP. Sr. Immaculata is so sweet. I was so nervous because I wasn't expecting the call, but I wanted to ask her some questions while I was on the phone with her. I'm thinking about calling her back when I am ready to talk some more. This is moving very quickly, and I'm at such peace with it. :D[/quote]

Prayers for your trip arrangements on the way.

+JMJ

You are very much in my prayers. You sound very solid and normal (unlike me, confused and scared!). :)

May God bless you, hold you, and grant you peace as you discern!

Lots of prayers your way...

Katherine

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1783462' date='Feb 17 2009, 12:53 PM']+JMJ

You are very much in my prayers. You sound very solid and normal (unlike me, confused and scared!). :)

May God bless you, hold you, and grant you peace as you discern!

Lots of prayers your way...

Katherine[/quote]

Appearances can be deceiving. I was VERY confused and scared at the beginning of my discernment, mostly because the idea of religious life was so new to me that I didn't understand it's implications. It's strange how much that has changed. I don't even recognize myself sometimes! :) Of course, I still experience occasional doubts, but overall, YES, I feel comfortable in my discernment and I firmly believe that Carmel is my future home.

Don't worry, you will get there! It's all a matter of patience and prayer, and of course, talking to your spiritual director (I hope you have one). :) Eventually, and when God wills it, you will know, too, where He wants you to be. I definitely suggest Adoration! That's how my inner peace and contemplation was fostered. I love silence very much. In fact, today, I was overwhelmed with peace and contemplation in Jesus because of the prayerful weather. Today's atmosphere is very conducive to my prayer life. I was so happy that I went to Mass this morning. I feel totally in love with God and His creation. :)

I am heading out to Milwaukee on Friday, so please pray that I make it there safely to see the Carmelite DCJ sisters! I am so happy! :)

If you ever need a prayer, or support, or both, Katherine, just PM me here, or I would be happy to have you as a friend on Facebook. I know how difficult it can be sometimes to not be able to talk to anyone, especially if none of your friends are discerning. Please let me know! God bless you! And you are in my prayers today for those who need support and desire peace and comfort in our Loving Lord Jesus. <3

Edited by InHisLove726

In The Arms of The Lord

I am so happy and excited for you!!! You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back. :)

You know i'm keeping you in my prayers! I pray that you have a great time and that you become closer to the Lord while your there.

God Bless you.