An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cath's Corner

CatherineM

In this time of belt tightening, here are some of my favorite little money savers.

Don't throw away batteries that you've used in electronics or cameras. Just because they can't run those high powered items anymore, doesn't mean they are empty. I use them in things like battery clocks and remote controls. The battery in my alarm clock has worked for two years after my camera said it was empty.

Most commercial shampoos and conditioners are twice as dense as they need to be. Save your old bottle, and put half the new bottle into the old. Fill each with water, and you have twice as much. I find it lathers in easier when thinner, and rinses our easier as well, saving you time.

We use power bars on just about everything in the house. People have no idea how much phantom electricity they use. When we got married, I cut my husband's former electric bills in half by doing this. We have one on the microwave, all TV's and computers and such. The only thing that stays on when we leave the house, or go to sleep is the fridge, and oven. The oven is a pain to reset the clock on. Regular lamps aren't a problem, but if it has a clock or remote, it is on even when you turn it off.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1766740' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:40 PM']CatherineM,

You need to write [i]another[/i] book.[/quote]
fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

You wouldn't happen to know what to do about obnoxiously frizzy hair, would you? :unsure:

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1766740' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:40 PM']CatherineM,

You need to write a book.[/quote]

Already did. I thoroughly hate book signings.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1766747' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:50 PM']fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

You wouldn't happen to know what to do about obnoxiously frizzy hair, would you? :unsure:[/quote]

A lot of frizz is because your hair is too dry. First make sure you keep yourself hydrated. Don't wash your hair everyday because you are just washing the natural oils out. Change your shampoo often because using the same one can coat the hair in wax, thereby keeping treatments from reaching. Each shampoo is a little different, so one will wash another out rather than build on top. Look for shampoos that contain humectants such as glycerin or glycol. That's the stuff in those little packets that come in medicine bottles to keep them dry. They naturally attract moisture out of the air. Hot oil treatments don't work unless you use an essential oil. They can coat the pores just as bad as shampoos.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1766747' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:50 PM']fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

....[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1766775' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:20 PM']Already did. I thoroughly hate book signings.[/quote]

Why? :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/kairos+28/track/i+still+havent+found+what+im+looking+for"]Kairos 28 - I Still Have'nt Found What I'm Looking For[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1766827' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:48 PM']Why? :mellow:[/quote]

I hate being the center of attention. I'm actually quite shy in person. If I had known so many people were going to read the silly thing, I'd have left some of the more personal stuff out. People ask me such personal questions, and they fawn all over me. It makes me uncomfortable. People want to look at my scars. I signed copies that were going to Singapore this week. Why would somebody in Singapore want to read a book about a naive white girl going up against a bunch of white supremacists? Last Saturday, I spent several hours at a Catholic Women's League book club listening to all these women discuss it like I wasn't there. I wanted to just melt out of my chair, and slide under the door. Good thing they were serving wine.

My tip for today is if you have a bad back, don't lift something heavy, especially when bent down.

I am now paying for my inadvisable actions. I tend to do this when I'm feeling good because I forget. My body always reminds me though. Sometimes it really smells of elderberries being a cripple.

So that means 48 hours of rest, no more no less. The first day is complete rest. The second day is moderately moving around. The third day you have to start rehab. Staying down more than 48 hours makes it worst. The meds are great though. I think I even started seeing things this morning.