An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies Of The Grail In Ohio

HollyDolly

:smokey: While surfing the net one day, i came across some information on Dorothy Day.
It mentioned she had spent some time with the Ladies of the Grail, in Ohio. Apparently they are a religious community that was founded in the Netherlands in 1921.They have convents in the US and elsewhere. They also known as The Grail.

Has anyone ever been to their place in Ohio or done any discernment with them?
Also, there is another dutch community in Pittsburgh,called the Ladies of Bethany, they too are international.Do any of our international posters know anything about them?
Can't recall how i found the Bethany ladies.

VeniteAdoremus

The Grail movement went weird, then extinct here in the Netherlands (but, I must stress, I don't know anything about the international branches).

I know a bit about them because our seminary recently moved to their former motherhouse.

The Ladies of the Grail in the UK are a Secualr Institute with many categories of membership. See [url="http://www.grailsociety.org.uk/"]Grail web site[/url]

puellapaschalis

Is this the same Grail that holds a suffocating stranglehold on the approved liturgical translation of the psalms?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1763674' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:46 PM']Is this the same Grail that holds a suffocating stranglehold on the approved liturgical translation of the psalms?[/quote]

The one in the UK? :yes:

Don't know if they're the same as the one in Ohio.

puellapaschalis

The word "Grail" makes me think of one of the following things:
[list]
[*]Monty Python
[*]Catholic Hippies
[*]Weird Hippy Catholics
[*]Silly books talking about random quests to prove Our Lord actually played American Football rather than football (when in fact everyone knows He played rugger and cricket)
[*]Some bizarre combination of the above
[/list]
I wonder if other UKers have something similar.

Edited by puellapaschalis

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1763674' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:46 PM']Is this the same Grail that holds a suffocating stranglehold on the approved liturgical translation of the psalms?[/quote]
Yes, though I'd probably try to put it a little more diplomatically!

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1763780' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:11 PM']The one in the UK? :yes:

Don't know if they're the same as the one in Ohio.[/quote]

Yes, I think they are the same. I guess the community in the Netherlands went crazy with liberal and New Age ideas, so that is why they are extinct in your homeland.
Hard to say really I guess.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Digitaldame' post='1764430' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:18 AM']Yes, though I'd probably try to put it a little more diplomatically![/quote]

Blegh, whenever I try to be diplomatic I either end up failing miserably, or wanting to top myself. Being blunt is much healthier.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1764604' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:56 PM']Blegh, whenever I try to be diplomatic I either end up failing miserably, or wanting to top myself. Being blunt is much healthier.[/quote]

I am so glad I'll be among the first to know if you enter somewhere, so I can start a daily Rosary for your novice mistress :)

It's true, they went all new-agey here, decades ago. One of the seminarians described it as "courses in meditative vegetable chopping ([i]meditatief groentehakken[/i])". I fell of my chair laughing, it was so true. Sad, but true.

• 8 years later...

Yes, Grailville is related.They still are active  in the United States  and you can look them up.Apparently two  of their centers in the US  are still alined with the catholic church, but the ones in Ohio are no longer affiliated with the Church.

There is a new international history of the Grail that was published earlier this year: The movement is very much alive. And the history is excellent--I know, because I wrote a pre-publication review of it. 

They certainly don't deserve the mockery of people who are utterly unfamiliar with them. Seriously, what is happening here?

https://www.amazon.com/Women-Vision-Founders-International-Movement/dp/1944769692/

Amen, Nunsuch!  It must be a full moon again :)))  Seriously, this is reminiscent of another thread that went south rather quickly a month or so ago.  I''m beginning to wonder if some of the same posters have resigned on with different screen names.  It's odd.