Oh no, you found us. I don't know how, but you found us. Run for it Marty! This is an old archived version of our forums and is now closed. Our new and improved Catholic Community will be ready tomorrow. You may still access your private messages on THIS board for a limited time only.

Photo

Communion Practice

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 icelandic_iceskater

icelandic_iceskater

spes

• n00b
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

TRIPLE POST :woot: :woot:

Edited by icelandic_iceskater, 25 February 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#22 eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

Captain of the Guard

• Church Militant
  • 11,751 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

I didn't get to practice at all (Smarties not a near substitute for practice at all) and ........................well............
.......it wasn't pretty. Ended up coming very close to making a mess on the floor and ended up running to the bathroom. It turned out okay and I made it. :mellow:

Definitely one to advocate real practice though as it's real bad if you get up there and begin to choke. :wacko:

#23 StColette

StColette

Aaron & Mary's Mommy

• Church Scholar
  • 20,030 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Adam,

I was thinking about this as well a week or so ago. I'm instructing the First Communion class this year. I've decided to practice receiving Communion with flat shaped candies or crackers. I didn't think giving them unconsecrated hosts was a good idea. I'm afraid that even though they understand the difference between unconsecrated hosts and consecrated hosts it may cause confusion for them to practice with unconsecrated hosts. Children learn a lot through visuals and I'm afraid that they would come to see the hosts as something to practice with or whatever, you get my meaning. I think practicing with something other than a unconsecrated hosts will help keep that line of definition of sacredness of the Eucharist for the kids. That way when they receive for the first time they will KNOW it is Jesus and this will stick better in their minds. I'm afraid that if I gave them unconsecrated hosts it might cause confusion when they actually receive the Eucharist. I can imagine some of them going "Is this Jesus or is it not?"

#24 homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

It is uncouthed to speak illy of the dead.

• Church Militant
  • 37,541 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

I'm not saying one way or the other what to do, but think of this:

Most 7 year olds are not at all familiar with the taste of wine. When children encounter a beverage that they don't like, they tend to backwash. Multiply times the number of First Communicants.

If you go with a different "practice communion" there is really nothing surprising about the Host (flavor-wise that is). Necco wafers would work. Non-alcoholic Catawba juice tends to have a similar flavor to wine and could be used.... though, on second thought, I think that has bubbles... Hmmm....

One thing I told each of my children was to keep their lips closed on the chalice. Let the Precious Blood hit their lip and then discretely lick it off. There's never really more than a tiny drop. Neither one of them received under both species beyond First Communion.

eta: :lol:

I just looked up Necco Wafers on Wikipedia for kicks... and this was there:

Necco wafers are often used as stand-ins for communion wafers by children who are practicing for the Eucharist.

#25 cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

Mother of Phatmass

• Church Militant
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

my parish doesn't use wine for communion practice. Something about running into legal issues giving alcohol to kids under 21. :eye_roll:

But they have no legal issue with actual Communion?

#26 kavalamyself

kavalamyself

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

We got to practice! Sister kept a plastic container on her desk with the unconsecrated hosts in it!

#27 Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

PM Super Alien

• n00b
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

My parents don't receive the Precious Blood because "it's not what they used to do" and also because of practical concerns about germs, so I didn't have the problem of dealing with the taste of wine at my First Communion. We didn't have practice, either. They MAY have told us about receiving on the tongue, but I never saw people receiving that way unless they were holding infants, until about six years ago, which gave one the idea that it was just a more convenient method...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users